PG Music Home
Posted By: Phestus Guitar Training Videos - 11/29/15 01:33 AM
I noticed that PGMusic has a number of guitar and piano training videos for sale. I have several keyboards, but my concentration right now is on trying to learn to play blues guitar. Can some of the guitar players recommend a guitar training program which they feel completely fulfilled their expectations, or at least came fairly close. BTW, it doesn't have to be limited to what PGMusic has available. I am a total novice when it comess to the guitar but I am completely locked in on learning the blues. And, since I was born and raised in Georgia, I'm 78 years old, my second choice would be country. I would just like to eventually be able to play through a few pieces from both genres without making too many mistakes. Gotta try to get it done now though 'cause old Arthur-Itis is beginning to stiffen up my chording fingers. Anyway, thanks for any answers I may get.

Regard,

Phestus
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/29/15 02:12 AM
Hi Phestus

Good on you for your great ambitions.

There's a couple a free ones on YouTube that might get you started

How To Play Old School 12 Bar Blues EASY PART 1 Beginners

Blues Guitar Lessons

Melodic Blues Guitar Lesson

There's a heap more, try searching YouTube for Blues Guitar Lessons

Hope this helps

Trev
Posted By: DEddy Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/29/15 11:02 AM
Check out:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

it's free, Justin has tonnes of video on site / Youtube.

DE
Posted By: Phestus Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/29/15 05:45 PM
Hello Trev and DE,

Thanks to both of you for the great suggestions. I have checked all of them out and it looks like I have found exactly what I was looking for. Many hours of lessons in a variety of presentations. This should keep me busy for quite sometime and hopefully I'll come out the other side with a much better understanding of how to approach the blues for guitar. I truly appreciate your help. Many Thanks...

Best Regards,

Phestus
Posted By: lambada Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/29/15 10:05 PM
My advice. Choose one thing to work on at a time. eg a blues or Pentatonic scale or position, a bar chord, etc. Your progress will be much faster. Always play with a metronome so that your timing is good from the start. Sing simple phrases and then try to play them anywhere / anyway. Play everything slowly.... buy an electronic tuner and use it. It's 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration, but it's a beautiful journey. grin
Posted By: Phestus Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/30/15 01:46 AM
Some great advice, Lambada. I will keep that in mind. I agree, it's going to be a fun journey. I think getting BIAB 2016 here and starting to use it for backing tracks is also going to go a long way to helping me along the road. I sure look forward to getting my copy. Thanks for responding.

Phestus
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/30/15 01:38 PM
I think it's great that you want to improve your skills and gain new knowledge. Learning is a lot more fun when the learning is about something you want to do well.

May I suggest you work with a teacher? A teacher can evaluate where you are at right now and help guide you to where you want to be. The teacher can offer tips or exercises that might minimize the effects of your arthritis, increase your stamina and let you better enjoy the fruits of your effort.

It might take awhile to find one but, even if it was for half an hour each month you would find the time and money well spent.
Posted By: Phestus Re: Guitar Training Videos - 11/30/15 02:59 PM
Hello Jim,

Another good recommendation coming from you. I am considering taking lessons at the place where I bought my guitar. I understand they have a good teacher associated with the store. I am somewhat musically inclined, but not necessarily guitar inclined, if you know what I mean. I have a lot of work to do, but I do have a certain goal in mind so that gives me something to work toward. Thanks for all your help.

Phestus
© PG Music Forums