PG Music Home
Posted By: johnnyzell New Vista SP2 - 05/30/09 10:27 PM
Hi Family: Anybody using the new Vista SP2 with BIAB yet? Does it fix anything or make anything run easier or better?
Posted By: Rachael Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/30/09 10:53 PM
I have SP2. I've noticed no difference in how BIAB runs on my setup.

R
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 01:33 AM
There's a SP2 for Vista?

Gary
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 02:26 AM
I installed SP2 for Vista (Home Premium) a couple of days ago and everything is working just as it was before.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 04:09 AM
On the SONAR Users Forum, there have been many recent posts that praise Vista SP2 and mention faster bootup, throughput and shutdown times, as well as lower latency measured by the DPC Latency Checker utility. Some have said that, while WIN 7 RC is better, SP2 is close and more like the performance of XP. One poster said his system was responding much worse since his upgrade, but he gave no evidence and did not seem to be a power user who could deal with system problems.
Posted By: Poppa Willis Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 04:27 AM
Well it's almost 344 megs - oughta fix somethin' - I have not installed it yet - just now downloading it.

I'll let ya know what's up if anything.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 08:52 AM
Hi Matt,

Just to confirm the points you make - I took some measurements before and after installing SP2 and in each case the SP2 was an improvement

There is no problem running BIAB and one small thing is that the stupid error message on closing BIAB with DXi active has disappeared - tried it three times and after re-boots

The work done on speed and processing is impressive
jazzman
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 09:33 AM
Thanks Matt! Very helpful and concise remarks. BIAB runs much better on my machine; Fujitsu Life Book N6460 (Vista)with a lot of memory and dual core now with SP2. Also, LOVED your "Brazilian Wish"!
http://www.jazell.com
Posted By: Asian Sun Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 05:25 PM
I get pops noise and intermittent sound from my newly installed vista (therefore still unusable for BIAB) .. any workaround?

thanks..

Quote:

Hi Family: Anybody using the new Vista SP2 with BIAB yet? Does it fix anything or make anything run easier or better?

Posted By: Jazzman Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 06:36 PM
Hi Asian Sun,

Can you give us more info regarding the problem you have -

Has the problem just started with the installation of SP2 or did you have it before

Are you using ASIO drivers

What soundcard do you use

Are you set to VSC DXi

jazzman
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 07:18 PM
I have it installed, and I haven't noticed any difference. Runs as before. Total of 578MB for the 64 bit version. I WISH they had upgraded the UAC to the Win 7 version of it, though.

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New Vista SP2 - 05/31/09 08:15 PM
Quote:

LOVED your "Brazilian Wish"!

Thanks for the kind words about my CD! We recently recorded eight more of my songs, all of which started in BIAB like the nine on Brazilian Wish.

Just to be clear, I have not tried Vista SP2. However, I am using Windows 7 RC on a spare hard drive, and I love it. The temp drive has become my new production drive.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Vista SP2 - 06/01/09 03:30 AM
Matt,
That CD, who is it for, what's the title, and when will it be available?

Gary
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New Vista SP2 - 06/01/09 03:59 AM
Hi Gary. It will be under the name of Tomas Martin Lopez, the percussionist on my CD. He asked me to help him with his debut CD by writing some tunes, and I'm on trumpet, flugel, and even one tune on soprano sax. Bill O'Connell, the great Latin jazz pianist with Dave Valentin, contributed three tunes and most of the arrangements, and played great on the gig. Ruben Rodriguez on bass, Ivan Renta (a monster at age 28) on tenor, and the incomparable Joel Rosenblatt on drums (from Spyro Gyra) round out the group. Tomas is just starting to mix it now.

I'm also producing a music-minus-one CD of all 17 of my songs from both CDs, with the charts. Since all started life in BIAB, I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: New Vista SP2 - 06/01/09 11:53 PM
Oh yeah, I want BOTH of those CDs. That Music Minus One is going to be great, I have a friend who I've shown your YouTube stuff to, and let him hear some of Brazilian Wish, and I bet he would jump at the chance to play that stuff. Not to mention, I want to see what I can do with it on Keyboard.

Gary
© PG Music Forums