PG Music Home
Posted By: bowlesj Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/21/16 08:28 AM
Hi, it just occurred to me that jamming along with BIAB in the situation below could be a problem if the piano is doing random piano comps since it will not be easy to detect the beat.

Live: Drums
Live: Bass
Live: Guitar
BIAB: Piano

So (with or without real tracks) I was thinking of adding in bongos so the beat can better be detected and it would also enhance the song. In BIAB 2012 I know some of the instruments can be changed to bongos if the style is midi. However 2016 seems a lot different and I don't quite understand all the options. In BIAB 2016 is there an easy way to include bongos (or something similar) so that the beat can be heard by everyone and it can still sound good?

Thanks,
John
Choose MIDI styles and do it the way you did it in 2012.

The editing capabilities of audio loops are minuscule compared to MIDI.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/21/16 10:31 AM
John,

In 2016, it's possible to add a loop. In my PG Music loops there are three bongo loops included. It would be worth checking to see if you also have these.

If not, search the web for an acidized bongo loop, I'm pretty sure you'll find something that works.

Lastly, keep in mind that loops can be added to any track. Seeing that I rarely use the Soloist track, that's usually where I put them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: bowlesj Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/22/16 05:51 AM
Thanks guys, that is a great help. Myself and others that are involved in these jams will really appreciate being able to do this.
It doesn't even have to be acidized Noel. Any audio clip (wav, mp3, whatever) can be a Biab loop. I don't have it open now but look in the loop window, you set the beginning and of the loop and Biab makes it work. Very slick.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/22/16 08:38 PM
Since we're talking Bongos that is true Jazzmammal, but acidized waves do work better and easier for some things once you throw in pitch shift as well as time shift .. the program has more known good data to work with.
Otherwise BiaB may be guessing at pitch.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/22/16 09:29 PM
Thanks for the added information, Bob and rharv. I've only played around with loops a few times and don't have all the technical stuff under my belt yet.
Posted By: bowlesj Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/25/16 04:20 PM
UPDATE: I accidently found the reason I could not hear the loop after I added it. I had to regenerate the song. I guess I have been too long on 2012 and not use to using real tracks :-)

I finally got back to looking at this. I found the loops that Noel found. Before adding it I tested the loop and it sounds good. So I added it to the soloist track (see attached file). I solo that track (mute all the other tracks) and start BIAB playing (I see the chords being highlighted) but do not hear anything. Thinking it might be a bit shy about being a soloist I tried a few other loops but they are all shy :-) Somehow I think I might be doing something wrong. It does not show in this picture but I did crank the volume to full volume but that did not work. I tried adding a loop to another song that was not using real tracks but I get the same result. I tried adding it to another free track but I get the same result.

Attached picture Soloist.png
Posted By: bowlesj Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/25/16 07:28 PM
I had trouble finding one that could do 3/4 time (6/8 time) but then I landed on the metronome set of loops and these ones seem to work. They must adjust to the bars. Many of the others (maybe most of the others) are stuck in 4/4 time. Knowing this is useful if one is in an unexpected rush to get a jam going.
Posted By: rharv Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/25/16 08:52 PM
Your image shows no signal in the mixer for the Loop.

Where did you generate it?
What bars is it on?
Maybe check F5 settings if you think it generated, but BiaB is not putting out signal..
Posted By: bowlesj Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/26/16 10:27 AM
Hi Rhave. My image was before I did the regenerate. I was not sure exactly what you meant so I tried it again. I selected the loop and started playing it without the regenerate and like you said the indicator just above the (M S *) shows nothing. However when I regenerate the song (even if it is a midi song) it finally shows the signal for the new loop track and I of course can hear it. What I found interesting is I still have to do the regenerate even if this is being applied to a midi style. I guess that makes sense.

1/ I just reread your post. I regenerated it with the "Generate and play" button.
2/ The loop is on all bars. I hear it on all bars.
3/ I pressed F5 after the regenerate on this test. I don't really understand what I see relative to the issue.
Posted By: jford Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 08/26/16 11:19 AM
I would think that if you added a loop to a track, it should trigger an automatic regeneration, much like when you make a change to the chord grid. I understand how something like a MIDI patch change wouldn't need a regeneration, but a track substitution should do so every time.
Posted By: bowlesj Re: Jamming with BIAB doing only piano comps - 11/01/16 11:31 AM
Makes sense to me.

Sorry for the late response. I have not been getting emails for this forum. I just checked my settings and I had the setting below set as a "No" value. I changed it to a yes value. Hopefully I get emails now. I am starting a new thread. I will see if my settings automatically give me an email when someone posts this time.
==========
By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?
NOTE: If the topic has already been added to your watch list, you can change your
email prefs by viewing your watch lists and clicking on the 'Edit Watched...' link.
Yes No
© PG Music Forums