PG Music Home
What is the best way to move BiaB from the External hard drive to the internal hard drive on my computer?

Why do I want to do that?

I'm doing a new Fake Disk, "The Real Book" and I'm trying to use only RealStyles. The problem is, I like to audition a number of different styles for each song to pick the best one, and it sometimes takes 15 seconds to load a style from the external HD.

After trying a half dozen styles per song, that adds up to a lot of time.

I'm guessing it's USB 2 speed limit. So it seems to me the solution is to put everything on the internal drive.

Should I uninstall and re-install? Or is there a better way to do it without losing the updates that have been added since the initial installation.

Thanks,
Notes
I did that with a past version..... to get it running quickly I simply installed it with the minimum configuration initially, leaving the RT's on the external HD.

Later, when I moved it on board so it would load faster..... I believe I needed to do a reinstall to get the RT's on the computer and also edit the location it was looking for those files.
Hi Bob,

You can just copy the BB folder to the C:\ drive by dragging it over in Explorer. Then you're good to go, by running the program from C:\BB\bbw.exe

There is an official install on the USB hard drive that does the same thing, but since you've already run an BB installer of some kind to get the fonts working in notation, simply dragging it over is what I'd do.

Make sure you have enough room on the C:\ drive, about 80GB or so to copy the whole thing.
Bob, I've been doing what Peter described for many years. After copying, don't forget to visit the Preferences, RealTracks and Preferences, RealDrums dialogs to ensure you are pointing to the new correct location of those.

Also, be aware that the RealTracks and RealDrums can be loaded onto a different internal drive if you like. I chose to do that because my boot drive is an SSD and is pretty small. So, I have the main /BB folder on the fast boot SSD drive C:/BB, but the RealTracks and RealDrums on a regular internal hard drive (F:/BB/RealTracks etc. in my case). Just go into those preferences as I mentioned and set it up.

The first update you run, you will have to specify the proper locations. After that, the updater should remember.
Thanks.

I never minded the delay until I started doing this fake disk.

The delay in auditioning a style isn't bad if I'm doing one song. So If I try 10-15 styles it's only a few minutes delay per song, 5 minutes at the most.

But the "Real Book" has hundreds of songs, so add a few minutes per song and multiply it times hundreds of songs, and we're talking some serious time.

I guess leaving everything on the external drive was just 'old school' from the time when internal drives got filled up too quickly and external archival memory was even more limited.

I remember the first external 40MB hard drive I bought. It was huge, bigger than an old phone book and about 4 inches tall. When turned on you could hear the disk spinning and accelerating up to speed. Wow! I'm glad those days are over.

I recorded audio on a Teac real to real with only 4 tracks, bouncing until the tape hiss got unbearable.

BiaB was very limited in those days too. As technology marches on, so is our capability to do more complex things.

It's a wonderful age we live in. These are the "good old days".

OK, I'll quit rambling and get back to work.

Thanks again for the help.

Notes
Hi
Another trick to save loading time is to use just a few bars...change the number of bars to about 8, with no repeats, and that will speed up loading time, but give you enough time to assess the style. Needless to say, don't save the song before moving to the next one!
© PG Music Forums