PG Music Home
Just installed Sampletank 2 & 3 on my PC and working fine. Only problem is that in BIAB it asks me for Administrator login to save settings. I've changed the property in the icon for standalone version of 2 and it works fine, but how do you change it in an embedded VST or whatever it is? grin Thanks. I loose my sounds everytime I log out even though I save the file in BIAB.
It seems you have a two part question: 1) how to set ST 2 as default VSTi (plug in) synth? and 2) once you do that how do you save a particular set of SampleTank INSTRUMENTS (SampleTank patches if you prefer that terminology)?

If that is what you want then:

First, and this is "just in case" and please don’t use SampleTank 2's DXi - the DirectX plug in version (DXI of ST) causes some intermittent issues so to be safe use only the VSTi.

If this is FIRST time trying to load SampleTank 2 VSTi , you will have to tell BIAB where to find it (see step 3 in fist pic). That means YOU will HAVE to KNOW where YOU told SampleTank 2 to install the VSTi.

If you are using a 64 bit OS (and you must be if you are using SampleTank 3!) then it will probably be somewhere under the C:\ Program Files (X86)\ folder.

It might be in the \IK Multi Media sub-directory, it might be in the \VST or \VstPlugIns sub-directories. IN any case, you are looking for a file called "SampleTank2.x.dll" (you are not looking for an .exe file, you are not looking for any other .dll, only this one)

Now that you have set ST 2 as the DEFUALT synth, picture 2 shows you how to save and load a "group" ( .tgs) file (this saves the plugin's settings). This .tgs file will be saved in your BB folder (x:\...\BB\DX Settings\) , the X:\... is where ever you have BIAB installed. The only reason to make a .tgs file is the same reason you save any config file - you might want multiple configurations or if anything ever happened to that perfect collection of settings - LOL.

Finally, you really DO NOT NEED to create a .tgs file if all you want to do is have BIAB load ST 2 as the default at BIAB start up and have BIAB remember the instruments you had selected within ST 2: now that you have ST 2 set as default and you have it loaded up with instruments the way you want close BAIB and re-open, the LAST DEFAULT settings are loaded.

Attached picture part 1.jpg
Attached picture part 2.jpg
Thanks Larry. Very helpful. You were right, I was trying to use SampleTank 2 as a DXi but now I've got it as a VSTi. All of the information was of great use, but I still had the problem of how to change the properties on the VSTi to administrator. John on the RB forum fixed it for me. (See picture below to see what the problem was.) I hadn't changed the properties of the RB and BIAB icons to Administrator (2 places in each). Once I did that, the message disappeared. Apparently the settings flow through to the VSTi's etc. I saved my settings as you said as a precaution and it saves my defaults settings fine. I'm very happy now and it also led me to dip my toes into Real Band. I like what I see so far in RB for editing midi files. grin

Attached picture error1.jpg
Yes, John is always very helpful

Glad you got it going

Larry
© PG Music Forums