PG Music Home
May I ask this question?

Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? By ‘modern’, I mean popular R&B artists in the last 10 years like Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, John Legend, etc.

Do you think the styles in BIAB are good enough?

On my part, I guess that you will need to replace the drum with midi patterns and sounds from sample libraries like EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, or loop libraries (Acid wav).

Then how about the bass, guitar, keyboard in BIAB? Are they suitable?
Thank you
Hits? Probably not, but with a little massage you can create some stuff that'll get folks tapping their toes. The operative word is "create." One thing BIAB doesn't do is produce "hooks." That's where human inspiration and musical ability comes in.
When a program can write as good a piece of music as I can, I may quit. But right now software still requires human management.

Speaking from an all-MIDI standpoint, I discovered that putting BIAB in jukebox mode and having it autogenerate songs gives mixed, but interesting, results. About 85-90% of the tunes will be yawners, but every once in a while something will turn your head and make you replay what you just heard. Again, that's when it's time to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

I've also fooled around with Real instruments enough to know that they can be truly convincing in the right hands. If that's not enough, you can always make your own sounds and Styles. All I can say is, start digging through the library of Styles and instruments available to you, and (as the good Doctor say) HAVE FUN!
The question is not can BB do it... the real question is can YOU?

If you are asking can straight up BiaB create a radio ready R&B ballad.... the answer is "no". Not likely. Not in a believable way straight out of the box.

The possibility does exist however to create a R&B ballad song, using BB as one of the tools in the final project.... and to that I'd say a resounding "YES".

Kinda like carving a sculpture from a block of rock.... you have to be able, first, to see the finished project in the rock....or in this case, hear it in your head and then know how to use the tools to get that down on tracks and edited. Lots of things will affect the final version. Your editing skills, your ability to choose the right Bb/RB tracks, your ability to play or provide the tracks that BB/RB can not, and your production chops....

Probably not easy.... but do-able, just like using BB/RB to create any other radio ready genre song be it rock, jazz or country.

Listen to the songs some of the folks here produce.... Floyd, 90db Bob, R&AM, Tommyad, Greg, my music, and I know I'm missing a few others.... ... you will see the quality that you can achieve in a home studio using BB/RB as part of the tool kit available. I mix RB tracks with my live playing and then apply some other polishing to the projects.....

So yeah, it can be done....
Something like this?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12644136

If so, you decide.

*** DISCLAIMER *** No self promotion intended. Just saving the OP some time, or, trying to.
Thank you so much for your kind advice.

To MikeK: Your song is great. It is amazing what one can do with BIAB.
I used to think BIAB couldn't do metal very well and I proved it could. Like the others have mentioned, at face value BIAB will only give you the raw material. The real magic happens as you create what you have in your vision. That being said if you want a truly radio quality production you will need to have the project professionally mastered.

You can get close in a home studio with the right software but a professional will do amazing things to a mix. If I had the money I would like to have at least one of my songs professionally mixed and mastered. Considering all of my productions are created solely from realtracks it would be really cool to see how far BIAB tracks can pushed professionally.
Originally Posted By: MikeK

Which version of BAIB came with Female Vocalist Realtracks? I need to get me some of that....
BTW: Great track Mike!
Thanks, guys! And no, Dan. The version of BIAB with this Lady doesn't exist, but I wish it did.

Yvonne J is the Lady and she is also a BIAB user... she has a ton of collaborations, but a lot of her own music, created with BIAB. Check her out on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yvonnej1000

Appreciate the nice comments, though smile
© PG Music Forums