PG Music Home
Posted By: Diane Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 12:13 PM
My song (Blue Skies) is in the key of C. The lead sheet has the right chords and notes for C but displays a key signature of ## (key of D). Why? How do I fix it?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 01:49 PM
Two options present in BIAB when you change key signature (transpose), 1)Change Chords, and 2) don't change chords. Choose the latter.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 02:24 PM
Hi Diane,

Welcome to the forums. I see that even though you registered a while back, this is your first post. It's good to have you on board!

To continue on from what Dan said...

The "Key" setting is located as shown below (if you have BIAB 2015). If you have an earlier version of BIAB, it will be somewhere near the "Tempo" setting.

This can be set by clicking on it. As Dan has already mentioned, after doing that, you'll get two options.

If the key is already set to "C", it might be that somehow the program has engaged one of the instrumental transpose options. Again on version 2015, this can be accessed by clicking "Chord Display" (#1 below).

Double-check that it's set to "(default) Concert Key" (#2 below).

Let us know how you go.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Diane Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 04:06 PM
I've used BIAB since the 90's. I have BIAB 2014. I'm familiar with most of the features including the key change with/without transpose. That isn't the problem. I did find a way around it by changing the "current bar settings" to the key I want and that seems to kick the Lead Sheet into gear. I'm still puzzled why this happens. Could it have anything to do with the file header on the very top of the window saying "Transpose = 7 semitones"? Where is that set?
Diane
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 05:46 PM
Hi again,

Go into "Notation Mode" and select the "Opt" button found at the upper left corner of the staff. It might be that the below setting is engaged.

Where I have "0" in the window to the right of "Transpose", I wonder if you might have "7"?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Diane Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 06:01 PM
No, that wasn't it. I tried to include a screenshot but I can't do that with my settings here.
I'm satisfied that I've found a workaround but I'd still love to find out why it happens and only on some songs that I've downloaded rather than input myself.
Diane (singer/piano player with Between Friends in Ottawa)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 06:12 PM
Diane,

If the song was originally developed from a midi file, it could be that the transpose is contained within that midi file. (I don't know enough about midi to know this for sure.)

If the song was created as a BIAB file by someone else, it's possible that the key signature wasn't set correctly. (I'm not sure what impact this would have.)

CTRL+ALT+7 is the shortcut to another transpose feature found under the Edit menu.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Diane Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 06:27 PM
I already played with the transpose feature. I guess it's some mysterious trait that comes from somewhere else. I got it as a BIAB file but who knows how it was created. On the plus side, this problem has made me aware of even more features of the wondrous Band in a Box.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Diane
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 10:23 PM
There is more than one place in BIAB to set transposition. When I get to my computer I'll look for another place to check.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 10:48 PM
Hi again, Diane.

Matt will probably have some other thoughts. He's pretty cluey when it comes to solving BIAB problems. The only other place that I can think of is found by following 1, 2, 3 below.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/30/15 11:48 PM
That's the other main one, but I think there may be one more.
Posted By: Diane Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 08/31/15 12:04 PM
Nope, that's not it either.
??????????????
Diane
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 09/01/15 12:01 PM
OK, I can find these four methods to transpose.

Preferences, Notation, Transpose Options (preferred method)
Preferences, Transpose (should be all zeros; I don't use this method)
Preferences, Arrange, Concert Pitch Adjust (old method)
Preferences, Practice (but only for certain instruments; can't produce seven steps)

The third one goes WAY back and hasn't been mentioned yet. Something to check.

Diane, you must know Rick Rangno, trumpet player, yes?
Posted By: Diane Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 09/06/15 04:00 PM
None of your "transpose" ideas worked. I think I've learned my lesson. I was too lazy to input this song in my key and resorted to a version on the Internet. It's only this one song that's giving me grief and I have found a workaround. I would love to know why it happens but I give up for now.
Yes, I know of Rick Rangno but he is waaaay out of my league. When I play at jams, there are some pretty good horn players but not quite up to his standard.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Diane
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Lead sheet has wrong key signature - 09/06/15 04:07 PM
Sounds like a plan.

That's good you got back to the topic. In the meantime, there is another thread in which odd behavior about key signatures and transposition is being reported. Please look at this: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309431#Post309431

Yes, Rick is as good as it gets, and a really nice guy.

Matt
© PG Music Forums