PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Song Endings & Styles - What's The Secret? - 05/04/15 12:20 PM
I use BiaB to get RT's and RD's. Primarily bass and rhythm instruments and fills or leads from other RT's I think fit the song. Sometimes I'll record my own guitars. But, when it comes to getting the ending I want from BiaB...I struggle.

The way I work is I'll choose a style initially that works, but I almost always swap out the RT's, and probably the the RD's too. For example, I need Nashville 2 Beat RD's on what is essentially a Country Ballad style. There aren't many styles that use 2 beat RD's. I remember from a video tutorial that the Style will dictate the ending, but I have no idea how it works. There's no way to audition a Style's ending, is there?

I usually go through a series of tests with Song Settings: Ending, rests, holds, shots, no ending, etc. And for a slowed down ending or something of that nature, it's about impossible for me to get that from BiaB.

One exception is a song I just finished mixing where I picked a blues style and have a B3 organ RT. It ends perfectly with the B3 holding and then releasing the ending chord.

I can edit the wave files I import to my DAW and carve out a suitable ending, and usually that's what I do.

Do others go through this same process, or is there an easier way?
Hi, Scott!

If you want to "test" a number of endings by style, you might want to create a very short song - in your key and your tempo... 4 measures and then set the ending to start at measure 5. Save that - "MyEnding.SGU" or something similar. That way you can hear the endings quickly.

If you want a "slow down" ending, set the measures preceding the ending to successively slower tempos - maybe 5bpm less each and the ending, as well. It works better if you split those preceding into 2 beat measures so you can control the slow down with better granularity... (maybe -3bpm each)...
On the slow down the ending thing.... I go much more drastic.... and over a shorter distance.

If you don't go drastic enough, the effect is that you rush to the ending rather than approach it with grace and confidence. Drag it out with too many measures and it takes on a whole different feel...one of dragging rather than ending....

I have found that a few bpm decrease in tempo is barely noticeable.

IIRC.... my song Dust on the Floor has a slow down that is done over 6 to 8 beats at most....and like Floyd said, that's divided into measures that are 2 beats each and each successive one is 6 to 8 bpm slower than the last. Sometimes even more than that. I'd have to look at the project to confirm the details but I think that's what I have in it.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hi, Scott!

If you want to "test" a number of endings by style, you might want to create a very short song - in your key and your tempo... 4 measures and then set the ending to start at measure 5. Save that - "MyEnding.SGU" or something similar. That way you can hear the endings quickly.

Hi, Floyd!

That is an excellent suggestion. I tend to wait until the song is all worked out and then try to tackle the end...the long way around:) It always seems to me that the endings are random, though I doubt that's the case. I guess experimentation is what it takes.

I'm getting ready to mix a ballad, with the Nashville 2 Beat RDs most likely. The tempo change happens quickly, over just the last measure. I'll try a short .sgu and 1 beat per measure to see if I can shape something. I'll finger-pick an acoustic for this song and I can get away with quickly fading the RD's and the bass guitar at normal tempo on the first beat of the last measure. That may be what I end up doing.

Thanks guys. I'll go listen to that song, Herb.
© PG Music Forums