PG Music Home
Posted By: lingyai BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 01/30/16 12:46 PM
I have been intending for a while now to update from BIAB 2014 to BIAB 2016, but between being busy and reading that there have been a few bug-fix patches realeased -- I understand, these things take a few iterations -- I have decided to wait until BIAB 2016 more or less stabilizes. Has it?

My chief fear (based on software generally, not PGM in particular) is that for some reason, projects created in BIAB 2014 won't work correctly in BIAB 2016.

So ... is it safe to go into the water?
Posted By: 1manband Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 01/30/16 01:19 PM
I believe it is now. I also have been waiting to install 2016 because I use this every weekend in a worship setting and can't afford to have any technical difficulties. I have been watching the forum posts and waiting for any and all significant issues to resolved and they now seem to be, so I will be installing it early next week.

The only remaining possible snag is one that apparently does not affect everyone. It has to do with the next song in a playlist not displaying the first few measures on the chord sheet view. You can read about it here: 2016 Returning Home
Posted By: lingyai Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 01/30/16 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: 1manband

The only remaining possible snag is one that apparently does not affect everyone. It has to do with the next song in a playlist not displaying the first few measures on the chord sheet view. You can read about it here: 2016 Returning Home

Thanks Jim. I did see that one, but for me it's not a problem as I don't use playlists. I hope you make the jump without hitches.... please keep us posted if you do!
My 2016 does some unacceptable things. I'm sorry I upgraded.
1. After going past the first ending and returning to the beginning, the chords play something different than what is written.
2. On my desk top, when I enter a 1st and 2nd ending, the screen zooms way in and I can't zoom it out. Does not do that when running on my laptop.
BIAB on a portable hard drive. windows 7 64 bit on the desk top and windows 10 on the laptop.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/01/16 08:06 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean by something different than what is written?

Have you looked at the "song settings" in that one of the default checked options is to vary the style in the middle choruses. If this box is checked, then the song will flip to the "B" substyle when the chorus repeats. That's the first place I would look.
Posted By: MikeK Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 12:14 AM
What John said ... I've never experienced anything like that before. Has nothing to do with the new version of BIAB 2016.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 12:43 AM
Joey
These are indeed strange encounters, and I'm not aware of anyone else experiencing these.

With the first item, this might occur if you had a song with frozen tracks and then changed the chords. The new chords might not play as expected.

Can you provide any additional details, screen captures etc?
Posted By: Beachboy Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 03:25 AM
Sorry, but on my end it's a bit "dodgy" compared to earlier releases.
Problems with 3rd party plugins (that are fine in earlier versions)
Lot's of "crashes".
Overall I think the changes are excellent but hasn't been a "smooth" release.
However, I'm sure it will get sorted.
That's just my experience.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 05:54 AM
Interesting, I haven't had 'lots of crashes' and wasn't aware of problems with 3rd party plugins that were OK before. However, these need to be resolved of course.

Can you provide more detail about the crash issues and which 3rd party plugins are now giving problems?

This identification will assist to ensure resolution and stability in the products.

Thanks

Trevor
Hello John,
"Plays something different" means it is playing a chord progression other than what is in the song. I didn't analyse what is being played at the moment but in retrospect, it seems to have gotten stuck playing the first ending even though the cursor moves back to the beginning and appears to be playing those chords but, in reality it is not.
Trevor,
I didn't say anything about 3rd party plugins. That was someone else here on the forum. I'm not running any plugins.
I posted a reply to John giving as much detail as possible with words so, when you have a moment, take a look at that. In addition to that, both of the problems have to do with using the 1st and 2nd ending feature.
One possibility I thought about this morning when waking up is it might be a resource issue. I have Reaper, EZKeys, EZDrums in the systems tray. I have no clue as to how much resources programs in the tray use. I'll try removing them. It's a shot in the dark!
Thanks
Joel
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 12:12 PM
Thanks, Joey, for clarifying that.

I don't use 1st/2nd endings in BIAB (since I do all my notation in a dedicated notation program). I suspect the problem is happening somewhere in there. Have you tried (at least as an experiment) unfolding your song to one big chorus and taking out the special endings? Does it play properly then.

The few times I have used special endings, I only put them in after the rest of the song was finished and only to support a printout, not for playback.

If you have a song doing that, I would freeze it and send it to support@pgmusic.com and reference this thread. They may then be able to figure out what the problem is and provide guidance or a fix.
Hi John,
I did unfold it and it plays as expected. I did also send the file to BIAB so, I will wait to see what the outcome is.
It very well could be operator error! It's hard to check your own work otherwise there would be no jobs for proofreaders!
Joel
Hi Joel. I don't use the ending settings when I'm composing a song. The endings sound mechanical to me. Also I always unfold because of the changes throughout the songs I make. Too hard for me to keep up, plus, I don't understand a lot of the technical workings inside BB. I only use BB to create the basic song then move it over to Realband to finish.

Sometimes a song becomes corrupted during creation. Just the nature of the beast, I guess. I hope you get your problem resolved soon. Please let us know how you fixed it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Joey the Flute Guy
Trevor,
I didn't say anything about 3rd party plugins. That was someone else here on the forum. I'm not running any plugins.

Hi Joel, Yes, I agree, they weren't your comments. My post was in reply to the post by Beachboy.
Sorry for the confusion.
Trevor
Posted By: Beachboy Re: BIAB 2016: most kinks sorted out? - 02/02/16 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Can you provide more detail about the crash issues and which 3rd party plugins are now giving problems ....

Hi Trevor,
Have passed on a couple of the crashes to PG support
Kontakt, Halion 5 - BIAB never liked you "adjusting" during playback - so you could minimize to the bottom of BIAB - Now they just dissapear "never to return", can't alt/TAB, just gone. You then have to close & re-open BIAB if you want to edit any plugin slot frown
Hello Russ,
I decided to learn how to use endings for the same reason people do on paper. Makes it much easier to read and uses less real estate. I finally learned it is necessary to make the song length the sum of all the iterations. When played, the ending feature worked with the exception that on the second ending, it returns to the beginning but does not play those chord changes. It moves along as if it is playing the chords that are being displayed but in reality, it's not. I have not heard back from BIAB support yet. I hope they are working on the problem.
Joel
OK.... BIAB support got back to me today with the following and, as I had previously posted that I suspected.....OPERATOR ERROR!

Hello Joel,
"Rather than using the Song Form options to set the parameters for your song (1 36 2) you entered a single chorus. Then, when you entered the first and second ending, it looks like you didn't check the box to "Generate/insert new bars"

"As a result, no chord changes are entered into measures 37 to 70. If you take your chord sheet out of FakeSheet mode you'll see the blank measures. "

"in the future, either set your song pointers to 36 bars with 2x repeat and a tag ending, or make sure you check the "generate/insert new bars" option when creating your first and second ending."

"I've reset this song with a new song form and tag ending, removing the first and second ending, to get you started! The new .sgu file is attached."

Thank you,
Alyssa
PG Music Inc.

I haven't actually tried this yet as I'm tired and and had one to many Mimosas! I'll get to it in the morning.
Joel
© PG Music Forums