PG Music Home
Posted By: bharris Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 01:47 PM
I have followed the instructions here and elsewhere on the web to assign Garritan JABB instruments to the various channels in BIAB, and for the most part this seems to be working very well. However, I cannot get any melody tracks to sound, even though I can hear the bass, drums and piano. The songs I am trying to listen to are definitely ones with a melody track. In addition, some standard midi files that I open do not have any sound at all, which I assume is also related to this issue as I understand these files are loaded into the Melody channel, channel 4. For example, I assign a sax to channel 4, which I understand is the channel the Melody usually is on, but I can't hear any sax (or melody). Can anyone help me figure out why this might be? I am using BIAB build 2007.5 (239). Is it possible that the Melody for a song could be on another channel? Should I keep trying to assign the sax to another channel until I hear it? Thanks!!

Also, I am using JABB as a DXi plugin.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 02:24 PM
Hi bharris, I do not use JJ&B in BiaB, I use it in Sonar, so I may be wrong here but be sure BiaB is not sending a patch change command. If it’s sending a patch change that doesn’t match with JJ&B it may not sound. You can check this either with the midi event editor or by going to Options/preferences/midi options/channels.

Also many standard midi files are not really standard. That is the originator adds patch changes, continuous control messages, pitch bends, etc that are indigenous to his system. They may or may not work on your system. Many times I have to play with standard midi files to make them sound right on my system. This will be especially true if you’re trying to play them using a non-GM DXi/VSC like JJ&B.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 03:33 PM
Hi bharris

You will have to go into JABB to find and alter it's melody channel (whatever it is) so that it allows it to play from BIAB channel 4 - once you have had success then save the set up (as say BIAB1) so that each time you open JABB you can load that saved set up

You could alter BIAB Melody channel from 4 until you find the channel that plays in JABB but this then disrupts your default workings in BIAB
jazzman
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone. Jazzman, how do I go into JABB and alter its melody track? Do I do this through the standalone Kontakt2 player?
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 04:21 PM
Hi bharris

I do not use JABB anymore since RealTracks/Drums but I think that you do it in JABB - someone will know here

But I do remember this happening and it is because of the difference in JABB which was not GM compatible - in other words channel 4 in BIAB may be channel (say) 7 in JABB - you just have to locate whateaver channel it is but do not change it to 4 - EXAMPLE BIAB melody channel 4 - this plays another channel in JABB say 7 - as long as you save the correct "mismatch" setting it is easy
jazzman
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 04:55 PM
Quote:

Thanks everyone. Jazzman, how do I go into JABB and alter its melody track? Do I do this through the standalone Kontakt2 player?

It's been several years, but Yes. You have a pull-down on each instrument to specify the channel.
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 05:51 PM
But when I do this and assign a sax, for instance, to channel 4 (which I understand is the melody channel normally used by BIAB), I do not hear any sax on songs I know have a melody. If I am understanding correctly (and please keep in mind I am very new to midi), Jazzman is saying that BIAB should still stay on channel 4, but I have to change something within JABB (from whatever JABB currently uses as its melody channel to channel 4). Is that correct? If so, how do I do this?

Further to Jazzman's point, I have the midi mapping in BIAB (under opt/audiomidi setup) set to General Midi Misc., which BIAB said should be usable for all sound cards. I only saw one Native Instruments choice there, and it was not for JABB or Kontakt2. Is there a map specific for JABB available that I can download?
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 08:08 PM
Hi bharris,

We are at cross purposes - BIAB Melody channel 4 - if JABB is - say - 7 then that is the "mismatch" = BIAB 4 plays JABB 7

Do not change the supposed 7 in JABB to the 4 of BIAB

You will have to go by trial and error - but someone else here may tell you the correct channel in JABB but it won't be 4

You said earlier that you were using JABB as a DXi plug-in so you will not find it under Synth/Soundcard - you should find it by hitting the VST/DXi Synth Settings bar and you shound find in that page that opens, the correct driver in the top dropdown in that page

It can be frustrating to sort out that is why I dropped JABB and went back to midi instruments and then to Realtracks/RealDrums after they came out
jazzman
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/25/09 09:57 PM
Please excuse me for being dense (again, I am new to BIAB and JABB), when you say "go by trial and error", you mean that when I press "see DXi settings" in BIAB and the Kontakt2 player opens up showing the JABB instruments that I have chosen, I need to go to the instrument I want to play the melody (let's say the alto sax), and try changing its channel in the drop down box to a number other than 4 (probably a number other than 2 (piano), 3(bass), 10 (drums), etc.? Is that correct? In other words, I should just keep changing the channel of the sax (maybe a channel from 11-16?) until I hear the sax playing the melody in the song?

Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
Posted By: jazzband Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 06:54 AM
Hi bharris

On tips and tricks there was a thread about using JABB with BIAB and i put how using VST as it was better then DXi one thing i did mention that if you just use instruments to play the back it was fine but when i started to play the extra tracks ie melody and soloist i had trouble my system just did not allow it

since then i have changed all my system aroundbecause i was have problems and now find JABB will not play atall every thing looks as though its working the midi is moving in Kontact 2 on all the chasnnels but i am not gettin any sound what so ever, weather something has changed with the later versions of BIAB i don`t know and thats why i gave up trying and changed to Ketone SD2 where you dont get any problems atall

I was hoping that the new ARIA that Garittan have produced was going to be the anwser we where all looking forward that JBBB and GPO would be a lot easier to use but has not happerned as we can not get hold of ARIA unless you buy something you don`t need if you have JBBB and GPO you can not get get hold of Aria which i think is sad

I spent many hours trying to get them to work and PG did a lot of work trying to get them to be compatible and upto a point they succeeded but when you get a modual that you plug in and it works just like that what is the point in spending for ever try ing to make something sound as it shold without much sucess my veiw is that your wasting your time ,time is for making music not m trying to make it sound better and not getting any where because i have not got the knolwledge to do so

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 08:19 AM
You guys are confusing this issue. It doesn't matter what channel either Biab or Jabb is set for each instrument as long as they match each other . You can go into Biab properties, click on the channel tab and make them anything you want. In other words, you can set Biab to put the drums on channel 1 if you want even though the GM standard puts them on 10. You then put the JABB drums on 1 and so on for each instrument. Usually people keep the Biab channels set to the GM defaults and change their synths to match because if you start changing the channels in Biab, something will come up, you don't do anything with Biab for a few weeks, load in a different song maybe using the VSC and all your instruments will be messed up. All this confusion is the main reason people simply give up using non-GM synths with Biab. Styles don't always use the same instruments and you can spend time setting up JABB for one particular song, it sounds great, but you decide to just change the style for fun and oops, that one doesn't use guitar, it uses electric piano or whatever and you have to go into JABB and set it up for that channel manually just to hear what that style sounds like. Biab will use the same channel for multiple instruments depending on the style. That gets old after a while and most of us simply use a GM synth like the softsynth Forte or the hardware Ketron SD2 and forget about it. That's the beauty of GM, all the instruments match from one piece of software or hardware to another.
A sequencer like Real Band where you can use multiple synths is much more appropriate for JABB than Biab is.

Bob
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 09:09 AM
Hi bharris

Yes that is correct - once you have found the channel the melody is on in JABB with your alto sax - save the configuration and then every time you open JABB you can load that saved confiuration

One caution - it is a long time since I used it so I might have things around the wrong way but I do remember that it did not work channel by channel

Also check that the volume for the melody channel in JABB is not muted or tuned to zero

There is not a bug but the way both programs work and once you have it then it is easy
jazzman
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 11:27 AM
Jazzmammal - I think I understand what you are saying. Why, though, if BIAB usually puts its melody track on channel 4, should I not be able to simply set my alto sax (or any other instrument) to channel 4 and hear the melody? That didn't work for me before, and now I am trying different channels for my alto sax in JABB while keeping the BIAB melody channel set to 4 in the hope I will hear the melody line. Or, should I try an oddball, unused channel like 20 and set both BIAB melody and JABB alto sax to that?

Another question - why is Real Band more appropriate for JABB than BIAB is? What does the ability to use multiple synths have to do with the issue? Does JABB work perfectly with Real Band?

