PG Music Home
Posted By: Bones McCoy Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 04:25 AM
Hello BIAB'ers,

I've just purchased the 2016 UltraPlusPAK.

I have been playing for income locally and live, mostly as a solo act since the late 1970’s. I started with the likes of Jim Croce, Al Stewart, Cat Stevens, Steely Dan, Chuck Berry, Moody Blues, etc.

This was before the Roland TB303 and Roland TR606 and before MIDI was even born (I was a Roland Sync / FSK user before MIDI). My first live gigs for income were playing restaurants and such for $50 per night plus a meal.

I have not played anywhere live for income for eight years now, as I teach fulltime now. Also local, live, good paying gig are virtually nonexistent due to a variety or reasons. I have done some weddings and other functions as a DJ, but I do not consider that an aspect of musicianship.

I play guitar, guitar-synth, keys and of course sing and I have no consequential internet presence preferring instead to spend that time keeping my chops up and working in my studio based on iOS and PC but that's a whole other story I guess.

I still jam with people on occasion and I might put a band together at some point, or do my solo act again. I also have an iPad Air 2 128 that I've loaded up with a ton of music apps often getting ideas from https://forum.audiob.us/ I also sometimes hang here http://www.vguitarforums.com

My intent is to get to know you all, learn from you all, learn how to use BIAB, perhaps get a proper internet presence, maybe start playing live again and continue with my music studio efforts. On a related note I have too much gear and I recently bought a Novation LaunchPad Mini, Keith McMillan SoftStep 2, and a bunch of other iOS-useable hardware.

As an aside, I take a great interest in the works of people such as Christopher Hitchens, Arthur C. Clarke, Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Isaac Asimov, Gregory Benford, Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, Bill Nye and many other luminaries, as well as donating to nonprofits such as The Planetary Society, Western Wilderness Society, ACLU, Richard Dawkins Foundation, Project Reason, etc.

Oftentimes I practice the modes (you know Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian…) while watching videos of said luminaries.

I look forward to learning more about BIAB!
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 05:25 AM
Welcome in the friendliest forum available.

We all learn from each other in this forum. Some more than others, but that is equivalent to glasses of water with different filling levels and wells with different output.

Almost any question asked in this forum and its subforums has resulted in an answer or solution.

While playing guitar and accordion, and I still do have a pedal steel guitar that I don't play anymore, I use BIAB mostly to create backing tracks for my major hobby: calling square dances.

Have a super day and lots of fun on this forum.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 06:13 AM
Welcome here. You may be the only musician to have ever written the words, "I have too much gear". You have a great background to learn and use BIAB and we will be ready for your questions.

"He's dead, Jim".
Posted By: DEddy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 09:23 AM
Welcome talented one.

This is the best forum to be in. "Lots" of friendly, good advice. BIAB can be challenging but this is the place to come to with questions.

a PS: don't forget Real Band (RB). Many work in BIAB first and finish the product in RB (just so you know).

There are "dozens" of video tutorials here on this site.

DE
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 10:52 AM
I'm sending my copy of 'Welcome to the neighborhood' too!
Seems you already have a wealth of musical knowledge. We might be asking you a few questions also!
Trev
Posted By: jford Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 11:39 AM
Welcome! And yes, ask away. We're happy to help you try to figure out the answers. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes it needs to be passed off to PGMusic, and sometimes we come up with a workaround until PGMusic can fix it.

The cool thing is that your new Band (in-a-box) is always there when you need them, even if you get a wild hair in the middle of the night.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 04:34 PM
Welcome to the crew Bones McCoy,

Many forum members teach music, perform live and/or record for their personal enjoyment. Some have intergrated BiaB into their lesson plans and into their performaces or recordings. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are great tools to have in your musical toolbox.

As others have noted, we are here to help, encourage and share. Enjoy!
Posted By: P Glaser Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 06:59 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are many a sharp user here!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/18/16 07:30 PM
Bones, great handle btw. Lots of Trek fans here.

You sound like me except for the teaching part. My one question since you have all IOS stuff is do you have Biab for Windows or Mac? If it's Mac, you're in the wrong forum, there is a dedicated Biab Mac forum here too. It also helps to tell us more about yourself in your info area starting with where you live.

Look at my sig, I too have way too much stuff because I didn't list everything...GAS can be fun.

Bob
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/22/16 08:00 PM
Welcome aboard!

have fun!
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 07/23/16 09:11 AM
Welcome to a friendly and helpful group of guys and gals. It's like extended family here and I think you;'ll like it.

I play music for a living, and the only time I have too much gear is when I'm packing in and especially packing out from the gig.

While gigging I wish I brought more instruments along, and when looking at gear catalogs, I have to be careful to keep the drool off the pages wink

I play voice, sax, flute, wind synth, guitar and percussion on stage and also keyboard synth, bass and drums at home.

I don't teach but in the past I gave private lessons on sax.

We are a varied group, and you will find people with a variety of musical skill sets from the beginners to people with monster chops. We are all eager to share what we know and the sum total of our experience is enormous.

BTW, DJ-ing isn't musical like playing and instrument, but it is very similar to leading a band in knowing what to play and when to play it.

I'm probably rambling about myself too much, it's your introduction, now that you know me, we'll get more familiar with each other through our posts.

Notes
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:20 AM
That's intriguing, a German hobbyist square dance caller, sounds like a line in a Zappa tune! I am most pleased to meet you and my apologies for the delay in responding; life interfered as it must from time to time.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:26 AM
Thank you for the kind welcome and I feel the idiom "an embarrassment of riches" as per John Ozell might in part outline some of us; I try to balance my material possessions with social responsibility, not always very successfully alas.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:33 AM
Thank you for the welcome and the moniker of "talented one" however I must admit my talents are fading as I age @ 60. Perhaps if I play my cards right, for at time at least, I’ll be able to balance my declining skills with an increase in experience and patience, and thus no one will be the wiser. On the other hand I may be heading towards cranky-old-man-syndrome, arguably a fate worse then death.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:41 AM
Your copy of welcome to the neighborhood has been received with appreciation and I wish I was as rich with musical knowledge as you suggest. I try to be a lifelong learner of as many disciplines as I can muster, after all, if you wish to believe it at least, as presumably ascribed to Socrates, the unexamined life is not worth living.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:49 AM
Thank you for the welcome and I’ll be sure to ask lots of questions once I get everything setup with my new i7 PC laptop. Happily I still have hair, and yep it can get untamed in the night, rather like when I was a younger man.

Let them leave you up in the air
Let them brush your rock and roll hair

The Cars
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:57 AM
Thank you for your kindness and dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a . . .

I much appreciate any help, encouragement and sharing!
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 11:58 AM
Your welcome is indeed appreciated.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 12:08 PM
Yep I enjoyed Star Trek as a child as I now appreciate Neil degrease Tyson et al for their scientific / mathematical skill sets. As to your one question about iOS, the only iOs device I have is an iPad Air 2 128, everything else Windows PC (and a bit of Android) and sure GAS can be fun (as well as distracting alas).
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 12:09 PM
Thank you for the welcome Danny!
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 12:18 PM
Thank you Notes Norton for the very kind welcome. Many years ago I had Band-in-a-Box when it was a much simpler pure MIDI application and I recall your efforts to improve its functionality via various styles etc. I truly appreciate your response and in no way would I ever consider your texts to ramble, as I am aware of your fine musical competence.
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 12:40 PM
How do I subscribe to a thread to get email notifications? I’ve tried Topic Options / Watched Topics but it does not seem to do anything, sadly.
Posted By: rharv Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/20/16 10:48 PM
Looks like that option is missing here.
I tried to use Topic Options and ended up with a message that said:
File not found: scripts/editnotify.inc.php

I clicked the magnifying glass on the topic (after selecting to 'watch' it).
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/21/16 12:22 AM
I just went to : My Stuff-Watch List-Edit. I'll post back if it works. Ray

Posted By: CountryTrash Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/21/16 03:46 AM
Welome Bones!!!

The new model BIAB/RB will knock your socks off!!

I also have more than I can use at any time but I just HAD to have it!!

(Like they say ....I just hope that when I die my wife don't sell my stuff for I said I paid for it....)
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/21/16 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: raymb1

The above works just fine. I'm getting notifications for all the topics that I clicked yes and notify me by e-mail. Ray

Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/21/16 06:07 PM
Hello bones!

Welcome aboard!

You will find a very helpful and frenziedly community of musicians here. Can't wait to hear what new twists you find in the BiaB suite to foster your creative urges.

- jdw
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/31/16 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: raymb1

The above works just fine. I'm getting notifications for all the topics that I clicked yes and notify me by e-mail. Ray
Ah, I got it to work, this website seems a bit arcane, unintuitive, and cluttered rather like the GUI of BIAB (or my mental state from time to time).
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 08/31/16 02:31 AM
Thank you veteran Flatfoot, and I hope my urges are of the creative nature and not of the kind that aims computers against walls.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 09/10/16 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Bones McCoy
Hello BIAB'ers,

I've just purchased the 2016 UltraPlusPAK.

I have been playing for income locally and live, mostly as a solo act since the late 1970’s. I started with the likes of Jim Croce, Al Stewart, Cat Stevens, Steely Dan, Chuck Berry, Moody Blues, etc.

This was before the Roland TB303 and Roland TR606 and before MIDI was even born (I was a Roland Sync / FSK user before MIDI). My first live gigs for income were playing restaurants and such for $50 per night plus a meal.

I have not played anywhere live for income for eight years now, as I teach fulltime now. Also local, live, good paying gig are virtually nonexistent due to a variety or reasons. I have done some weddings and other functions as a DJ, but I do not consider that an aspect of musicianship.

I play guitar, guitar-synth, keys and of course sing and I have no consequential internet presence preferring instead to spend that time keeping my chops up and working in my studio based on iOS and PC but that's a whole other story I guess.

I still jam with people on occasion and I might put a band together at some point, or do my solo act again. I also have an iPad Air 2 128 that I've loaded up with a ton of music apps often getting ideas from https://forum.audiob.us/ I also sometimes hang here http://www.vguitarforums.com

My intent is to get to know you all, learn from you all, learn how to use BIAB, perhaps get a proper internet presence, maybe start playing live again and continue with my music studio efforts. On a related note I have too much gear and I recently bought a Novation LaunchPad Mini, Keith McMillan SoftStep 2, and a bunch of other iOS-useable hardware.

As an aside, I take a great interest in the works of people such as Christopher Hitchens, Arthur C. Clarke, Richard Dawkins, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Isaac Asimov, Gregory Benford, Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, Bill Nye and many other luminaries, as well as donating to nonprofits such as The Planetary Society, Western Wilderness Society, ACLU, Richard Dawkins Foundation, Project Reason, etc.

Oftentimes I practice the modes (you know Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian…) while watching videos of said luminaries.

I look forward to learning more about BIAB!

Hello Bones McCoy!,

Glad to hear your enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box!

An excellent resource to help kickstart your understanding of Band-in-a-Box are the video tutorials seen on our support page here: http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Welcome to the forums!
Posted By: Bones McCoy Re: Hello I'm New Here! - 09/10/16 01:32 PM
Thank you Joe, you thoughtfulness is encouraging! Might I ask what your position is with PG Music?
© PG Music Forums