PG Music Home
Posted By: John Vreeland ending glitches - 03/06/15 06:31 PM
I have a screwy glitch in a song that mutes the last four beats of real styles, all except for the first 1/16th, almost like a shot. It doesn't matter what I do with measures. If I make the last two bars 2 beats long then it mutes both measures. I can add or delete bars from the end but it always follows the new end point. If I use an 8 beat auto ending then the last four beats are muted. Also the piano track is actually playing forever on the auto ending as well or at least trying to before it gets cut off in the middle of beat 13 of the ending, instead of playing an actual 8 beat ending. Changing the style does not help, though it affects only real styles.

I have tried copying the measures to a new song but the problem comes with it. Aside from simply rebuilding the song from scratch the only sort-of solution has been to add an extra measure to the end and completely mute all the instruments, but this is a nasty kluge and it means I can't use auto-ending. [edit: I added an extra measure and used a "..." one bar early]

So, have I done something silly or am I going to have to rebuild this monster from scratch? It would be nice if there was a "Raytheon reset" for the real styles in a song so these glitches could be cleared. And it is unfrozen; I just checked. Also: 2014 BiaB
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ending glitches - 03/06/15 06:52 PM
Without seeing the song(s), I'm not sure. And many of us would have a hard time testing the performance of version 2014. If you can post a song with the problem and a complete description of what it does that you don't like, perhaps John (jford) will see it; he keeps an older version for testing.

In the meantime, a couple of random thoughts:

I assume you are describing the 4-bar ending option in Song Settings. If that assumption is incorrect, let us know. The "4-bar ending" in BIAB is really a 2-bar ending (from the earlier versions) that is allowed to hold over as needed into that fourth bar, assuming you used a Hold (three dots after the chord name) on the final chord.

To avoid any possibility of BIAB ending abruptly, I always make the specified song-ending bar (including in the Tag) several bars beyond the bar that the auto-ending would stop at.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/06/15 06:52 PM
Tag endings are screwing up real styles. I just tried copying a few bars at a time to a new song and it worked great until I marked the tag ending. Now none of the real styles tracks are playing a proper ending. Un-marking the tag seemed to fix it but clearly something is screwy. MIDI is unaffected.

Work around is to use one long roll with no repeats.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ending glitches - 03/06/15 06:57 PM
OK. John, I don't have that problem with tags, so it seems we may be able to get this working. Could you post a sample song (.SGU or .MGU file) somewhere on the Internet, and put a link to it here along with a description of what it does and what it should or should not do?

If you don't have a way to post songs, send me a PM with your email address and I'll put it up. Then we can study it.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 12:03 AM
I just typed a new one in by hand with a chorus repeat and a tag ending and the glitch showed up right away.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78qcts8i4wk40gz/Return%20of%20the%20Wild%204.0.SGU?dl=0

I unfolded it and removed the tag but it is still there.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 12:13 AM
Well I might have figured out the trigger. Having a 2-beat bar right before the ending confuses realtracks (but not MIDI).

edit: I even fixed some older versions that seemed hopeless.
edit: Nope, was wrong. realtracks ends right on one older tune but now real drums will not end right.
It seems that once it screws up you may never get rid of it.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 12:23 AM
I wish there were a "export to XML" feature so that we could see what was actually in the song file.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 06:20 AM
O.K, I played your song and with BIAB 2015. It does not play the entire ending.

I looked at it and the options set are to create a 2 bar ending, make that a four bar ending if RealTracks are used.

At the fourth bar of the ending my 2015 plays the first beat and cuts the second beat short to be silent for the remainder.

I would now write to support either by email or live chat with a reference to this thread. If they can replicate this behaviour they will probably find a fix for all of us or dive deep into the code and fix it there to be included in one of the next patches.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 08:15 AM
Hi John,

I've also tried your song. The ending definitely has issues. If a solution isn't forthcoming, I suggest that you freeze all the tracks and then send the file to Support via email. As Guido has indicated, Support likes to know about these 'out of the ordinary' problems.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: John Vreeland
I wish there were a "export to XML" feature so that we could see what was actually in the song file.

John

I feel sure that XML capability for many features will one day arrive. Unfortunately it's not there yet (hint)....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: ending glitches - 03/09/15 08:54 AM
John,

I always unfold the song into one large chorus.... to me, that just makes it easier to see where I'm at in a song and also to add and edit the song in a linear manner.

As far as endings.... Yup, I've had some instances in song projects where the default ending just didn't work for one reason or another. Everything from chords that cut off too early and abruptly to one of the instruments doing some goofy thing when it should be holding, or the ending just doesn't have the sonic quality it needs.

My solution is to add about 8 to 12 additional measures to the song before that default ending. Then, I simply create my own ending using the various edit command functions... usually I will place a hold of the last chord and follow it with 4 to 6 measures of letting that hold fade.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/10/15 12:36 AM
GH, thanks, I was moving towards that idea myself, but it brings up another idea I was wondering about. I often have sections of music in which I mute the drums. It would be nice if I could force a song ending for the drum track wherever I wanted.

I suppose an alternative would be to create my own custom realdrum style with a special subtype that just sounded like endings.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: ending glitches - 03/10/15 10:41 AM
I wish for a long time that PGMusic would include "real" endings with their RealTracks. I think about, let's say nine different endings for each genre, should be sufficient for most uses. Some (3 maybe?) of those should be independent of genre. Some more would be better, but I'd be satisfied with just nine.

So your idea "to create my own custom realdrum style with a special subtype that just sounded like endings" sounds intriguing to me.
Posted By: John Vreeland Re: ending glitches - 03/10/15 10:59 AM
Supposedly you can make your own realdrums tracks using the sounds supplied. That is, if I am reading this properly. It would be more involved than programming a MIDI machine, but at the moment I cannot even get that to work. Need to start a new thread.

Of course, it doesn't matter what realdrums ending you use if the software cannot properly render it.
© PG Music Forums