PG Music Home
Posted By: Lee Batchelor Forum format issue - 08/17/16 04:32 PM
Hi team,

Whenever I click a topic in this forum, the topic opens fine but half way down the page. No other forum I belong to exhibits this behavior. I must scroll to the top of the page to read the first post (question). It's very annoying. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and MS Edge. The same thing happens with Chrome, except the start point is just below the top. I can still see part of the first post but still must scroll to the top. As mentioned, I belong to several other forums. None of them exhibit this type of behavior. Thanks.

- Lee
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Forum format issue - 08/17/16 05:16 PM
Yes I do, hit the Home button on your keyboard.
Posted By: jford Re: Forum format issue - 08/17/16 05:49 PM
I get the same thing. I just scroll up or hit home on the keyboard.
Posted By: Lee Batchelor Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 09:34 AM
Okay, thanks guys. This issue shouldn't be happening. There's obviously something amiss with this forum's software. I wonder how many members have the same problem, and just ignore it or tune it out after a while.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 09:40 AM
It didn't happen until PGM released the new Forum format about 3 years ago. Before that, the top of the page was the top of the page.

Since then, I always have the top of the page cut off and have to scroll up. (Laugh, I thought is must have only been me. It must be everyone, except perhaps PGM music's own site?)

Attached picture 2016-08-18_22-41-52.jpg
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 11:41 AM
If you visit our forums often, when you select a topic to view, it will usually take you to the first unread post (you'll notice the "#UNREAD" at the end of the URL).

Head to My Stuff | Edit Preferences to review the viewing options available. You may find you're able to adjust these settings for better viewing. I have mine set as:
Default Starting View: "Traditional Forum View"
Default Watched Tab: Watched Forums
Default Watch Sort: Reply Time
Topic Display Mode: Flat Mode
Post Layout: User info on side
Turn off the right column: No
Show preview (tooltip) when hovering over a topic: No

There are quite a few more options within this Preferences page, and I've left them to the default settings.

Note: when we updated our website a few years ago, we adjusted the settings so that the PG Music Logo | Band-in-a-Box Windows | Band-in-a-Box Mac | Other Software | etc... menu along the top of our site would always be available, no matter what page you were on, or if you scrolled down. So, there will be a small "scroll up" required on any forum thread in order to see the very top of the topic, where it has the title, and the Forum menu (Forum List | Latest Topics| etc....)

If anyone else has suggestions on how to improve this forum, don't hesitate to contact us!

Thanks - Callie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Note: when we updated our website a few years ago, we adjusted the settings so that the PG Music Logo | Band-in-a-Box Windows | Band-in-a-Box Mac | Other Software | etc... menu along the top of our site would always be available, no matter what page you were on, or if you scrolled down. So, there will be a small "scroll up" required on any forum thread in order to see the very top of the topic, where it has the title, and the Forum menu (Forum List | Latest Topics| etc....)

Callie, thanks for the fast feedback. What you described above is exactly what I experience. What happens for me is each topic opens with the subject, opening comments, and users details cut-off, and only partial content of there post is viewable - every time - unless I manually scroll up (again, every time)

I'm sure this must be changeable so that the relevant heading is not truncated - even with the logo.
This is the only forum I know of that has this heading truncation.

Here's an example:

Attached picture 2016-08-19_01-02-18.jpg
Attached picture 2016-08-19_01-02-40.jpg
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:04 PM
Thanks VideoTrack!

I will point Andrew to this thread, so that he can look into the situation to see if there's something we could adjust so that this does not occur within our Forums.

Callie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:10 PM
Great, thanks Callie,
That would really streamline and improve the layout and operation!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:10 PM
In case it helps, I have not seen what VideoTrack displayed. Firefox under Windows 10 Pro.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:12 PM
Please could you try again Matt, I found a better example and updated the post. We might have done a 'ships in the night' so to speak.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:46 PM
I meant, the problem shown in your example is what I haven't seen. Yes, I know the example was missing when I first looked so I just waited a bit and came back.
Posted By: jford Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 12:46 PM
I get the cut-off screen; thank goodness for the mouse scroll wheel, so it's not too big a deal.
Posted By: Lee Batchelor Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 02:13 PM
I'm glad it's not just me. My sympathies to the PG developers. When I learned HTML and CSS, one website code project worked on pretty much all devices and browsers. Then, the browser developers decided to do their own thing and NOT respect users. Now, web developers must make everything work on all devices and platforms. And then there's those portable devices like iPads, iPhones, Dick Tracy watches....:)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 02:16 PM
Adaptive design. Yes, a headache.
Posted By: Lee Batchelor Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 04:34 PM
Matt, if there are Star Trek folks in our future, I'm sure they will look back at 21st century Earth computer systems and say, "What the h*** were they thinking??? They had hundreds of different systems and rules, all in the name of corporate profit!! We only need one system for the entire planet!! Mr. Spok, bring up the history data banks on one 'Bill Gates,' please." frown

But I digress...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/18/16 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In case it helps, I have not seen what VideoTrack displayed. Firefox under Windows 10 Pro.

Hmmm. I just tried on a laptop with Windows 10 Pro and Firefox (48.0.1) and it does it here. Matt must have the magic touch.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Forum format issue - 08/24/16 06:49 PM
Thanks... This should be fixed now. If it does not appear to be fixed try ctrl+f5 refresh.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Forum format issue - 08/24/16 07:45 PM
Thanks Andrew, it's working for me now. I did need to do a full refresh first.
Trevor
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Forum format issue - 08/25/16 06:01 AM
Just by way of being a Completist, the Forum also exhibits this strange opening behaviour using latest Android tablet aand smartphone and with both Firefox or Chrome browsers. Also the same effect on my PC running old Win XP Pro and with both Firefox and Chrome. So its not user system related methinks.
Got so used to a quick flick scroll that i didnt even think about it until I read the OP's post.
Ian
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Forum format issue - 08/25/16 10:10 AM
I noticed that behavior from this forum.... sometimes opening a brand new thread would take me to the second page rather than the first page at the top.

If I've been into a thread, then yes, I WANT to go to the first unread post....

In Sonar's forum.... you have the option to go to the first post every time by clicking on the thread title.... or if you've been there before, there's a little icon that takes you to the first unread post.... and if you've posted, there's a second icon to the right that lets you see at a glance if you're posted in that thread. Some really nice features to have. It's kind of hard sometimes to remember what threads I've posted in and which ones I haven't.
© PG Music Forums