PG Music Home
Posted By: Antho1965 Push or pulls etc? - 09/22/16 12:46 AM
So I am working on a sort of bluesy song and want that typical ending of a line with the pushes (as I call them) at the end of the verse, chorus etc.

So for example in the key of E the ending would have a chord structure of...

A, Bb - B... (with a hold till the end of the bar.

However no matter what I try I cannot get it to sound right, I have tried every possible combination of pushes etc I can think of.

If someone has figured this out and knows the answer...please share it with me before I lose my mind...Thank you kindly... smile

Tony
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/22/16 01:14 AM
Tony, can you describe the rhythm of those three chords? For example, I can hear it in my head as a quarter note triplet starting on beat 1 of rest, chord 1, chord 2. Then the last chord as a half-note on beat 3. But we need to know your intended rhythm to tell you how to do it.

Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/22/16 01:22 AM
Any blues 12 bar blues song...

As per at the 3 second mark of this track... When you go to the 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nM_MsXdm6E

Thanks
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/22/16 10:52 PM
Hi Tony,

If I'm understanding what you're looking for correctly, this should get it pretty close:

A,Bb(Enter)^B...(Enter)

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/22/16 10:58 PM
Antho1965,

Here's a partial answer. You will need to extend the song beyond it's normal length. All the chord progression played on the bar with the red end to the end where sound stops is part of the program and can't be changed by the user. The way to get around that is to extend the number of bars so you can create your own outro.

There is also a checkbox option to turn off all endings.
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/23/16 05:13 PM
So I had another post but lost it...

In that post I came to realization that maybe 4 single bars for that section would do the trick.

As beats 1 and 3 are on the AND - while beat 2 is on the beat...

This would have to be a 5 beat bar.

Beats

1 (BLANK)

2 - ^A - The push of the first beat (what I call a push)

3 - Bb - This is really beat #2 on the beat

4 - ^B... - A push on beat 3 with a hold

5 - (BLANK) part of the hold.

Thoughts?....

I shall try to give this a whirl tonight...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/23/16 09:14 PM
Hi Tony,

Download and have a listen to the below SGU file.

Is this the timing you're after? If it is, below is how I went about creating it.

Background Notes
The 'A Bb B' chord pattern is across 1/8th note triplets. To accomplish this in BIAB needs to use a bar of three beats that plays in the time of a single beat of 4/4. Below is how I set that up for a backing at 85 bpm.

The Process
1. Select a suitable 4/4 blues shuffle style and set the song's tempo to 85.

2. Bars 2 and 3 (and 5 and 6) in the example work together as a single bar.

3. Right-click on bar 2, select bar settings and set "#beats this bar" to 3. This bar will play these three beats in the same tempo as the song (in this case 85 bpm).

4. Click OK to exit bar settings.

5. Right-click on bar 3, select bar settings and set "#beats this bar" to 3 also.

6. Since all three beats of bar 3 need to play in the time of a single beat of bar 2, set "Tempo change to" to 255 (that is 3 x 85 = 255).

7. Click OK to exit bar settings.

8. Right-click on bar 4, select bar settings and set "#beats this bar" to 4 and "Tempo change to" to 85. (That is, return all settings back to the original time signature.)

9. Click OK to exit bar settings.

10. Repeat the above with bars 5, 6, and 7. The settings in bars 5, 6, 7 parallel those in bars 2, 3, 4.

11. Generate and play the backing.

Quote:
NOTE: This will work much better for MIDI styles than Realtracks styles. Some Realtracks will work fine but it will be a trial and error process to determine which those Realtracks are.

Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/26/16 03:50 PM
Yes that's it and that's awesome....

So the bar before the pushes and the bar of the pushes need to be 3 beats in a 4 beat bar.

That's kinda what I was thinking...but in a different way I guess.

Thank you.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/26/16 07:16 PM
Glad it was useful, Tony.

The above link for the test SGU file no longer works. Here is the updated link...

Quote:
So the bar before the pushes and the bar of the pushes need to be 3 beats in a 4 beat bar.

That's correct. The first bar of the pair is 3 beats at normal tempo. The second bar is 3 beats at three times the tempo so that these second three beats play in the time of 1 beat of the previous bar. Hence, when the two bars are combined, 4 beats are played overall.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/26/16 09:43 PM
Noel,

Sure would like to see your suggestion added to the Tips & Tricks section so I can easily find it again in the future.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/26/16 10:19 PM
Not a problem. I'll organise that for you, Jim smile

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't occur to me to post it there. Makes a lot of sense, though.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/27/16 07:27 PM
Damn....

After doing it again it still seems wrong...

The idea seems right however it may have something to do with the fact that the song I am working on is straight and the other one you had is a swing, or shuffle.

So will have to play a little more... Uggg..
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/27/16 10:38 PM
Hi Tony,

I simply based my example on the swing groove of the Youtube link you posted. If you have another Youtube example, post the link and I'll see if I can imitate it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/29/16 12:10 AM
Why don't I just give you the SGU file...DOH...so you can see what I am trying to do.

So maybe PM me your email address.

Thanks.
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/29/16 12:44 AM
Ok got it...

Double the tempo of the song for the first bar with the following chord structure in it for a straight blues feel in E This bar has 4 beats.

<Space> A..- Bb.. - B...

Followed by another bar with only 2 beats, in regular tempo, that is empty...the finish off of the hold in the B.

Thanks it...it gives you that nice push at the end of the section.

Thanks Noel for the ideas to change the tempo, I'd never have thought of that.

After that it was just a matter of playing the section with and without the pushes till I got the right feel.

Tony
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Push or pulls etc? - 09/29/16 12:48 AM
Excellent. Thank Noel at. al. for your input, I've been watching with interest.
Thanks Tony for posting your solution, as this will help others, no doubt.
© PG Music Forums