PG Music Home
Posted By: John-Luke Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 06:53 AM
By chance, I have discovered an undocumented feature of BIAB.
When you hit the numerical key DEL, you can hear the melody notes of a song. Then, hit again the key to move to the next note.
When using this feature, the BIAB accompaniment is turned OFF, you can hear only the notes of the melody.
If you hit the key in rhythm, then the melody is played in rhythm.

I don't know exactly how this feature could be useful, anyway I just give the information to all BIAB users and to the PG team.

Is there anybody to find another hidden feature of BIAB ? maybe I'm the 2016 winner ...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 08:41 AM
That's an interesting challenge, though I suspect you have already won. Stepping through the melody like that might be useful if you wanted to check every note slowly in a difficult fast passage. Congrats in finding this.

By the way, I won that 'award' once for finding an undocumented command in BIAB that controlled the Frontier Design Tranzport. It's fun finding stuff.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 10:16 AM
Matt, you win too : you have found an example of application of this feature !
Posted By: DrDan Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 06:28 PM
Undocumented maybe, but not a new feature. BIAB used to have this feature years ago but it went away. Now it appears it did not get remove, it just got lost.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 07:02 PM
Actually, it's not undocumented at all.
It's still there.
The HELP file for the guitar window states:

"These buttons will chord step advance [->], or note-step advance [>]. The chord step advance is the most commonly used function. It is also accessible by the hot keys Ins and Del on the numeric keypad and will advance or go back one chord at a time, leaving the chord displayed on the guitar."

If the melody is single note, the Ins & Del keys will sound one note at a time. If there are chords, it will sound those instead.

LLOYD S
Posted By: DrDan Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 07:25 PM
Not easy to keep it all straight, is it.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/14/16 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
The HELP file for the guitar window states:

Seriously? Ok. At least that explains why I never saw that.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Undocumented feature in BIAB - 10/15/16 12:14 PM
Matt:

I know, right?
I remembered seeing (and possibly using) those 2 shortcut keys, sometime in the distant past. It took me awhile to track down where I had seen them.

I eventually wizened up and went to the Help file and typed "del" in the search box. The very first entry it picked up was "Notation Window" and sure enough, under "Chord Step Advance", it showed the INS and DEL shortcuts.

The search function also listed "Guitar Window". That's where I remembered seeing it before.

What do you know? That dog gone Help file is helpful after all <grin>!

LLOYD S
Posted By: John-Luke Re: (Un)documented feature in BIAB - 10/15/16 02:46 PM
Guys, you're right. This feature IS documented, but it seems it is not a very known one.
© PG Music Forums