PG Music Home
Posted By: davehorne is there an issue in Index? - 01/14/15 01:53 PM
Just now I went to look up something in the Index (under Help \ Index) and I started to enter the search word ... wav.

The w was accepted without any problem but as soon as I tried to enter the second letter ... a, the program stopped working.

Is this just me?
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/14/15 02:21 PM
Just tried mine and it work OK on my end. Was able to search on the entire wav word.
Posted By: DEddy Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/14/15 07:17 PM
Works fine for me too.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/14/15 07:41 PM
OK here.
Posted By: davehorne Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/14/15 08:03 PM
I guess it's just me. I rebooted the computer and searching in Index stops to program from responding. I'm forced to use Task Manager to close down BIAB.

Search works fine, it's just Index that has this issue.

Strange.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/15/15 06:16 AM
Dave, you might try a reinstall in case you have a corrupt Help file

Also, consider reporting this to PGM Support, maybe they have a record of such a problem.
Posted By: davehorne Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/15/15 12:28 PM
I already reported this to the good folks at BIAB and am waiting to hear back.
Posted By: davehorne Re: is there an issue in Index? - 01/22/15 10:01 AM
I received an e-mail today from Kent and followed his suggestions.

If you want to reinstall, you can get the links by logging into your account on our website and going to "My Products".

The program used to read Help files is part of Windows, not Band-in-a-Box though so I'd recommend making sure that you can search for words in other programs' Help files before trying the reinstall.

Another thing to try first would be to reinstall the build 414 patch (even if you already have that build). This is because the update patches include a copy of the Help file so if it's corrupted at all, installing the patch has a good chance of fixing it.

The first thing I did was download and reinstall the 414 patch. I still had the issue in Help \ Index \ Index. I should add that searching in other Windows programs do not have the issue I described in previous posts (in this thread).

I then downloaded and installed BIAB 15 with the same results. I then went back and reinstalled the 414 patch. I have the same issue, nothing as changed.

I didn't uninstall BIAB, I simply reinstalled over previous installs.

I'm willing to try more suggestions ... and I am also willing not to use Help \ Index \ Index to look up anything; I'll just use Help \ Index \ Search.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance ... DH
Posted By: Johnny Badsinger Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/25/15 06:21 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. BIAB is opening a windows chm file. It is located in the bb folder, and is named bbv.chm

HOWEVER, the problem appears to go away (for me) if I open the file directly.

I'm using Windows 8.1, 64-bit.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/25/15 09:18 AM
If BIAB doesn't work correctly, rather than reinstall, the first thing you should do is Opt., Return to Factory Settings. Then reboot the PC.

If that doesn't fix it, are you Running as Administrator (right-click on BBW.EXE to try this). And you didn't install to either of the C:/Program Files folders, did you?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/25/15 09:55 AM
Matt's recommendation to run as Administrator is quite important.

If opening the Help file internally requires privileges, and BiaB doesn't have them, then this might cause the issue.

I right-click on the BiaB icon on the desktop, select Properties and permanently set to run as Administrator:

Attached picture 2015-03-25_23-51-58.jpg
Posted By: Johnny Badsinger Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/27/15 01:10 AM
I tried resetting to Factory Settings, and also run as Administrator. It still doesn't solve the problem for me.

I installed BIAB to a separate hard drive (and folder name).

I have notified pgmusic of this bug, and told them that the .chm help file can be used if I open it directly from File Explorer (or a shortcut icon). I also let them know that it was installed to a non-default location, in case that's an issue.

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/27/15 02:01 AM
Johnny, that "non-default location" wouldn't be in the /Program Files folder (either one if 64-bit), would it? That is a known problem for BIAB.
Posted By: Jonjo Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/28/15 12:58 PM
Having the same problem on BIAB 2011. It just started happening out of nowhere.
Except I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and probably haven't tried help on it until now.
Has there been an update or is it 8.1?
Also I have just started to use BB2go so I can use on my tablet which is why I need the help!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/30/15 02:06 PM
I can confirm, this just happened to me. I typed one letter in the Help, Index and got the freeze. Had to exit via Task manager, which took down all of BIAB.

I also wrote to Support.

Jonjo, welcome to the forum. First post after so long? I think you may be on to something with Windows 8.1. That's what I have. I'm pretty sure Help, Index has been working until recently, so the problem here might be caused by a Windows 8.1 update. I called that to the attention of Support.

Johnny Badsinger, are you also running Windows 8.1?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/31/15 05:10 PM
This problem was confirmed by PG Music. It affects Windows 8 and will be fixed by an update.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: is there an issue in Index? - 03/31/15 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
This problem was confirmed by PG Music. It affects Windows 8 and will be fixed by an update.

Matt
Thanks for the feedback. I'm steering clear of 8.1 for BiaB (although I do have 8.1 systems for other work).
Actually, I'm hoping Windows 10 might make everyone a little happier.

Best
Trevor
© PG Music Forums