Finally, isn't this a question for PG Music? I mean, they sell both JABB and Personal Orchestra right on their website, presumably for use with BIAB? Has anyone contacted them directly about this? Maybe there is a bug in BIAB, or maybe it is a simple matter of getting PG Music to have a special JABB listing under synth/soundcard rather than "General Midi Misc." that one could choose that would send the signals on the proper channels.

Thanks, everyone, again for helping me figure this out. It seems to me there is no reason at all that these two programs should not work together.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 02:36 PM
Hi bharris,

If you use DXi/VST it converts midi into audio so then it bypasses the soundcard "General Midi Misc" setting which is then controlled in the DXiVST page and the dropdown driver options

jazzman
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 02:49 PM
Thanks, Jazzman. Do you know whether it bypasses the soundcard "General Midi Misc." setting if I use VST also?

Has anyone tried using the Garritan PO Studio with BIAB for this purpose? It says on the Garritan website that it can be used with virtually any (notation) program that supports MIDI. Shouldn't this solve the problem regarding JABB not using General Midi? Granted, it's not as convenient as using a plugin, but if it works that's all I really want.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 02:55 PM
Hi bharris

DXi and VST use the same page which bypasses that setting

Can you find the "SteinbergDXi" driver for use with JABB which should be it the DXi dropdown - if it is installed

PG Music - "The DXi will convert the MIDI information to audio, which Band-in-a-Box will playback through your sound card to audio speakers". So-- as the VSC DXi converts midi to audio you have to change and select the Steinberg drivers to get the correct connection

The problem I had was that JABB was not GM compatible and therefore did not guarantee a match with a GM program like BIAB - BIAB is not at fault

jazzman
Posted By: jazzband Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 03:15 PM
Hi

when i first started using JBBB you got a stand alone studio program which worked better then the VST and DXi and i don`t know if thats still available

Im sorry if i made out you can`t use these programs which you can and the thing that made me change was the learning curve in making every thing sound top notch you go into Garittan`s website and you will hear how good they sound theres a scripting langauge which is used and is very sucessfull i think its me more then JBBB

regards Dave Hoskins`
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 05:08 PM
Now of course I can't find the download for a Windows version of Garritan Studio - the links on the Garritan site are not working. Can anyone point me to a link for GPO Studio? Thanks again.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 05:49 PM
Quote:

Jazzmammal - I think I understand what you are saying. Why, though, if BIAB usually puts its melody track on channel 4, should I not be able to simply set my alto sax (or any other instrument) to channel 4 and hear the melody?

If the Biab melody is on channel 4, then yes you should hear whatever instrument you have on channel 4 in JABB. But in rereading this thread I'm not clear, are you talking now about a Biab generated song or playing a midi file?
The reason I believe JABB is better used in a sequencer rather than Biab is due to the time it takes JABB to load it's sounds. Biab creates it's own program changes throughout some songs due to the styles. A basic GM synth like the Forte or VSC loads all sounds into ram and they are instantly accessible while large sample libraries that are used by Garritan, Sampletank and many others take a second or two to load and that won't work in Biab. That's not a problem when playing midi files in a sequencer because the sequencer is not creating something new for you every time you hit play. You can look at each track in the sequencer and determine if there are patch changes there or not. If, for example a guitar track changes from an acoustic sound to an electric sound, the procedure is to split that out to a separate track so the acoustic sound is playing for the whole track for one part and the electric sound is only for the other part on it's own separate track and midi channel. That allows your synth to load up the sounds before you hit play because the synth can't handle the program change while the song is playing. You can't do that in Biab.
I agree with your comment that PG doesn't make this clear on their page. They imply that JABB should work great with Biab but don't actually say it. As was mentioned above, there have been threads about this and I can't remember now but I think JABB can be made to work with Biab but it's a real pia. Maybe your best bet is to contact support.
Again, almost everybody simply uses a GM synth in Biab but for your final polished sound, save the file as a midi, open it up in a sequencer and there you can reassign the tracks to whatever sound you want using whatever synth you want. This is the main reason for the creation of Real Band btw, but that's another whole discussion. RB is a hybrid of both Biab and Power Tracks Pro Audio and all this works great. Check it out.
Another thing, Biab only has one midi output port so one synth has to handle everything. A sequencer has 16 midi outs, one for each channel so you can use multiple synths in combination, both hardware and software.
Also, you're using the term soundcard and sound interchangeably. They're not. A modern sound card is the physical interface routing the sound from your synth out to your sound system. Except for some Creative ones soundcards do not have any on board sounds, your hardware or software synth handles that.

Bob
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 06:44 PM
The Phrase Modeled Performance JABB GM Multi will switch the JABB instruments in the K2 player on program change messages. For example if the soloist is set to channel 8 in BIAB and you have a Trumpet & Sax solo the multi will play the correct instrument without changing BIAB's channel assignments

Freely available at link in my signature
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 06:56 PM
Mike,

For a newbie, could you please explain your JABB GM Multi a little? In other words, if I load it in and set my sax to channel 4, will I hear the melody that BIAB is playing on channel 4?

Jazzmammal, thank you for this clarification. I do have Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. If I save the BIAB file as a midi and then open it up in Sonar, using JABB as a plug in it sounds like this might be a better approach. Do you agree?

Thanks!!
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/26/09 10:58 PM
Quote:

Mike,

For a newbie, could you please explain your JABB GM Multi a little? In other words, if I load it in and set my sax to channel 4, will I hear the melody that BIAB is playing on channel 4?

Thanks!!

From the documentation

The JABB GM Phrase Modeled Performance Multi adds a level of General Midi
capability to the Garritan Jazz & Big Band Library. The Multi will respond to Program
Change values routing subsequent notes to the appropriate channel of the K2 Player to
sound the corresponding instrument. The JABB GM Multi uses the Saxophone KS
instruments translating program change messages to key switches to play the flute,
clarinet and soprano sax samples. The multi adds a key switched Guitar, Bass, Piano &
Drums allowing switching between the Jazz and Acoustic Guitars, Upright, Arco,
Fingered, and Fretless Basses, Concert Grand and Rhodes pianos and GM Sticks and
Brush Drum Sets. The Multi also includes a Brass Section Patch consisting of the
Trumpet 5 KS Lite & Trombone 3 KS Lite instruments for use as the Brass Section GM
patch.

All the supported GM program change messages and their cooresponding JABB instruments are specified in the documentation

In essence as long as you specify supported program changes in BIAB you need not worry about what channel BIAB is sending the midi data on or which channel the K2 Player is using (you shouldn't change the multis k2 player instruments channel assignments)
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/27/09 06:32 AM
Quote:

Jazzmammal, thank you for this clarification. I do have Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. If I save the BIAB file as a midi and then open it up in Sonar, using JABB as a plug in it sounds like this might be a better approach. Do you agree?

Thanks!!

Normally I would say yes but Mike's multi sounds like that should work too.
Whether or not that's best depends on what you're trying to do. For me, when I'm actually working on a tune trying to make it sound the absolute best I can as opposed to simply playing some Biab songs for fun, then yes I put it into Real Band and really get into trying out different synths and instruments plus cutting/pasting/editing. Still JABB has some great sounds and you just want to make it work in Biab and I don't blame you. I would too because it seems like it should work especially with Mike's multi scripts. I have no idea how you set that up but it doesn't sound too difficult.
Just to make sure, I'm now assuming you're talking about playing a Biab generated song, correct? Is this a Biab song you created yourself or is it one you downloaded? I think you downloaded it because you haven't mentioned that you recorded the melody yourself. You're saying that all the instruments play using JABB as your synth except for the melody track and this is not a midi file we're talking about here. In that case, the only thing I can think of is make sure the volume is up on the melody track in Biab and the corresponding instrument channel in JABB is also up and not muted. Have you tried another Biab song and seen the same problem?

Bob
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/27/09 06:09 PM
Dear Mike,

Thank you for the clarification. One more question if you don't mind - if I understand correctly, I would:

1) Download and install your script
2) Open BIAB
3) Open the Kontakt2 Player DXi plugin from within BIAB
4) Select your multi, without changing any channels on either BIAB or within JABB/Kontakt2
5) Play the song and hopefully hear all the BIAB instruments that were intended to be played, including the melody?

