PG Music Home
Hi Guys,

I am trying to discover what can and can not be done in BAND In A Box. I am not looking for the "how to do it" so much as what is possible.

I just got Audiophile and audited some of the electric guitar files.

1. Do any Real Tracks exist that were recorded DI? I want to change the guitar tone for example, so can that be done? Of course I can place the electric guitar .wav on a track in my DAW and use a VST like Guitar Rig 5 Pro but while that will work the sound I get with the pre sets is not useful, at least not at first glance.

2. Are any drum tracks, Real Tracks or MIDI, recorded in such a way that I can get separate kit pieces on separate tracks in RB or any DAW for that matter. Also are any drum tracks recorded using MIDI drum kits played live and recorded in that way.

I assume the drum question is being looked at because of a post Peter made asking about converting analog, ie, Real Track drums to midi.

I assume that could be done using Melodyne but I have not figured it out yet,...well there is no issue to get Melodyne to convert to midi. I also assume that even if Melodyne separates out the different kit pieces correctly, that information needs to be mapped to a VST like Addictive Drums for example.

I am going to solve this drum issue if it can be solved because it is super important to me. In the mean time I will continue to be forced to play some drum tracks live.

Thanks for putting up with a newbee with to many technical questions...lol

Cheers,

Billy
Yes

No

...in a hurry to day.
lol...no problem jazzmandan...this is not going to be solved in five min...lol
In your RealTracks folder, there is another folder called DirectInput.
Thanks Matt

Cheers,

Billy
Any MIDI drum track can be separated into individual tracks. The GM MIDI drum track will have bass, snare, etc all on one track. You can separate them into individual tracks will each track containing only one drum or cymbal. I do this all the time in Sonar.
Thanks Mario.

I assumed as much.

Cheers,

Billy
For DI guitars...

In the RealTracks selection screen look for a "Y" in the last column - the Direct Input column. If there is a Y, then the Direct Input box at the top will be available to check. If you check that, you will get a clean guitar track out that you can then add your own effects to..

(there are 4 check boxes - Bluesy, Simple, Direct, Held)
Thanks Floyd,

All this has been very helpful. I did not want to watch hours of video looking for something that does not exist.

The drum issue is another kettle of fish. The Real Drums tracks have the fills in the correct places or can be forced there and sound...well..real.

Having said that the midi drum sounds we have in today's world sound better than I may be able to get with a live session player unless I provide the drum kit I want to hear and he or she can actually play well on that kit.

What I here on the real tracks sound to me to have been played on a DW drum kit.

Billy
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

1. Do any Real Tracks exist that were recorded DI? I want to change the guitar tone for example, so can that be done? Of course I can place the electric guitar .wav on a track in my DAW and use a VST like Guitar Rig 5 Pro but while that will work the sound I get with the pre sets is not useful, at least not at first glance.

Some of the DI guitars are missing DI holds, so you get the distorted holds, I made up a lot of these to fix the problem, if you search solidrock "Missing DI Hold" they should come up (if you copy the *.xm2 *.sm2 files from your original non DI holds folder that they use this will give you the new holds timing that comes in a bit earlier) I think think they will add this New Suggested Feature in the next version to fix the problem.

2. Are any drum tracks, Real Tracks or MIDI, recorded in such a way that I can get separate kit pieces on separate tracks in RB or any DAW for that matter. Also are any drum tracks recorded using MIDI drum kits played live and recorded in that way.

Long asked for all the time.

I assume the drum question is being looked at because of a post Peter made asking about converting analog, ie, Real Track drums to midi.

Yes I think that's what they are doing, again long asked for ! http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226010

I am going to solve this drum issue if it can be solved because it is super important to me. In the mean time I will continue to be forced to play some drum tracks live.

Super RealDrums

There's a few multitrack drums here you can drag into RB:
www.realband.org/drums.html
also www.drumdrops.com/ have a lot of multitracks at a good price.
EZDrummer 2 is great but you can't create the track in BB/RB as it don't send the tempo/SPP to the VSTi so it just loops on the first bar. That should be fixed hopefully in the next version or update.
Originally Posted By: solidrock
EZDrummer 2 is great but you can't create the track in BB/RB as it don't send the tempo/SPP to the VSTi so it just loops on the first bar. That should be fixed hopefully in the next version or update.

Considering how many years this has been on the wishlist, I would hate to give some of our newbees false hope.
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

....help me understand. RealDrums are audio, but they were recorded from a midi drum kit. Therefore,they also have the associated midi track available for them. But this midi track can not be separated - can it??

Did some homework. I have concluded:

...RealDrums are not midi; they are full recordings, lasting from 1 to 8 bars at a time. They are the early implementation of the RealTrack technology. We don't know what kits they were recorded from, but likely a full acoustic drum kit. There is no midi track associated with realdrums and the individual drums in the kit cannot be separated onto different tracks.
Has anyone ever tried JamStix? I wonder if it could be incorporated into RB. I have used it for years to create drum tracks for my originals and doing backing tracks in Sonar. You pick a drummer and a kit and a style of music and it will provide some pretty authentic drums tracks.
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
Has anyone ever tried JamStix? I wonder if it could be incorporated into RB?

A definite Yes, and A definite No
To be clear, drum plugs like EZ or JS work great as midi drum sound engines ONLY playing prerecorded midi drum tracks such as the ones Biab uses. BUT the big deal is these plugs are capable of creating their own drum grooves. It's the creation part that does not work with PG products. Ralph at Razoon told me 4 or 5 years ago it's a problem with PG's VST implementation.

Every year after I bought Jamstix I was on a crusade to get that fixed and I posted some pretty strong thoughts on that. A few years ago Peter even said they were working on it. Since then, not a peep. I can only assume it was discovered that it simply cannot be done for whatever reason.

No point in beating that dead horse any further. If that ever gets fixed it will be announced as an update and we will all find out together.

Bob
© PG Music Forums