PG Music Home
Posted By: methodman Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/26/15 10:46 PM
In terms of precision How precise is the resolution in scoring? In comparision to Finale or Sibileus how accurate is the scoring. It seems that so many variations for instruments don't have any markings that are universal. What are aspects of music that people would like to see that seem to missing from instrument markings? Biab has taught me to listen in ways I never knew how to.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/26/15 11:03 PM
My understanding is that the notation resolution is 16 notes / bar for straight, 12 / bar for swing. (Other notation products may offer more features for scoring than BiaB)

Attached picture 2015-11-27_12-55-23.jpg
Attached picture 2015-11-27_12-58-08.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/26/15 11:08 PM
When exporting BIAB MIDI you have the ability to adjust the resolution. The default is 120 ppm but it can go up to, I think, 960.
Posted By: methodman Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/26/15 11:42 PM
Are there easy methods to push a note and in standard notation are there marks made for that. I can kind of figure a swing rhythm if I hear it first but if you stick sheet music I seem to misinterpret that?

What are the marks for I guess you could call it kinds of expansion. Its like the anticipations and that kind of stuff that neighbor tones. But there is probably another dimension that musicians notice but never talk about. Akin That was what I was after.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/27/15 12:09 AM
Ok, I think I understand now. When a musician sees a series of eighth notes, how they are played depends on the context even though they appear the same. I look first for written instructions, for example "swing" or "straight eights". And you have to know that if you are playing a samba, it's straight just because that's the style. Swing eighth notes are played about 2/3 1/3 timing, but they aren't notated that way.

Is that what you are looking for?
Posted By: methodman Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 12:21 AM
Thanks yeah that is it. there really are a wide variety of musical contexts and they don't seem to be notated. I think that is what I am saying. There are probably ways of talking about shuffling syncopations and accents that apply to rhythm but again they aren't talked about. I suppose you could bring over linguistic accents discussions inserting them into music but it would be nice if some of the memo's discovered how to add a little more feedback. Is most rhythm discussed by number throwing? I am trying to develop musical phase sense as a person with disabilities who doesn't automatically always respond smoothly with clarity of rhythm with proper stamina which is my problem my stamina is weak. But I still practice to penjulum my parts. So that the swings across rhythms leave a wake that memories can cling to. I'm working on a song so I am sharing some of my ideas.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 02:20 AM
Something like this came up in the wishlist forum recently.

Playing a musical instrument is of course an art-form and includes 'poetic-license' and individual interpretation. Another forum member described it quite perfectly when he mentioned:
"When a musician plays a phrase, it's always in the context of where he is going next, and plays accordingly. You won't get that by using individual notes not played in that context."

Some notation cannot normally be written to describe every nuance. Sure, you can include symbols such as dynamics, slurs, tempos, accents and ornaments, but the actual performance delivery is based on the musicians ability, style and creativeness.

Does that explain a bit more clearly?

Trev

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 02:46 AM
OK, I might add this. In music for junior high school jazz ensemble, you might see swing eighth notes notated with a dash under the first, a period under the second of a pair. This is to force the long / short (2/3 to 1/3) phrasing of swing notes. But it mucks up the score so badly that you normally would not see that in any serious music beyond junior high level.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 06:34 AM
I think I misinterpreted the O/P's original post, which was titled "Scoring How precise is Biab"

I thought it related to what was the best available resolution when printing a music score.

My understanding now is that it relates to 'how well can one interpret a BiaB music score'

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Posted By: rharv Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 12:37 PM
IN PGMusic products under Notation-Opts. you can set the resolution to much greater than just 16th notes.

Attached picture NotationResolution.jpg
Attached picture Trill.jpg
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 05:25 PM
Biab also uses "ticks" for timing notes. I've learned how to "adjust" the ticks to get a pushed note etc. Math.

Trax
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 05:31 PM
And one more thing (in BIAB, there is often one more thing): Play, Slide Tracks. This can really loosen up the otherwise mechanical feel of a MIDI melody.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 05:38 PM
Great Tip RHarv.

I could do that in RealBand, but couldn't find that same setting in BiaB. Is there a similar setting in BiaB?

Trev
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 05:54 PM
Yes, I would like to know that if there is.
Posted By: rharv Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 06:08 PM
In the BB Opts.-Prefs-Notation options there is a tip when hovering over the Fine Resolution check box (see below).
For me this option to set the resolution is only available in Editable Notation mode in BB, YMMV
/I'm much more comfortable in RB but that should help with BB .. you BB gurus should know this!
//Since BB only allows 120 resolution for MIDI, your actual results may vary, depending on tempo (it's math)
///best I could do on short notice smile

Attached picture BBResolutionHelp.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 06:22 PM
Thanks Bob.

A couple of years ago, BIAB added the ability to export MIDI up to 960 ppq. Not sure how that relates to this, if at all.
Posted By: rharv Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 06:30 PM
Well, if BB records and handles MIDI at 120, I kind of assumed the 960 was just 120 X 8 when exported .. but still 'quantized' (essentially).
I haven't tested this, but it is one of the things that makes RB seem so much better for my way of working. 3840 is 960 X 4 (even greater resolution exponentially) so it is more exacting in the long run. Many users wouldn't care or notice a difference.
It matters to me.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 09:49 PM
Thanks Bob, same thing, but with different delivery method (again!)
Posted By: rharv Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 10:45 PM
yer welcome wink

I'm still learning, and some things that are second nature to me in RB take extra effort to find in BiaB (for me at least), so I'm happy to share what I've learned.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Scoring How precise is Biab - 11/28/15 11:03 PM
Actually, I liked the RB delivery. A: More intuitive, B: More flexible.

I'm going over to the Wishlist....
© PG Music Forums