PG Music Home
Posted By: Llewellen Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/23/16 11:14 PM
Just registered. First post. Hope I have this in the correct forum.
Considering buying Band in a Box. Have a few questions, some of which might seem strange but their answers will tell me a lot about if it can do what I want. Here's the first one.

Can a newbie user get BIB to do a reasonable approximation of Bernard "Pretty" Purdie drums i.e. something approaching the Purdie shuffle?

Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/23/16 11:23 PM
Hi. I know who you mean, but I'm not familiar with this beat as a drummer would be. Is it possible for you to put up a short audio file of that sound somewhere on the Internet (like a free public Dropbox account), and put a link to it here? Is there a hit song with the specific sound?
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 12:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWdp1sOxvA
Here's the Bernard Purdie shuffle. I don't think any of BIAB's 12/8 styles are like this. Ray
Posted By: Llewellen Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 11:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Hi. I know who you mean, but I'm not familiar with this beat as a drummer would be. Is it possible for you to put up a short audio file of that sound somewhere on the Internet (like a free public Dropbox account), and put a link to it here? Is there a hit song with the specific sound?

Here's a link to a youtube vid where he breaks it down really nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWdp1sOxvA

Bonham also does something similar on Led Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GYov0EdyQ

And here's a great link with him working with Steely Dan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldtieSEyQM
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 12:18 PM
That was great fun! I recognize the sound better, now that it has been broken down so clearly.

I too think there is not a comparable sound in BIAB RealDrums, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Llewellen Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
That was great fun! I recognize the sound better, now that it has been broken down so clearly.

I too think there is not a comparable sound in BIAB RealDrums, but I could be wrong.

That surprises me. Purdie has played on a gazillion records by major artists. It's not like his style is unusual or obscure, or anything. Everybody has heard him (most likely without knowing it).

I expected to receive an answer like "It can be done but you have to be more advanced than a newbie to make it happen" not "it's just not there".
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Llewellen
...I expected to receive an answer like "It can be done but you have to be more advanced than a newbie to make it happen" not "it's just not there".

Llwellen, also welcome to the forums. Answers given here are honest and reflect end-users knowledge of the products.

This page, from the company itself has many audio demos where you can select and listen to different drum styles.

You should review yourself, but under "RealDrums Set 4: Rock, Pop and More! " there is a Pop128^ style. It's not Bernard, but it might work for you.

I wouldn't be too put off unless you are considering purchasing only if it includes the Purdie Shuffle. There are many fantastic real drums by excellent artists (Craig Scott, Terry Clarke to name a few) included in the various packages.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 06:25 PM
And Danny Gottlieb, with whom I've done a concert and a session. Amazing jazz drummer.
Posted By: Llewellen Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 11:00 PM
"I wouldn't be too put off unless you are considering purchasing only if it includes the Purdie Shuffle. There are many fantastic real drums by excellent artists (Craig Scott, Terry Clarke to name a few) included in the various packages."

[u][/u]

No, I won't be put off by that alone. I asked that question as a way of trying to determine the level of detail that might be available in selecting drum parts - i.e does BIAB get down to that level.

That said, I'm still surprised that such a widely known, recorded and respected studio player as Purdie wasn't included in the palette. Maybe he declined the gig?

Thanks for the link and the info.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/24/16 11:20 PM
You could also call PG Music Sales (Pacific time) and ask them. The number is at the bottom of their home page, here: http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Bernard Purdie Drums - 06/26/16 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Llewellen
I asked that question as a way of trying to determine the level of detail that might be available in selecting drum parts - i.e does BIAB get down to that level.

That said, I'm still surprised that such a widely known, recorded and respected studio player as Purdie wasn't included in the palette. Maybe he declined the gig?

Or maybe his price was too high? You can create anything you want with midi but for Real Drums, it's whatever the session calls for.

I agree this would be a cool style for a RD project. Put it in the Wishlist.

Bob
© PG Music Forums