PG Music Home
Can anybody reproduce that ?

example#1
Take any MIDI style.
Do the following song configuration :
Add a A part marker at bar#1 : from bar 1 to 4
Add a A part marker at bar 5 : bars from 5 to 8.
At bar#5, we get a postfill bar with crash cymbal as expected.

example#2
Take any MIDI style
Add a A part marker at bar#1 : from bar 1 to 4
Add a A part marker at bar 5 : bars from 5 to 8 and repeat this section 3 times.
So in the chordsheet we enter : Start=5, End=8, Choruses=3.
Now play the song.
at bar 9 : we do get a postfill bar, as expected
at bar 13 : we do get a postfill bar as expected
at bar 5 : we do NOT get a postfill bar. Why ?
Hi John-Luke,

My understanding (rightly or wrongly) is that the fill happens in the bar prior to the part marker. Sometimes those fills end with a cymbal crash and sometimes they don't - it seems to depend on the luck of the generation and whether it's an A or a B part marker.

A number of times, when I've assembled my songs, I've used copy/paste to add a cymbal crash at the end of a fill that didn't generate with one. Conversely, I've also used copy/paste to remove an unwanted cymbal crash that begins a bar.

I'm aware that there's also an option under "Prefs | Arrange" for a cymbal crash to occur on the first beat of the first chorus. Other than this, I'm not aware any way to set a cymbal crash on beat 1 of a bar with a part marker.

To be honest, though, I haven't investigated fills thoroughly. I'm just passing on my thoughts in case they are useful to you.

Regards,
Noel

How many bars is the total song supposed to be? You mentioned bar 13, but not where the song was supposed to end.

I created an 8 bar song, played through once, with generate a 2-bar ending checked, so the very last bar was 10.

For example 1, played through with one chorus only, yes the fill occurs at the end of bar 4 with a crash on the first beat of bar 5.

For example 2, I changed the song settings to repeat bars 5-8 for 3 times, so my song looked like the attachment.

For chorus 1, it played a fill on bar 4, but no crash on beat 1 of bar 5 (unexpected)
For chorus 2, it played a fill on bar 8, then a crash on beat 1 of repeated bar 5 (expected)
For chorus 3, it played a fill on bar 8, then a crash on beat 9 (expected)

Does this confirm?

Attached picture 2015-02-08_09-39-05.jpg
VideoTrack, That is exactly what I mean !

I'm aware too of the option under "Prefs | Arrange" for a cymbal crash to occur on the first beat of the first chorus. If I enable that option, in this case, I get an unwanted crash at bar#1.

To summarize :

Option1 : Enable option cymbal crash to occur at the 1st bar
. bar#1 (intro of the song) : KO : unwanted crash cymbal
. bar#5 : OK crash symbal
. bar#9 : OK, crash cymbal
. bar#13 : Ok, crash cymbal

Option2 : Disable option cymbal crash to occur at the 1st bar
. bar#1 (intro of the song) : OK, no crash cymbal
. bar#5 : KO : no crash cymbal
. bar#9 : OK, crash cymbal
. bar#13 : Ok, crash cymbal

In either of the two options, there is something wrong. That is not satisfactory to get professional arrangements.
Bonjour John Luke

I see we have found identical and unexpected results.

I think this should be reported to support@pgmusic.com

I'm not sure if they will resolve, but nevertheless it should be reported. After all, it is unexpected behavior, and does not seem to follow the documented operation.

Will you report, or should I?

Kind regards

Trevor
Report to PG support people done today.
Wait and see...
Originally Posted By: John-Luke
Report to PG support people done today.
Wait and see...

Great.

If you get a response, could you post it here to keep us all up to date?

Thanks,
Trevor
It is my intention to share the answer of support people.
Here is the solution from PG support people. It took some time to understand each other on what was expected. This solution works well.

"I have read about your issue and would like to offer a possible solution. Please follow these steps:

1. Go to Opt. | Preferences | Arrange and put a check mark beside "First Bar of first chorus of song gets a drum cymbal crash"

2. Set the Start, End, and Chorus settings as you have outlined in example #2

3. Go to bar 1 (beginning of the intro) and click on the part marker until it disappears

4. Press play

You should hear a cymbal crash at bar 5 (beginning of verse) but not at bar 1 (beginning of intro). This is how the feature can be used in your scenario."
Thanks for sharing the solution, appreciated!
So general advice would be to leave the crash on bar 1 checkbox ON but always remember to remove the part marker in bar 1?
I would not have thought of that. Wasn't there a time when you could not remove the part marker at bar 1. If so, I'm probably stuck in that dinosaur era and missed that new feature.
Yes, I remember it that way, too. More precisely, I think you could remove it, but BIAB would just put it back. That's why I'm wondering if a new paradigm is needed now.
I actually went back and tried on BIAB version 12 (not 2012 - I've got several older versions loaded on a Virtual Windows XP machine just to play with occasionally); you could not remove the part marker from bar 1. It would only toggle between A and B. So my memory wasn't wrong.
Thanks, John. I may be thinking of the ending part marker. [EDIT: yes, you now can eliminate the ending part marker.]

Hey, that's handy to have the old version around and still running.
Hi John-Luke,

Live and learn! This is not something I was aware of either. Thanks for following up and posting PG Music's response.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums