PG Music Home
Posted By: DC Ron pitch bends - 11/22/15 07:56 PM
Another dumb question that has me stumped...

I'm recording MIDI melodies through a Roland GR20 MIDI synth. Sounds fine when I'm recording, including the single fret slides into the object note. Checking the piano role, both the notes and the pitch bends are recorded. But the virtual synth that I recorded on the THRU channel (tenor sax TTS-1) doesn't play back the bends on the Melody channel. Checked the piano role and the bends are there. Sure I'm doing something dumb again, don't know what. Thanks again in advance for the help.
Posted By: MarioD Re: pitch bends - 11/22/15 09:23 PM
Ron there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I just check via Sonar and found out that yes the TTS-1 does respond to pitch bends. However the pitch bend range is 1 whole step up or down. You will have to look at a MIDI editor (I'm not sure if BiaB has one or not so others will have to come to your aid on this) or in the piano role and see how much of a pitch bend (PB) you have. If it's just a little then you may not hear any difference.

For example if your PB is -8192 and you are playing a D note you will hear a C. But if your PB is something like -25 you may still be hearing a D.

If you want more PB range you have to edit the TTS-1 tenor sax PB range: that is easy to do. If you do you should save that bank in the user banks other wise every time you open TTS-1 you will get the original tenor sax PB range.

Another option is to set your GR20's PB range, if possible, so it matches the TTS-1 range. That is if the +/- whole step is ok with you.

I hope this doesn't confuse you and I hope that it helps.
Posted By: solidrock Re: pitch bends - 11/22/15 10:01 PM
The older Roland's use a 2 octave +-24 st instead of 1 +-12 st. When I use my GR-20/GK-2 track in Kontakt I add another Modulator >Pitch Bend so it doubles the amount.

There's one here for REAPER Full/X AXON Pitch

I have some more info but will wait till I get my brain in gear .
Posted By: DC Ron Re: pitch bends - 11/22/15 11:01 PM
Understand what you're saying but am still stumped. Just seems odd that when I play in real time the pitch bends are spot on, and when I play back the recording there is nothing. I'll study this a bit more....

THANKS for the inputs!
Posted By: MarioD Re: pitch bends - 11/22/15 11:31 PM
Either post the song or PM me and I'll give you my email. If I/we can see the song maybe we can help if determining the problem.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: pitch bends - 11/23/15 12:19 AM
There's a MIDI Event List Editor

In notation mode, press the '#' symbol

Attached picture 2015-11-23_14-13-45.jpg
Attached picture 2015-11-23_14-14-50.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: pitch bends - 11/23/15 12:20 AM
You can also select from the Notation drop-down menu:

Attached picture 2015-11-23_14-16-28.jpg
Posted By: solidrock Re: pitch bends - 11/23/15 01:57 AM
Specifying the Bend Range
Since the GR-20 transmits Pitch Bend data based on a bend
range of 24, you must set your sound module to a bend range
of ±24. For details on making this setting, refer to the manual
for your sound module.

When you were recording were you hearing the sound from the Roland Woodwind/Sax setting or the virtual synth ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27540

Make sure it's in Mono mode not Poly as you bend one note it will bend them all.

There's another script if you are using Kontakt to have six individual strings and bends in the one instrument without adding 6 of the same instrument.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: pitch bends - 11/23/15 07:31 AM
Originally Posted By: solidrock
Specifying the Bend Range

When you were recording were you hearing the sound from the Roland Woodwind/Sax setting or the virtual synth ?

Am monitoring only the virtual synth as I record, and the bends are perfect. Am playing back the newly recorded melody track on the same virtual synth setting and nothing, even though the bend events are recorded.

Logical it has to do with the pitch bend range being wrong. Sorry for this quick reply, will spend more time on this after work today.

Thanks to all for the assistance!
Posted By: solidrock Re: pitch bends - 11/23/15 08:09 AM
Just drag the recorded midi from the track name to MID on the Drop Box then out into a track in Realband just set the same tempo 1st, then add the Virtual Synth to that track and try it.

You can also open the SGU in Realband and try.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: pitch bends - 11/24/15 07:24 AM
Progress. If I set the melody track's virtual synth to a pitch bend range of 24 the recorded bends do indeed come out perfectly. I'm GUESSING that the GR20 sends out a command to set the pitch bend range (since I don't have to manually set the virtual synth range when recording) but that this command is not recorded with the MIDI track. If true, I can't see this command in the MIDI monitor. Will play with it some more. Thanks again to all who contributed to reducing my hair pulling time on this one!
Posted By: DC Ron Re: pitch bends - 11/25/15 08:05 AM
so, closing this out...according to the MIDI Implementation chart, the GR20 does transmit pitch bend sensitivity which is why the monitored VSTi bends correctly when recording. However, BiaB does not record pitch bend sensitivity, which is why the same VSTi does not bend correctly when I play back what I just recorded. That is, until I manually reset the pitch bend sensitivity to 24. This explanation is probably imprecise, but close enough so that I know what I need to do. Thx again for all the support!
© PG Music Forums