PG Music Home
Posted By: DEddy Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 09:12 AM
Hi guys

I want to go back to Midi as my main source (mainly for editing).

I know there are a few diehards out there; and hoping I can get some info on setting BIAB up (and Realband if needed).

What Prefs setup required and any other info would be appreciated.

Really would appreciate screenshots (old fart @70). I can save the info in my Pers Help folder.

Thanks in advance for your input.

DE
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 09:22 AM
I've worked with Midi and find it easier to do in a DAW. But that's just me.

Once I found BB & RB, I started to move away from the midi based stuff and started using audio tracks exclusively.

Now days, I do use Midi but it's generally in the DAW to play something custom that BB/RB won't or can't play.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 09:33 AM
DE,

To be able to use midi fully, it's necessary to deactivate the auto-substitute option for Realtracks.

These are...

1. Go to "Options | Preferences | Realtracks" and deselect the options I've highlighted on the image below.

2.Return to the chord sheet.

3. Right click on the chord sheet and select "Song Settings".

4. Check that the auto-substitute I've highlighted with asterisks on the image below is grayed out (indicating that it's been disabled in the Realtracks preferences).

5. Deactivate the "Allow Style Aliases" option that I've also highlighted above.

That should do it.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I suggest that you copy and save this post so that you can easily return to your previous settings should the need arise.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 10:30 AM
Great advice from Noel.

I use mostly MIDI. Same reason, for editing.

MIDI is thousands times more editable than audio.

People listen to expression more than they listen for tone. After all they embraced or are embracing 45RPM records, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, and 128k mp3 tracks.

The public doesn't care about the finest nuances of tone, they care about the music, and with MIDI you can make the music say what YOU want it to say.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: DEddy Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 02:10 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.
Noel thanks for the screenshots.

Last Question??: anything specific for RealTrack Picker and or RealDrums Picker. Or RealBand?

Thanks in advance.

DE
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: DEddy
Last Question??: anything specific for RealTrack Picker and or RealDrums Picker. Or RealBand?

Thanks for reminding me, DE. I forgot about Realdrums. If you want to get midi drums happening, you'll need to turn off the auto-substitute in "Options | Preferences | Realdrums".

All else should be good to go, now.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I've found that there are some awesome midi tracks in BIAB. When they're plugged into a great software synthesiser, they sound first class. Like Notes Norton, I like midi because I have complete control over it. The midi tracks I use most as bass, organ, piano and sometimes strings.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 06:57 PM
If you have some good drum samples (Like "Addictive Drums"), you can get some killer drums in BIAB MIDI. Much easier way to bring out a snare or a kick a little bit by just changing the velocity.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Going back to Midi - 06/23/16 07:36 PM
Why one or the other?

You can mix them with great results. If you have MIDI samples that sound like a real instrument, then mix them in with the real instrument. In my experience, this sounds great. For example. If you are switching between a real acoustic bass player and good MIDI samples, it sounds fine. Very few people would notice that, and it just sounds like a,subtle tone change anyway, which might have been the intention anyway.

If you have a great guitar RealTracks like one played by Brent Mason, but you need to have a certain riff at a certain point, then just mute the audio RealTrack and put in the MIDi riff. Don't get rid of the entire RealTrack, you'll lose the authenticity of a real guitar sound. That would be a mistake that would get noticed by most people listening - a MIDI guitar track doesn't come close to a great guitar player.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Going back to Midi - 06/24/16 09:09 AM
Again; thanks guys for the feedback (and again for the screenshot(s)).

This forum is great for help.

DE
© PG Music Forums