PG Music Home
There are other videos and stickies for hot button issues/topics but very little causes as much confusion (and maybe misinformation as spread by people like me) as this thing called Hi-Q instruments and the joined-at-the-hip topic SampleTank (what is and is not installed - when and where).

I think the folks at PG that know explicitly what is invoked by BIAB, and when, need to put a sticky preferably with pictures or video and call it:

"A Treatise on all Things Hi-Q and SampleTank as it Relates to BIAB (and ONLY to BIAB): the Facts and the Myths"

Actually you could probably get a US Gov't grant to help pay for it - we waste more tax money down south here on useless crap in a minute than you in Canada can spend in year!

Respectively
Larry
yes, I am also very confused by the 2....
Good point Larry.

After submitting my post on the subject I realised there are numerous other threads on the same or similar topics relating to HiQ / sampletank.

I agree that there needs to be a PG led sticky/FAQ on the subject. A good starting point would be your information in the post about "Instrument not found" and also the post 192278 which has a section with pictures posted by Noel I think.

Rec
Hi,
Certainly had me confused, but I think I'm sorted. Thanks to Larry and a couple of other suggestions.
The exe setup file has this info: (which I guess many missed it just by cliicking next during installation)

Using SampleTank with Band-in-a-Box

IK Multimedia's SampleTank DXi plugin is installed automatically, and should work to play Hi-Q instruments within Band-in-a-Box automatically, without any further setup (assuming that you have installed the Hi-Q instruments).

If you wish to run the SampleTank installer by itself in the future for whatever reason, you will find this file in the bb folder:
ikmultimedia_sampletank_2.5.5.b.exe

The Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments are a separate installation / download.

The complete User Manual for SampleTank can be accessed via the Start menu (usually Start | Programs | IK Multimedia | SampleTank).

Note: Viewing the SampleTank user interace in the DXi Plugins window, you might see one of the following messages:

1 -- "SampleTank is not authorized, 10 day grade period over..."

Solution: It isn't necessary to authorize SampleTank to use it simply for Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments, only to do more advanced things in the SampleTank interface. To authorize SampleTank, see the instructions below.

2 -- "SampleTank is not running with administrator privileges...".

Solution: It isn't necessary for SampleTank to be running with admin privileges, in order to use it simply for Hi-Q instruments. To run SampleTank with admin privileges, you need to run Band-in-a-Box (bbw.exe) with admin privileges, since it is the host program. To do this, right-click on the bbw.exe file in the bb folder, and select "Run as administrator" from the Compatibility tab.

Using AmpliTube with Band-in-a-Box

IK Multimedia's AmpliTube VST plugin (32 bit version) is installed automatically to your default VST plugins folder, and also to the Program Files | Ik Multimedia" folder. (or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit version of Windows).

If you wish to run the AmpliTube installer by itself in the future for whatever reason, you will find this file in the bb folder:
ikmultimedia_amplitube_3.11.2.exe

If you require the 64-bit plugin or standalone version of AmpliTube for another program you have (other than Band-in-a-Box), you can download IK Multimedia's complete AmpliTube installer from your User area of their website (see "Authorizing IK Multimedia products" below).

To use AmpliTube in Band-in-a-Box, you first need to have "Realtime audio plugins" enabled. It should be enabled by default, but if not go to: Audio menu | Audio Drivers/Settings, and select the "Use RealTime VST Plugins" checkbox.

Open the VST/DX/Plugins Window. You can get there via Opt. | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup --> [VST/DXi Synth Settings]

Click on any one of the Plugin drop-downs (except the top one if the track is a MIDI/synth track), and select the last item in the list, which is Add VST Plugin. Now, navigate to the folder that you installed the plugin in and select it.

The complete User Manual for AmpliTube can be accessed via the Start menu (usually Start | Programs | IK Multimedia | AmpliTube 3)

Authorizing IK Multimedia products

Ik Multimedia's products require authorization to be fully functional after a 10 day grace period.

Note: It isn't necessary to authorize SampleTank to use it simply for Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q instruments.

To authorize the product:

1. Create an account at the Ik Multimedia website if you don't have one already.
<http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/>

2. Run the Authorization Manager program. You can find this in Start menu | Programs | Ik Multimedia, or run it from the "Program Files | Ik Multimedia" folder. (or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit version of Windows)

3. Follow the steps in the Authorization Manager. You will find your serial numbers on this page.
<http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/>

Agreed that some of the information is there but what about other scenarios:-

a. You already have Sampletank 2.5 XT (or similar) installed as I did - what should you do re BIAB ST and/or Hi-Q instruments
b. Same as a. but you have moved your instruments folder to a larger hard drive (caused me problems as the BIAB patches only updated the instruments folder on the C drive although I think Andrew said that 415 should fix this)
c. You have ST3 Free installed already (does not allow import of existing instruments)
d. You have ST3 SE or Full (allows import of existing instruments)
e. You want to use the VSTi plugin rather than the DXi one.

There are probably other scenarios but that's for starters.

Ideally the Hi-Q and/or BIAB ST installer would eventually be able to detect and handle the above situations prompting for user action where necessary, although e. might not be possible for everyone as I suspect that only the DXi plugin license comes with BIAB.
One more thing, BIAB installation created a Band In a Box folder in programs files(x86)ik multimedia/sampletank/instruments that is not available on the hard drive itself, so does running BIAB from laptop is the same as running from hard drive only?
Reading this thread as I am having some BB and ST2.x issues too. I was also paging through the literature and tutorials and came across that note about not needing to authorize ST2.x for it to work in BB.

Thanks for the discussion.
© PG Music Forums