PG Music Home
Posted By: A-Z 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 08:31 AM
Ok first up I'm in BIAB for mac 2014 but posting here in this larger forum as i'm assuming the answer is the same for mac or windows.

I am trying to do "I want a little sugar in my bowl" sung by Nina Simone.
it's 6/8 timing and there are several 1/2 bar chord changes... you know when you put a chord change in half way through the bar.

I've read the forums and see i have to select a 6/8 swing style and it will sit in 3/4 and then have to double the timing from original 64 BPM to 128 BPM... right? (which by the way sounds way too fast frown ) anyways so then when i type a half bar chord change in if i type it in the second half of a bar in 3/4 is that the same as a chord sitting in the 2nd half of a 6/8 timing bar??? or do i have to type out all the chords and let each bar if for e.g. it stretches a whole 6/8 on original manuscript, in BIAB is has to span 2 bars? in which case a half bar change is the first chord in the first bar then the next chord in the next numbered bar....?

is any of this making sense?
Can someone help?
Hi A-Z

Nina Simone's version of I want a little sugar in my bowl is actually a very slow 4, but it could sound or be interpreted as a series of triplets (more like 12/8).

What about
_SLOWBAL.STY. (Slow Jazz Ballad,Pno&Bass(60 RS)) at 60

or

_JBLADEP.STY. Jazz Ballad with El.Piano [60RS]

Both of these are from recommendations from the Style Picker.

Perhaps look for a slow 4 swing with a tempo around 60 and see if that would work.
Posted By: A-Z Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 10:20 AM
i found about 6 versions online on both paid and free guitar tab sites that were all different and wrong so i ended up just buying the full manuscript from musicnotes.com which is the original 1931 version owned by EMI Publishing and its in 6/8. I had so many messes trying to work with the cord sheets i found before that that I've decided to just trust the full score i paid for officially as I'm assuming its the most accurate... which now makes it pretty hard to write up a backing track in BIAB :-/
Posted By: A-Z Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 10:21 AM
ps. it says on the score that its the Nina Simone version.
Posted By: A-Z Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 10:22 AM
oh PPS and I need to build it in to a swing 6/8 :-?
Oh OK

I researched and listened to these two:

Nina Simone - I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl

and

Nina Simone-I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl

They didn't sound exactly 6/8, more like a slow 4, but what about:
=CR128_B.STY. 12/8 Country Ballad(65 RT)

or

M_TBLSLP.STY. Solo TexBlsRck 12-8 MIDI[60MST]
Posted By: GHinCH Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 10:47 AM
You could make use of some of the 12/8 styles and maybe get close to solve your problem.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 10:59 AM
Like this one for instance, just as an example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37640589/Untitled%20Song.SGU

Edit: VideoTrack was publishing his answer as I was typing and researching mine.
Posted By: jford Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 03/31/16 11:43 AM
Since BIAB doesn't support 6/8 time natively, you have two different choices.

The first is to use a Waltz style and then use two 3/4 bars to represent one 6/8 measure. You obviously need to adjust the tempo accordingly and your notation will not look correct (if you need the notation). But it should generally sound fine (depending upon the style).

The second (and generally preferred) option is to select a swing style (or one labeled as 12_8). It's not really 12/8, but it is implemented as tripletized 8th notes per beat. So for this song, you would have to use each beat for each set of triplets. So unlike the 3/4 method, you would have two bars of your song represented by one measure (bar) in BIAB.

The second solution is great for 6/8 if chords only change on beat one or four(as you indicated it does).

The first solution is required if the chords change on beats 2, 3, 5, or 6.

Neither solution will give you proper notation, but both should sound fine.
Posted By: A-Z Re: 6/8 timing with half bar chord changes - 04/25/18 09:58 AM
thank you :0)
© PG Music Forums