PG Music Home
Posted By: Glenn in Minneapolis Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 03:51 PM
Hello all.

How are realtracks actually generated? Is it all in the audio domain, done with pitch shifting and time stretching?

I see references to being able to drag a realtrack to the top left and export it as a MIDI file. I doubt that works if it is all audio-based. Unless the export would do pitch-to-midi conversion.

Example, a realtracks banjo. I'd love to get the midi notes of the plucking to use them in my DAW for driving another sound.

But this does not seem to work.

Has anyone ever been able to export a realtrack as a midi sequence?

Maybe it only works on simple realtracks?

--- Glenn

http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 05:05 PM
Glenn,

RealTracks are audio files. Many, not all, were midi transcribed by PG Music to support fretboard display and notation. The RealTracks that have been transcribed have an underline _ beside the track button.

The midi transcription is made AFTER the audio file so it is a close representation of the performance but may not match the performance note for note.

If you export a RealTrack as midi the midi file comes from the RealTracks transcription, not from any kind of audio to midi conversion.
Thanks, Jim! That's good information.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 05:29 PM
Jim, nice explanation.
Posted By: receder Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 06:08 PM
Hi Glenn,

Interesting, I didn't know that some RTs had associated MIDI data. I often wondered what the underscore meant. Thanks Jim.

If the Realtrack you want does not have associated MIDI information the following might be an alternative for you.

Depending on which DAW you use or maybe you already have the plugin required. Anyway, my DAW came with Melodyne which allows you to drag and drop a wav file onto a MIDI track and it converts the notes to MIDI.

Hope this helps,
Rec
Posted By: musiclover Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 06:16 PM
If you go to Edit in biab top left copy/move tracks then you can move the midi data from a realtrack (for those realtracks that have underlying midi data) to another track in biab and select a midi patch for it.

Be warned though it might not sound great for a lot of instruments.

musiclover
Receder, that's interesting. I hadn't thought of my DAW Melodyne pitch-to-midi for single instruments.
Thanks, musiclover. smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/08/15 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Glenn in Minneapolis
Receder, that's interesting. I hadn't thought of my DAW Melodyne pitch-to-midi for single instruments.

This works just fine. Also Melodyne Editor will work with polyphonic audio rendering that to MIDI.

Melodyne is the best audio to MIDI converter that I have ever used and in fact many times requires no editing; that is the conversion is perfect.
Good to hear, Mario. I am going to try it.
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/11/15 03:02 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Also Melodyne Editor will work with polyphonic audio rendering that to MIDI.

Not sure the Melodyne version mentioned by receder, as included in his DAW (possibly Sonar) can do polyphonic. As I understand you need at least the editor version for that.
But I agree it's an excellent program.
Col
Posted By: receder Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/11/15 10:42 AM
Apologies for any confusion. The version that comes with sonar x3 producer is indeed not the full editor although it will do simple monophonic conversions. It may do for simple banjo tracks where chords aren't being played.

As it happens I upgraded to the full editor version of Melodyne as I was so impressed by the simpler version. It wasn't cheap though but I guess quality costs.

Rec
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Realtrack Export as Midi notes? - 01/11/15 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: receder
As it happens I upgraded to the full editor version of Melodyne as I was so impressed by the simpler version. It wasn't cheap though but I guess quality costs. Rec

Yes, I did the same - Great program
© PG Music Forums