PG Music Home
Posted By: Muzic Trax Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/23/15 12:45 AM
Maybe I am thinking of the ACM here, but I remember a long time ago where a support video was posted about rendering chords from a mono vocal track. Biab interpreted the vocal notes and then deciphered/added chords from the mono audio track.

Was that the beginning of the ACM introduction to Biab, or is there another Biab source that will also interpret a mono vocal track and produce chords from the melody being sung?

Thanks,

Trax
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/23/15 04:17 AM
Trax,

The audio chord wizard (ACW) is the only thing that I can think of that will put chords to an audio track.

Out of curiosity, I just tried running ACW over a mono vocal track of mine to gauge its accuracy. Since I knew what the key of my song was, I set the key and then chose one chord per bar (under the "Analysis" menu).

The experiment wasn't all that successful. What I obtained wasn't too useful. I suspect that ACW needs a few notes playing to be able to interpret chords more accurately.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: DrDan Re: Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/23/15 10:20 AM
This is a very interesting question to me at this time as I wrestle with creating a song by by putting chords to a melody.

So let me be the computer.

You tell the me that you want to sing the little ditty in C.

First Note you sing is D.
I say OK, how about a Dm chord - that fits. But wait, a GMaj chord, that would fit also. Or how about a Bmb5, that also has a D in it and all three chords are in C. So that one note says; Major Chord, Minor Chord and Augmented Chord. OK, you need to give me more notes.

So you sing an A.
In Key of C, that gives me; Am, FMaj and Dm chords which fit. Wait, this is the same issue - I quickly (or in fact not so quickly) conclude a single monophonic note is not enough to identify a specific chord. I need more simultaneous notes. I need to hear what is being played at the same time you sing.

So I look for what note is the bass playing? But your little ditty doesn't have a bass part. Now I can assume the bass is pounding on a C. So when you sing the A, then the Am and the FMaj triad fit. Progress, but still not definitive. I need more simultaneous notes.

At this point I have concluded, this ain't how a song is written.

But Good luck. We all need it.
Posted By: solidrock Re: Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/23/15 06:34 PM
You can try MS Songsmith just save the midi then open in BB/RB you should have some chords if I remember correctly. It uses Biab Styles. I can't remember if you can load an mp3 or you just set the sound input to the stereo output of your sound card then play the vocals in media player while MS SS works out the chords.
Posted By: jford Re: Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/23/15 07:39 PM
And if you use Songsmith, be prepared to change a lot of the chords, because while the results you get may sound "interesting", you'll most likely be thinking "that doesn't sound right.". But it will give you something to start with, however.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Mono Vocal Track to chords. - 08/25/15 06:29 PM
I found what I was looking for. It was the vocal wizard in Biab. I confused chords with key and the vocal wizard analyzes the best key for a vocal range.

Trax
© PG Music Forums