I downloaded the file named phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip from your website, as well as the file named pmpm_jabb_gm.zip from the Northern Sounds forum where you posted it. I see that the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip folder has instructions for installation, but I don't see instructions for the other folder. Could you please tell me exactly where to put the files named JABB_GM.pat and PMPM JABBGM.nkm? Thanks!

Dear Bob,

Yes, I am just talking about loading a downloaded jazz standard into BIAB as a BIAB file and playing it using the JABB samples in order to sound better. I am not talking about loading a midi file, and unfortunately I have had the same issue on several BIAB files (as well as standard midi files I load into BIAB). Because I am also having this issue with "standard" midi files I load into BIAB, and I know that these files get loaded onto the same melody channel, channel 4, that I am having the issue with in JABB, my assumption is that there is something not being translated correctly between the signals that BIAB is generating on channel 4 and the JABB playing of those signals. My hope is that Mike's multi will solve this - would love to try right now, but I am at work!!

Thanks again for all your input.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/27/09 07:36 PM
Have you confirmed that you can hear the melody channel using the VSC DXi or even your cheapo sound chip on your motherboard? Since you're dealing with downloaded files here, it still could be something in the file itself. Also, try creating a new song from scratch, plug in a keyboard and play anything on the melody channel just to see if that works. You can also take the melody track from any midi or Biab file and tell Biab to import it to your current melody track in a new song.

Bob
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/27/09 10:44 PM
Quote:

Dear Mike,

I downloaded the file named phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip from your website, as well as the file named pmpm_jabb_gm.zip from the Northern Sounds forum where you posted it. I see that the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip folder has instructions for installation, but I don't see instructions for the other folder. Could you please tell me exactly where to put the files named JABB_GM.pat and PMPM JABBGM.nkm? Thanks!

The JABB_GM.pat goes in your BIAB folder, this file is not required but is an aid for the non-standard patches. it can be loaded by clicking on the + button to the right of the Patch drobdown in BIAB. The PMPM JABBGM.nkm is the multi file, it should be copied to the same folder as the PMPM_def2.nkm file from the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip

BTW you will get better results using the VST K2 Player
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/29/09 02:06 AM
Dear Mike,

I opened the PMPM def2.nkm multi, and then the PMP JABBGM multi from within the Kontakt2 player plugin. I do get sound, but still do not hear the sax that I know is carrying the melody in this particular song (I know this because when I just use the GM on the laptop's soundcard, as opposed to JABB, I hear the sax). Did I do something wrong? I know you said above that I must "specify supported program changes in BIAB" - what exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks again for all your help, as I would really love to get JABB working from within BIAB.

Brett
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/29/09 03:59 AM
Quote:

Dear Mike,

I opened the PMPM def2.nkm multi, and then the PMP JABBGM multi from within the Kontakt2 player plugin. I do get sound, but still do not hear the sax that I know is carrying the melody in this particular song (I know this because when I just use the GM on the laptop's soundcard, as opposed to JABB, I hear the sax). Did I do something wrong? I know you said above that I must "specify supported program changes in BIAB" - what exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks again for all your help, as I would really love to get JABB working from within BIAB.

Brett

Brett,

Looks like you have everything set up correctly (although it's not necessary to load the PMPM def2.nkm prior to the JABBGM). You do have to make sure BIAB is sending a Sax program Change message though. That would be a 65 for Soprano, 66 Alto, 67 Tenor or 68 Baritone. This can be done by clicking the Melody radio button then selecting the appropriate Sax from the Patch Change dropdown. The only deviance from GM standards are the instruments jn the .PAT file.
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/29/09 02:10 PM
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your assistance - are the Melody radio button and the Patch Change dropdown that you are talking about on the main BIAB screen, or within Opt/Preferences? In addition, I just want to make sure that the .PAT file is supposed to be in the parent bb folder, rather than in a subfolder?

Thanks again for helping me!!

Brett
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 04/30/09 10:40 PM
Quote:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your assistance - are the Melody radio button and the Patch Change dropdown that you are talking about on the main BIAB screen, or within Opt/Preferences?

Main Screen

Quote:

In addition, I just want to make sure that the .PAT file is supposed to be in the parent bb folder, rather than in a subfolder?

The main BB folder it should show up when you click the 'Open *.pat' button in the Patches On Higher Banks Dialog accessed from the + button on the main screen
Posted By: bharris Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 05/02/09 11:30 AM
Success! Thank you all for your assistance, and thank you Mike for the great multi. So far it works like a charm, but you can be sure you'll hear from me if I have any more questions
Posted By: jazzband Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 05/02/09 01:44 PM
Hi

Well done its good to see you have been successful

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: Mac Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 05/02/09 01:47 PM
CELEBRATE!

Congrats on a job well done.

Have Fun,

--Mac
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/13/09 02:37 PM
I am having the exact same problem bharris had. I can get bass drums and piano to work, but not the melody channel (in this case sax as well). But if I turn of the DXI check box in the opt pref section I hear the normal midi sax coming through for the melody (channel 4 is currently set for BIAB midi).

I tried to click on the "Mike's K2 Scripts" link and I got this error message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /vze3h95m/k2scripts/ on this server.

Bharris can you send me the zip file you got from that site?

Thanks
DAn
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/13/09 04:19 PM
Dan,

New website new version here
Sorry the GM version is no longer available you will need to go into the sequencer window of the melody & soloist and re-channel to your instrument of choice
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/14/09 05:29 PM
I called PG music, and they couldn't figure out my problem either. They are going to call me back Monday.

I think there is a bug in BIAB 2009 because I have now tried the usual Bass on ch 2, Piano on ch 1, drums on ch 10 and they all work like before. When I put any of JABB's instruments on ch 4 (which my BIAB is using for the melody channel) everything except the melody comes through. However If I load that same BIAB song file into the "real band " and keep all the JABB settings the same in the the Kronadt player The melody comes throguh fine. SO it works in Real Band but not BIAB 2009 with all the same settings. The problem is I can't do what I need to do in Realband (use my wind controller to play a melody, then create my own harmonies, and get the real JABB sounds for the trumpets, trombones, bari etc).

Any ideas?

Dan
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/14/09 07:12 PM
Quote:

I called PG music, and they couldn't figure out my problem either. They are going to call me back Monday.

I think there is a bug in BIAB 2009 because I have now tried the usual Bass on ch 2, Piano on ch 1, drums on ch 10 and they all work like before. When I put any of JABB's instruments on ch 4 (which my BIAB is using for the melody channel) everything except the melody comes through. However If I load that same BIAB song file into the "real band " and keep all the JABB settings the same in the the Kronadt player The melody comes throguh fine. SO it works in Real Band but not BIAB 2009 with all the same settings. The problem is I can't do what I need to do in Realband (use my wind controller to play a melody, then create my own harmonies, and get the real JABB sounds for the trumpets, trombones, bari etc).

Any ideas?

Dan

Dan,

You have to set the channel in the K2Player for the instrument you want to sound. For example if you want the trumpet to play the melody (channel 4) you have to assign the JABB trumpet in the K2Player to channel 4.

alternately you can open the melody or soloist sequencer window and re-channel the solo or melody to the JABB instruments channel in the K2Player
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/15/09 02:48 AM
Mike when looking at your 1st suggestion in your last post, I did that by selecting the trumpet channel to channel 4. Then while in BIAB 2009, I don't get the trumpet. But If I open PG MUSIC Real band that comes with BIAB 2009 and using the same exact settings (trumpet on ch 4) it does come through...

That seems like a bug to me. I think they are going to call me back on Monday and I'll let them know this info.

Dan
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/15/09 03:03 AM
Hi Dan,

The only other thing i can think of is if you have the melody set to multi-channel in which case BIAB sends on channel 1 by default. If you open the melody sequencer window it will show which channel(s) the melody midi is using

The reason I'm persisting is I've done quite a bit of testing with BIAB 2009 and JABB and have not encountered this problem.

It would be nice though if BIAB let you choose the channel when generating melody and solos.
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 04:38 PM
Mike, When I go to the "melody" then "sequencer for multi-channel melody" it says "Melody track type needs to be set to multi channel for the sequencer ok to do this?"

I would think that means multi channel melody is turned off. Do you agree?
Dan
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 06:18 PM
Hi All,
I have created a movie of exactly what is happening.

You can watch it here. (full screen mode looks best)

www.danthesaxman.com/biab-jabb-error.wmv

I also uploaded the BIAB file here (although this phenomenon happens on any biab I have with a melody in it). I also uploaded my JABB Krontakt multi that I used in this video.

http://danking.weebly.com

Can anyone else replicate this problem?

Dan
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 08:39 PM
Sorry Dan, I should have thought of this first thing. The JABB brass & reeds require cc#1 values for volume
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 09:33 PM
Mike,
Where do I set JABB to that setting?

Can you explain what cc#1 is?
Thanks
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 10:17 PM
Mike,
When I opened it up and real band I noticed the "Mod Wheel" Setting was at 90. I looked in the JABB manual and it said mod wheel was cc#1 (from your post above). When I open up the same saved JABB file in BIAB it was defaulted to 0. I then turned it to 90, and voila, I hear it now. I wonder if the bug in BIAB is that it starts as 0 for mod wheel when Real band defaults mod wheel at 90 for the same exact profile loaded?

Anyway now I will start messing with the harmonies, and assigned different instruments to the harmonies.

In your experience what is the best way to change the expressions (creshendo's etc) Do you do it after you recorded the melody in the melody editor in biab, or do you try to create that while recording the melody? If the latter, what means do you use to create the creshendo's?

DAn
Posted By: Dan K Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/16/09 10:35 PM
The problem I have now is when I load in any wind or brass instrument it shows the mod wheel at 90. But as soon as I hit play on BIAB, the modwheel goes to 0, and I have to manually turn it up evey time. Any ideas how to keep it at 90 like real band does?
Posted By: Mac Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/17/09 12:22 AM
Quote:

The problem I have now is when I load in any wind or brass instrument it shows the mod wheel at 90. But as soon as I hit play on BIAB, the modwheel goes to 0, and I have to manually turn it up evey time. Any ideas how to keep it at 90 like real band does?

You can insert Controller Data in each BIAB song using the PianoRoll view.

Rewind the scroll to the very beginning of the song, open the PianoRoll view, make sure the right track is selected over at LH top (M) and then use the dropdown at top R to select Control. Another dropdown should appear to the right of that, Controller 1 is the Mod Wheel.

Then draw in the Controller value desired in the lower window of the PianoRoll View.

It should look like a flat straight line, likely at the 90 point, all the way through the song.

Then Save with Patches and Harmony.

The song should now always send that CC1 of 90 whenever loaded and/or whenever you hit Play.

Good idea to save these songs in a seperate folder using SaveAs and don't overwrite the originals in case the day comes when you want to use those songs with an ordinary GM MIDI synth.

--Mac
Posted By: rkl122 Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/17/09 04:11 AM
Dan, you can see in the midi monitor that BB zeros cc#1 upon hitting play and upon stopping. Mac has outlined a viable countermeasure.

But re. Mike's comment:

Quote:

Sorry Dan, I should have thought of this first thing. The JABB brass & reeds require cc#1 values for volume

Mike, it's been a long while since I've looked at your scripts or used JABB. Weren't the scripts intended to start the mod wheel at some mid-range value? -Ron
Posted By: mmosc Re: Using Garritan JABB with BIAB - 06/17/09 04:40 AM
Quote:

Mike,

In your experience what is the best way to change the expressions (creshendo's etc) Do you do it after you recorded the melody in the melody editor in biab, or do you try to create that while recording the melody? If the latter, what means do you use to create the creshendo's?

DAn

Dan,

The best results will be obtained varying the cc#1 (modwheel) data. This can be recorded or drawn in the piano roll view as Mac pointed out. Also portamento (cc#20) and overlapped notes in combination with cc#64 are also important controllers for realism. The JABB documentation explains these and other midi parameters the instruments respond to. Or as Ron indicated the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi will automate the generation of all the JABB midi parameters. Mikes K2 Scripts
© PG Music Forums