PG Music Home
Posted By: Phestus Boot Camp Software - 01/16/16 07:01 PM
Has anyone here used Boot Camp to run Windows programs on an Apple computer. I really like BIAB 2016 on my ASUS laptop but it is getting a little long in the tooth. I also have a fairly new Apple iMac with a 27" monitor. As a result of Macular Degeneration my left eye is pretty well shot and the right is slowly headed in that direction. The Apple is a faster machine and the larger monitor is a big plus. If, by using Boot Camp, I could run BIAB on the Apple, I think I would have the best of both worlds. If not, I will continue my search for ways to optimize a Windows system for use with my music setup. I look forward to hearing from any of you who have been through this process. Many Thanks....

Best Regards,

Phestus

I think I will also post this on the Apple Forum.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/16/16 07:20 PM
You need to partition your drive for boot camp but if you get parallels desktop you can run it together in macintosh
both ways you will need a windows install cd-dvd

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/16/16 10:13 PM
Hi Phestus

I understand that BiaB runs fine under bootcamp or parallels on a Mac.

I even understand that Dr Peter Gannon develops BiaB using this same setup

More Info Here
Trev
Posted By: Phestus Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/17/16 03:20 AM
Thanks to both of you for your reply and the good info. I am going to buy Windows 10 Home and Parallels 11. I usually get this kind of "stuff" from Amazon so it will take a little while to get it, but then, I should be in good shape. I'm sure the large screen on the Mac will be a big help.

Phestus
Posted By: Thom Ebersole Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/17/16 03:00 PM
If you buy the boxed version of Parallels it comes with a proprietary USB cable that allows you to migrate a perfect copy of your current OS configuration and files to the iMac. That way you don't have to buy another Windows install DVD. It's genius and works like a charm! You won't have to reinstall anything. It's all right there on the iMac. And the beauty part about Parallels is that it runs in a windows, ie. it doesn't take over your machine. You can run the Mac and Parallels together. I've been using it for years. It will save you hours and hours of reinstalling all of your software. Check it out!
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/17/16 03:54 PM
))) Has anyone here used Boot Camp to run Windows programs on an Apple computer. I really like BIAB 2016 on my ASUS laptop but it is getting a little long in the tooth. I also have a fairly new Apple i

Yes, I program and run BIAB windows on a Mac PowerBook (circa 2012) running Bootcamp. No problems. I don't use Paralells, although when I did test it things worked fine too. I just reboot into Windows and Mac as needed.
Posted By: Phestus Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/19/16 03:32 PM
Hello Thom and Peter,

Always good to get additional information. Also, great to get a personal reply from the CEO. Haven't decided on Parallels or Boot Camp yet. It has to be one or the other, and pretty soon though. Getting antsy to have everything conveniently located on one platform. Got to have lots of benefits there. Thanks again for the help.

Phestus
Posted By: Phestus Re: Boot Camp Software - 01/20/16 09:35 PM
Hello Thom,

Quick question about using Parallels and its propietary cable to migrate the Win OS and files to the Mac. Will it migrate Win 7 and will that operate on the Mac? My reason for asking; I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 on my laptop since that is where I currently have BIAB 2016 and associated files located. Well, long story short, Win 10 was so far from operating on my laptop that it was just one problem after another. I did a Google search to check on the prevelance of those kinds of things with my ASUS and Win 10. Many, many postings about the very same thing with others. Suffice it to say, I am back to Win 7 and plan to stay there for the near future. Luckily, ASUS provided a way to revert. I don't have a copy of Win 7. You know, the old thing about, "Make a Recovery Dlisk." I did and it didn't work. I sure hope Win 7 will work. I look forward to your answer.

Many Thanks,

Phestus
© PG Music Forums