PG Music Home
Greetings,

I have an issue that is driving me crazy...

Since I can't seem to use my Sampled piano (VI labs American Steinway)while using BIAB, I have to record my midi parts using the built in Coyote Piano, but the real issue is the Pitch, it is sharp compared to Where the RTs are at, I don't have perfect pitch, but I do have strong relative pitch, and its very hard to listen to. Can someone help plz??

Thanks,
Edward
Edward, you will need to use pitch bend to make the note flatter or sharper. If you don't have a pitch bend wheel or pitch bend/modulation (CC1) joystick you will have to manually insert one. This is done via the event list, however I use Sonar for this type of in-depth work so someone with either BiaB or RT event list skills will have to help you.

If you are not familiar with pitch bend this will either raise or lower a note or notes. The range is determined by the software/hardware that you are using. The most common range is two octaves but in many cases you can adjust this range in the software/hardware to whatever suits your needs, or example +/- 5 octaves or +/- 5 cents. You will be working in the cents area. If you already know this then I apologize for the redundancy.

Ps - another thought. If you have pitch correction software you might be able to correct the pitches. The problem here is the only one that I know of that really works for polyphonic instruments is Melodyne Editor and that one is expensive.
Problem might also be soundcard sample rate. You might want to reset to 44.1k and see if that solves the problem.
Be aware that in some synths, you can go in to the control panel of the individual synth and change the pitch up and down one cent at a time.

Each synth has it's own unique way of doing this. Not all synths are tunable but most are. You may have to dig around to find the way to get to the tuning fields..... but dig in and look.

The synths have the ability to tune to allow you to play in tune to audio tracks that are not A-440. The very situation you are describing.
You can also tune BIAB. GM-Master Tuning. Later, Ray
Have you determined whether or not your MIDI synth is tuned to A440? If you have a guitar or chromatic tuner it should be an easy test.

To me the first step would be to determine which is out of tune, the RT or the synth, then when I had that information, I would proceed to fix the faulty one.

I wouldn't use pith correction software except as a very last resort, as it won't solve the problem, just mask it, and may introduce other problems.

Insights and incites by Notes
Thanks guys,

This is the Coyote synth that is standard in BIAB, but I'm going to try to do the fix mentioned about, thanks again, I'll report back!
Edward
I just tried the GM master tuning change, but it says my soundcard doesn't support it. I would love to use my VST Piano (VI Labs American Steinway, its amazing)but I can't seem to get BIAB in ASIO mode and use my Piano at the same time!
Edward
© PG Music Forums