PG Music Home
Posted By: russ66 no sound from tracks - 02/02/16 10:03 PM
Hi, long time no post. I'm getting no sound from my tracks in BB when I plug in a USB recording mic. All sound stops as soon as the mic is plugged in. You can see the song continuing to be played by seeing it advance on the cord sheet, but with no sound. I have the 2012 version of BB. A Sony Vaio E Series lap top computer & a Blue Yeti USB recording mic. I recorded successfully about 6 months ago. Hope some techie guy out there can help. Please talk English as much as possible.
russ66
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: no sound from tracks - 02/02/16 11:32 PM

Check first if the microphone works outside of BiaB

Plug the microphone in and follow these steps:

Attached picture 2016-02-03_13-24-18.jpg
Attached picture 2016-02-03_13-25-59.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: no sound from tracks - 02/02/16 11:43 PM
Next thing to check:
Windows > Control Panel > Device Manager
Check for Exclamation Mark indicating a possible incorrect driver or no driver installed.

Have you upgraded the operating system on the laptop (e.g. Windows 10 upgrade)?

Attached picture 2016-02-03_13-37-29.jpg
Attached picture 2016-02-03_13-38-48.jpg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: no sound from tracks - 02/03/16 10:11 AM
Do all the things mentioned above to see if you can get it to work.....

Understand this: A USB mic is essentially a one way sound card. Sound goes in but not the other way around. Most computers have a hard time dealing with 2 sound cards at the same time. They like to work with one thing at a time.

When you plug in the mic, it apparently is becoming the sound card the computer uses.... and since it has no output... you hear nothing.

You would need to select the factory card (internal) as the output. The problem with this is that the clocks in the 2 cards don't sync and if you can get it to work at all, you will very likely have audio sync issues on playback.

The solution is a professional quality USB sound card/interface which allows you to use a real mic (as opposed to a USB mic) and which handles the input as well as output of the music all in one package that is running ASIO drivers. USB mics have their place and purpose but it is NOT in recording and playback of multitrack music in the manner we do things. It is possible to use a USB mic, but it is generally not the most optimal or convenient way to do recording.
Posted By: russ66 Re: no sound from tracks - 02/03/16 01:13 PM
Hey, thanks! Turned out to be an easy fix. I had to many devices plugged into the lap top. Duh! As to the USB mic, for now it fits my needs. I have a pretty good one. All I use it for is to record my voice to the audio track, harmonize it, then sing to it live with it @ a lessor volume than my live voice. This has worked OK for my needs in my small venue live gigs with my guitar, my voice & of course backing tracks in BB. but who knows maybe I'll upgrade to a regular recording mic like you say. Thanks for the advice.
russ66
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: no sound from tracks - 02/04/16 07:42 PM
Glad to have helped, and thanks for letting us know the resolution. This can help others in the future.
© PG Music Forums