PG Music Home
02-24-15

Hello all, been away from BIAB for a while. Started working on the tutorials recently and have come to a road block. Looking forward to getting back into it because I remember how helpful this forum was.

My main question is: how can one make edits to a generated track, save them, and hear them when the program runs after making the changes?

The problem I am experiencing is that: I am able to go into Staff Roll Notation mode or Editable Notation Mode, delete the previously generated notes, replace them with the edited notes, but when I play the song back, the original notes sound. The edited notes remain visible and are even indicated as playing by the red cursor that highlights each note as it is being played back.

For simplicity, I have assembled a simple four bars. The piano and drums are muted so that only the bass line can be focused upon.

Next, I click on “Generate and Play”. If I go into Editable Notation mode the following shows the notes that were generated.

Next I go into either Staff Roll Notation or Editable Notation mode and make the following changes, just to the first bar.

Staff Roll mode:

Editable notation mode:

When I play the song back you can see that the edited notes are recognized by the program. Note red cursor.

Yet, what is being heard, (see below) are the original generated notes and not the simple edited eighth note pattern, (see above) that was used to replace the original generated notes.

Two questions:

1. How does one save the edits?
2. If I want to write an entire bass track from scratch can it be done with either a Real Track or a MIDI track? I worked a little bit with this and am wondering if the track must first be written as a MIDI track and then converted to a Real Track (as an option, if you want it to be a Real track).

Thanks in advance. Really would appreciate help on this.
Dan
I think I may have found the answer to my own question......

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq35.htm#5

Quote:
Note: The only tracks that are completely editable by the user are the Melody and Soloist tracks. You can input any notation that you want on either of these tracks. The other tracks (Bass, Drums, Piano, Guitar, Strings) are used by Band-in-a-Box to generate its arrangements. Each time you press Play, Band-in-a-Box will generate a slightly different arrangement on these tracks (to simulate live playing) so that if you make any changes on these tracks, your edits will be lost. If you would like to edit these tracks, you need to copy them to the Melody or Soloist track (Edit | Copy/Move Tracks) or save your song as a MIDI file and do the editing in a MIDI sequencer such as PowerTracks Pro Audio.
Dan,

It looks like the tracks you are trying to edit are Realtracks. It's not possible to adjust those. The notation that comes with some Realtracks is to indicate the notes that are being played; it doesn't direct the Realtrack with what notes to play. The reason for this is that Realtracks are live performances and, as such, are not able to be edited.

If you are using midi tracks, these can be adjusted by adding/changing notes. After you've made the adjustment, simply "Freeze" the track, save the file and the changes will stay.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel,

Hey, listened to your tune on SoundCloud "Just a Little After Midnight". Really enjoyed it and left a comment for you.

I'm going to fiddle around and try to do some copy and pasting between the 4 tracks used by BIAB and the Melody and Soloist tracks to see what or how I can make edits. I've got a lot of experimenting to do.

One question: I believe that I can copy and paste an entire Real Track to either the Melody or Soloist track where I can then make edits. I don't think that I can copy and paste a few measures out of the those same Real Tracks into the Melody or Soloist tracks though. Do you agree? I tried taking just a part of the Real track and placing it into the Melody or Soloist track and the only option for the source track was the entire Real Track.

Thanks!
Dan
Hi Dan, using BiaB you can't edit on a note by note basis any RealTracks only midi tracks. If you want to edit RT's then you have to use Realband, even then you can't select the notes played you can just have small sections re-generated
with a different number of notes.
Dan, in your example graphic at the top of this thread, the bass track is Green, so it is a RealTrack. Some RealTracks (those with an underscore) have notation associated with them, but it isn't that notation that is playing; all the notation shows is an after-the-fact approximation of what was played. Thus editing it does nothing. You can also see which RealTracks have notation by looking at the column N near the far right in the RealTracks picker.

-----

Just a note triggered by Noel's mention above of "freezing" a track. In the case of tracks you CAN edit, the most common cause of confusion in questions here is that someone forgets a track is frozen and wonders why the change isn't being heard. Unfreeze first, but unless it is the Melody or Soloist track, be sure to freeze again immediately after the edit, before regeneration changes it entirely.

-----
Finally, it is now technically possible to do some editing on an audio track, using Melodyne Editor. However, doing so is a painstaking process that I would only recommend as a last-ditch save.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
... but unless it is the Melody or Soloist track,

And how in BIAB 2015 do you explain to a newbee that when he assigns an instrument to the Melody or Soloist track, it will no longer be designated as such? What's a newbee to do? crazy

I give you guys credit for tackling these questions when they arise. smirk I'm afraid I have just thrown up my hands on explaining this program to newbees. I'm glad you guys are still at it.
Indeed. That was the point of my very first post in beta testing, that there is now opportunity for confusion here. PG Music responded to our requests for better track names. We are simply in the growing-pains stage at the moment.
© PG Music Forums