PG Music Home
So far, I have been using a Roland XV-5050 (production discontinued) and more recently the Roland SD-50 (Mobile Studio Canvas) with WIN 7.

I do get regular offers to upgrade my laptop to WIN 10 and found there seems to be driver available for the SD-50.

However no WIN 10 driver seems available for the XV-5050, so if I upgrade to WIN 10, I could never go back to the XV-5050.

1) Any advice or experience with WIN 10 and the SD-50?
2) Do you know about the availability of a WIN 10 driver for the XV-5050 by a private person or a Company outside Roland?

Brgds,
Tonnie
Sometimes you have to try harder to keep old equipment working .. but it can often be done
http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/5507/
If worse comes to worse just use the five pin MIDI cable connections.

The only reason you may need drivers is to use the USB for MIDI, and convenience, but basic MIDI still works in Windows 10.

EDIT: forgot to mention that YES you will also have to use analog audio in lieu of digital audio, at least for input to PC.

GOOD LUCK and hope it all works out

Larry
I just reacquired an early 2000s-vintage Roland JV-1010 synth module to replace one that was stolen. I never thought of using anything but a standard MIDI connection. It's completely stable and doesn't put a load on the CPU. Yes, I sacrifice a fully digital audio chain, but I can accept that. Any drawbacks can be worked around with time or extra takes. Nada problema.

R.
Rharv,

Thanks!

I downloaded the WIN 7 driver for the Roland XV-5050 and installed without any problem.

Now I want to use the XV-505 as sole output device using an USB cable only, but I can only hear the MIDI sounds. Real Sounds & Drums can be seen “playing” in the mixer window but not be heard.

So I wanted to try a suggestion I got from BB support in connection with my posting: “No Real Sounds” after upgrading to WIN 10” (this is on a different laptop).

“You'll also want to select the SD-50 (XV-5050) as your audio driver. In Band-in-a-Box go to Opt | Preferences | Audio and change your driver type to ASIO. Then select the SD-50 as your ASIO device, check the box for ASIO Always On and hit OK. That should ensure that you're sending all the audio to the SD-50 (XV-5050) in addition to all your MIDI data.”

However, the XV-5050 is not displayed as an option in the Audio/ASIO window!

Any suggestion?

Is there perhaps a setting in the XV-5050 I need to change?

Hope for some help here!
Tonnie
© PG Music Forums