PG Music Home
I would like to create a melody/soloist and then select a RealTrack instrument and have that
instrument play the notes from the melody/soloist.
Or, am I thinking that a midi vst/dxi should be doing this.

I guess the next phase for BIAB would be RI*(Real Instruments*).

-Roy

*Copyright, Roy, 2009
It is not currently possible.
Use your MIDI synth to play specified notes.

Mixing in a RealTrack or two with the RealDrums and your MIDI synth notes can really make those MIDI tracks sound more realistic.

--Mac
Quote:

Use your MIDI synth to play specified notes.

Mixing in a RealTrack or two with the RealDrums and your MIDI synth notes can really make those MIDI tracks sound more realistic.

--Mac

echoing what MAC said, I've found that when I want to add a melody the following procedure works pretty well, and ends up sounding pretty good:

1) get all your background music in place

2) pick a RT background track for the instrument you want to solo... for this, sparse is better
(I've noticed that as it follows the specified chords, a background track often plays many of the melody notes, but not enough to make it recognizeable... but you can build on that)

3) then using a MIDI patch of that same instrument, add just enough midi notes to create the whole melody when played in unison with the RealTrack. The advantage of this, as Mac said, is that bacause the MIDI is interspersed with the audio, the whole melody takes on the feel of the audio... plus, the slight differences in sound between the audio and MIDI tend to come across as dynamics, which makes the whole effect even more realistic. I was totally surprised by how good this sounds... it was MUCH better than just playing the melody as a MIDI track...

And because the additional notes in the real track come across decoratively, as though a truly skilled musician had woven the melody into a chordal passage, the end result was much better than anything I could have played and recorded as audio

If you're already a highly skilled musician, you would robably want to record the melody yourself.. but if you are a hobbyist as I am, this is one way to achieve a very nice melody with limited talent
Thanks for the sound advice.
I'll give it a try.

-Roy
Pat, I'm a hobbyist as you.
I've often thought of teaching a class called "Making music for non-musicians: using BIAB".

-Roy
© PG Music Forums