PG Music Home
Posted By: jolora Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 07:23 AM
I have faithfully followed the video tutorial on setting up and using VSTs, but am having no luck.

For example, I am trying to set up the "Bass" instrument to run through the Aria Player. I open the "VST/DX Synths/Plugins (synth in first slot" dialog box and select th drop-down for Plugin.

When I scroll to the bottom of the list and select "Add VST Plugin", then navigate to and select "ARIA Player VST_x86.dll", nothing happens. The Aria UI does not appear, and it is not added to the list of available plugins.

However, the "Piano" instrument already shows the Aria Player (and "Coyote"), but none of the other plugins that show up on the "Bass" are present. Maybe they aren't germane to the other instruments?

Anyway, Piano, Melody, Soloist, Thru, and Default Synth all show the Aria Player and Coyote.

Why does this not work for the other instruments?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 09:58 AM
Hi jolora,

Welcome to the forums.

Aria player works fine with BIAB. I use it with Garritan Jazz and Big Band. The image below shows how I load the player into the Bass slot of BIAB.

If I understand your post correctly, the Aria player is listed when you click on other instrument slots (those underneath the "Bass" in the above image) but not on the "Bass" track as I show in my image. Is this correct?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 10:50 AM
Yes, that is exactly correct.

The two attached files show wht I see.

Description: This is what I see under Bass, Guitar, Drums, Strings, Audio, and Combo
Attached picture BIAB_VST-DX_dialog_box_Bass.png

Description: This is what I see under Piano, Melody, Soloist, and Default Synth
Attached picture BIAB_VST-DX_dialog_box_Piano.png
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 11:10 AM
Hi again, jolora,

Thanks for the images, they help a great deal.

I suspect that your problem arises because you have a Realtrack loaded on your Bass track. Try loading an all-midi style (that won't have Realtracks on the Bass) and the Aria player should show up.

The reason for this is because when a Realtack is present on a track, BIAB no longer sees that track as a midi track because the RT is audio. Using the Aria player requires BIAB to see the track as midi since it is a midi soft synth.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted By: tonnie Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 03:17 PM
Can you please direct me to the turorial for Windows, as I only have found one on YouTube for Mac.
Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 04:00 PM
Video tutorials are here:

[url=http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm[/url]

Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 04:01 PM
Walk-through instruction can be found here:

www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_garritan.htm]Tutorials

Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 04:07 PM
Thank you, Noel. That was it exactly.
Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 05:20 PM
Is there some way to save the Aria configuration (aside from as an Aria ensemble)? And is it really using multiple Aria instances, one for each instrument? If there was a way that they could all use single instance, the using the Aria ensembles would make sense.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 06:35 PM
jolora,

Placing a single instance of the Aria player in the "Default Synth" slot would allow all tracks to access it. To do this, it's necessary to assign a midi channel and instrument (inside Aria) for each BIAB track so that Aria player can read BIAB's information.

The image below shows the midi channels that BIAB (2015) uses for its tracks (i.e. Bass = 2, Piano = 3, etc.).

I haven't tried this but it seems that once the set-up you create has been saved as an Ensemble in Aria player, it should then simply be a matter of loading it in (with Aria in the "Default Synth" slot) every time you need it. It's worth playing around with.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: jolora Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 06/30/15 09:08 PM
Thanks, Noel. I'll play around with the Default Synth now and figure this out.

Saving ensembles in Aria is easy and works like a charm. I've used it for years with other software, like Finale and Anvil Studio. And using only 1 Aria instance sure seems more efficient.

Thanks again,

Joe
Posted By: tonnie Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 07/08/15 03:08 PM
Thanks guys my JABB3 is finally working with BB, thanks to you.
However on tracks where I have arranged e.g. a 4 or 5-trumpet section, only the top note gets played, so it definitely does not sound like a Big Band.

Is there any way to work around this?

Is it possible to use JABB3 only for selected tracks and let the remaining MIDI-tracks be played via my Roland sound module?
Posted By: jford Re: Configuring BIAB to use Aria Player - 07/08/15 03:54 PM
If you are using solo instruments, they are 1-note polyphony, which does not allow for chords to be played by that instrument.

You might want to check out this thread on player variations and this thread on performance tips.

Make sure you are selecting non-solo instruments to be able to play chords.
© PG Music Forums