PG Music Home
Posted By: ovation99 BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 06:11 AM
Firstly, I am on a very steep learning curve with BAIB and even steeper with RealBand.

But my question relates to BiaB 2015. I have seen from various screenshots that the layout is somewhat different to my current 2013 version, but what else has changed that may make the process easier.

So, is it worth the extra outlay to upgrade to to Version 2015?

Also does the upgrade also update RealBand ?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 06:36 AM
Hi ovation99,

If you go to the below url...

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

... and scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page, you'll find various tabs that compare the different versions of BIAB. Simply click on these.

I personally find the new interface easier to use that the older one (like on 2013).

Realband 2015 is included with BIAB 2015 at no extra charge.

When you say that you're on a steep learning curve with BIAB, what is about the program that challenges you? We might be able to help. Or maybe the videos at the following link can help....

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

... try starting with those in the "Beginners" section.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: ovation99 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 07:17 AM
Hi Noel,
Thanks for the swift response.
I have completed a couple of songs, which sound pretty good to me anyway and I have picked up a lot of info from this forum, which has proved to be a lot quicker than wading through the manual (over 600 pages !!!!)

I think part of the problem is the terminology used or maybe me being dumb.

One of the many things that just does not work out for me is Repeats/Codas etc. I end up laying out the whole song in one chorus.
I have looked at the videos and the tips on here, but just can't seem to get it to work.

For instance, a song with this layout.

Bars 1-4 Intro
Bars 5-52 Whole song excluding Repeat of last line (4 Bars) and Ending (2 Bars)

So, what I want to achieve is this:
Play Bars 1-52 then Bars 21-56 + Ending

I hope you can understand this and I think I'll wait for the rest of the day for other comments on the upgrade question, but I would think I will end up going for it.

Thanks for your patience Noel

Al
Posted By: DEddy Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 10:49 AM
I would suggest purchasing the BIAB "printed" manual ($15), it is well laid out. I find the PDF ver (same) but reading it on a screen; learning the program difficult.

DE
Posted By: ovation99 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 11:09 AM
Hi DE,
Purchasing the manual would be a good idea, BUT I live in the UK and postage for a 600 page manual would not be cost effective.
I think I will scan through it and print off the sections as and when I need them.

Al
Posted By: jford Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 11:13 AM
The PDF user manual is text searchable, so it is not difficult to open the file and hit CTRL-F to find keywords.

You can also easily cut/paste from the PDF into a Word document (for example), if you want to just preserve just the parts you are interested in for future reference.

I always liked having the printed manual, because generally I would read through it when I went to bed at night, but when I'm on the PC, I almost exclusively use the PDF manual, and through the use of CTRL-F, or the index, or the table of contents, have been able to find what I'm looking for.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 01:06 PM
I put all of my PDF manuals on my color Nook, that way I can have the manual and the program open at the same time. So if you have a Nook, Kindle or any other kind of tablet you might want to try it.

Also don't forget about the program's help button!

I'm with John as I like a printed manual also but they seem to be a thing of the past!
Posted By: ovation99 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 01:21 PM
Jford,
I like your idea about cutting and pasting into a new document. Sort of your own personalised manual. Might give that ago.

MarioD,
That's also a useful idea, but as I have 2 monitors I can extend the manual over to the second screen.

Al
Posted By: ovation99 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 07:45 PM
OK I took the plunge and am now in the process of downloading, so will look forward to playing with the latest features and tracks.

In the meantime, I wonder if anyone has a guide to my OP?

"For instance, a song with this layout.

Bars 1-4 Intro
Bars 5-52 Whole song excluding Repeat of last line (4 Bars) and Ending (2 Bars)

So, what I want to achieve is this:
Play Bars 1-52 then Bars 21-56 + Ending"

Thanks for looking.

Al
Posted By: DrDan Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/29/15 08:09 PM
Does this show you how to do it?

Repeats and Codas

Actually there are several version of these repeats

D.C. al fine - repeat from beginning up to the word fine.
D.C. al coda - repeat the music from the beginning ("Capo"), and to continue playing until one reaches the first coda
D.S. al Coda - return to a spot earlier in the score that's marked by the symbol

In fact, like most of us I tend to just expand the entire song. But I do understand why one would like to use these conventions. They should work.
Posted By: ovation99 Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/30/15 06:42 AM
Thanks Jazzmandan,

I obviously need to delve into this with a lot more conviction !

I have upgraded to 2015, but the details of the upgrade indicate that here are additional Realtracks included with the upgrade (206-227) but I don't seem to have them.
Is this an advertising trick to get you buy more?

I downloaded all the files from my order confirmation.
Posted By: jford Re: BiaB 2013 vs 2015 - 07/30/15 08:58 AM
Which package did you purchase? That determines which add-ons (styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, etc) you get.

This web page shows what is available in each package.
© PG Music Forums