PG Music Home
Posted By: Andy A - USA Remove solo instrument - 10/21/16 09:13 PM
I must have fallen and hit my head. And I've Searched and Googled but can't solve this..and it has to be SO simple...

How do I remove an instrument from the Solo track and replace it with another? I've tried all I know to do...

And my left arm is tingling.

Be kind.

Thanks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/21/16 09:48 PM
BiaB 2016.

Right click on the Soloist track button at top of the screen or in the solo mixer where existing instrument name exists.
Make selection from sub menu.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/21/16 09:50 PM
Actually, several ways:

1. Click SOLOIST and select from the drop-down list.
2. Use SOLOIST > SELECT MIDI INSTRUMENT > best RTs. You can can customize your soloist instrument.

Also, click on the track that you want to change instruments (far right side in Windows version. The small white down arrowhead) that will display a list of instruments, as Jim suggested. There will be a similar procedure in the Mac version.

Don
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/21/16 11:21 PM
I'm missing something somewhere, or I have a software issue. Here's where I am:

There's a trumpet loaded in the solo track.

For the solo track, I'm able to select other instruments, like normal, the white arrow, or right click on the solo (or other) track, etc.

After selecting a new instrument, say accordion, generating the track, though the mixer (top right screen quadrant) displays the newly chosen instrument, the track still plays a trumpet. Regenerate, reboot BIAB, reboot CPU, return to factory settings (I reverted back after trying), no change. Close and open the song, trumpet.

I can right click the solo/mixer track and select erase track, erase midi, and the track displays an instrument I must have chosen way back; cello. But the track still plays trumpet.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/22/16 12:30 AM
Andy,

A couple of thoughts spring to mind....

It's possible that the track containing the solo trumpet is frozen. If this is the case, any change made to the track will not activate. To change the frozen status, right-click on the track and select unfreeze.

If it isn't frozen, try freezing it and then unfreezing it. Maybe something has become electronically 'stuck'.

Another possibility is that you have generated an audio file of this arrangement at some point in time and that audio is loading and playing along with BIAB when you generate the song. To see if this is the case, click on Audio on the very top menu, select "Edit Audio | Kill Entire Audio".

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/22/16 04:52 PM
Thanks, Noel.

I had tried those, but tried again now just in case, but there's no change.

It's not the end of the world, I can create multiple versions of the song and use the other tracks for as many instruments as I want for the DAW. I was going to try to create a tailored solo for this song, something I've never done, but what BIAB creates is fine and I can open a new song and re-enter the chords there. I don't use many other features that would be a hardship to re-enter, maybe just a hold or two.

No big deal at all. But I know I'd been thru this before and the solution (which was not required with any of the other "normal" tracks) was killing it, or something similar which was only available somewhere in the top right categories - File, Edit, Options, etc.

Perhaps that time I had created an Audio file.

Anyway, thank you all for your time.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/22/16 05:47 PM
Andy,

If you want to send me the track as an email attachment, I'll have a look at it.

You'll find my email address if you click on Noel96 in the column to the left of this post and then look under "View Profile".

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/22/16 07:33 PM
Thank you, Noel. Will do!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/22/16 09:07 PM
Thanks for sending the file, Andy! It helped heaps. I would never have been able to solve the problem without seeing it.

The problem was caused by a medley of Realtracks that had been installed on the Soloist track (some of BIAB's RTs contain medleys).

You may or may not be aware of this but BIAB allows users to have up to eight Realtracks on a single track. These can play simultaneously or independently.

To do this, one uses the "Medley" button (#1 on the below image) found in StylePicker.

To clear this, it's necessary to...

1. Enter into Stylepicker

2. Select the track in question (in this case the Soloist track)

3. Click on the Medley button

4. Down the bottom of the Medley selection window, select "Clear".

(The tip that the Medley was being used came from yellow pop-up messages that appeared whenever I tried to change a Realtrack on the Soloist.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Remove solo instrument - 10/23/16 12:46 PM
Wow! 8 instruments per track? That's awesome. I don't recall that screen, but I'm certain at some point while I was trying different instruments (in what I'll call the normal RT selection screen) I loaded a melody of brass, trying to find a trumpet that would work (none of the solo trumpets had the sound I was looking for), so that was the rub.

Great info all around.

Thanks a million, Noel!
© PG Music Forums