PG Music Home
Posted By: Wyndham midi for user styles - 10/31/16 09:15 PM
In stylemaker instructions say a midi file can be used for a style.In the style editor each cell for each instrument has a 2bar note pattern. Does stylemaker parse each instrument(4 inst midi file) into 2bar segments for each cell for each beat pattern (8,4,2,1)or do I edit the midi file(s)and cut them up before hand then import them to each cell in the correct beat pattern. Or.. is there a better way to work with a midi style such as a template or ???
Just trying to go a bit further down the rabbit hole
Thanks Wyndham
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: midi for user styles - 11/01/16 09:48 AM
I make styles by importing snippets of MIDI files that I create myself.

I find that if I put everything in 3 or 4 beat measures, they import better.

So if I am doing something that I think is going to be 2/4, I'll create the MIDI file in 4/4 so that each bar of 4/4 time equals two bars of 2/4. That way when I import it into BiaB's StyleMaker, each 4 beat cell becomes two 2/4 bars of music.

Different but similar tricks are used for different time signatures.

Mostly it's figuring out how to get around the architecture of BiaB that was created and backwards compatible to the versions written in pre-windows MS-DOS.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Wyndham Re: midi for user styles - 11/01/16 04:51 PM
Thanks, that gives me a better window into how to use stylemaker.A lot for me to absorb, but 100 yrs from now I'll have all the answers smile
Wyndham
Posted By: Wyndham Re: midi for user styles - 11/02/16 10:07 AM
A question on the cells for each midi snippet. Say the guitar part has 6 pattern cells weighted at "5", does the program (while playing) go sequentially from first to last cell or something else.
Thanks Wyndham

BTW for those interested, I'm planning to use the new Real Guitar ver 4 that can make midi files to make guitar snippets for a guitar style. we'll see how that goes.
Posted By: jford Re: midi for user styles - 11/02/16 01:40 PM
Quote:
Say the guitar part has 6 pattern cells weighted at "5", does the program (while playing) go sequentially from first to last cell or something else.

PGMusic would have to answer about the internal workings of style processing; I was under the impression that it was random, but could be wrong. The user manual doesn't actually say. But what gets played can also depend upon any bar mask settings.

Quote:

Relative Weight (Usual Setting = 5)
Relative Weight is the number that you assign to the pattern from 1-9. Numbers from 1-8 indicate how often you want the pattern to be played in relation to the other patterns on the same row. A weight of 9 is a special setting that ensures that the pattern will ALWAYS be played. Patterns assigned a weight of 9 usually have other options set which instruct the pattern to only be played at certain times (bar after a drum fill for example).

Playback Bar Mask (Usual Setting = 0)
Playback Bar Mask determines on what bars of the song the pattern will play. The bar #s are counted relative to the last part marker. Bar 1 is the first bar after a part marker for example. A bar mask setting of 0 is the default. This lets the pattern be played at any time.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: midi for user styles - 11/05/16 05:17 PM
"BTW for those interested, I'm planning to use the new Real Guitar ver 4 that can make midi files to make guitar snippets for a guitar style. we'll see how that goes."

Yes, to get chords into RealGuitar go to the Big Lyric window and Print-Copy to clipboard. A quicker way is in BB in Prefs - Chord Output - Enable, now save as midi, open in RealBand load RealGuitar into the BB Output track, set RG to Pattern-Chord and down the bottom "Track" you may have to Edit - Midi - Pitch Transpose by 12 to shift the midi chords to RG Keyboard range (make sure the lowest note in the midi is in range of the white keys.
Now on a new midi track, set RB to Snap, load the same RGvsti and drag your patterns form RG pattern browser into the new track, you can drag patterns with a lot of bars out of RB into C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicLab\RealRick 4\Loops\User or Pattern folder (just highlight any number of bars).

Create new patterns, RG will only play chord notes, so any midi you have that you want to make into a pattern just move the notes down to the same note range on the keyboard as the patterns see pic below, then move the individual note to the strings.
If you want to create patterns with chord and scale notes you can use RapidComposerLE it will fit any midi to your chords and scale, it will also import BB Chord Output and work as a slave to Biab and midi out of RapidComposer can be sent to RealGuitar.

You can also set RG to output midi so you can load another virtual instrument like Kontakt after it to get any guitar sound you like from the Acoustic RealGuitar.
You will have to use MiniHost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=368498#Post368498

RealRick Stroke Map
Note # Note name Stroke name
22 A#-1 "Slow Upstrum"
21 A -1 "Slow Downstrum"
20 G#-1 "Muted Upstrum"
19 G -1 "Muted Downstrum"
18 F#-1 "Full Upstrum"
17 F -1 "Full Downstrum"
16 E -1 "Full Downstrum 1 semi-tone lower"
15 D#-1 "Full Downstrum 2 semi-tones lower"
14 D -1 "Full Downstrum 3 semi-tones lower"
13 C#-1 "1st string"
12 C -1 "2nd string"
11 B -2 "3rd string"
10 A#-2 "4th string"
09 A -2 "Bass I"
08 G#-2 "Bass II"
07 G -2 "Muted Top Upstrum"
06 F#-2 "Muted Top Downstrum"
05 F -2 "Top Upstrum"
04 E -2 "Top Downstrum"
03 D#-2 "Top Downstrum 1 semi-tone lower"
02 D -2 "Top Downstrum 2 semi-tones lower"
01 C#-2 "Top Downstrum 3 semi-tones lower"
Top strum - strum on the 3-4 higher strings (Bass strings omitted)

Attached picture RG_Pattern.jpg
Attached picture RG_BB_Chords.jpg
Posted By: Wyndham Re: midi for user styles - 11/05/16 06:41 PM
Thanks that helps a bunch
Wyndham
Posted By: Pipeline Re: midi for user styles - 11/05/16 06:57 PM
You can create usertracks with RealGuitar by saving the usertracks templates to midi in BB then in RealBand render the track to mono audio, save as sgu selecting the audio track.

Also some BB Output Chords you need to delete the top note if RealGuitar picks up the wrong chord. I think if it had more than 4 notes ??
Posted By: Pipeline Re: midi for user styles - 11/07/16 10:42 PM
Just got a special here https://www.groove3.com/MusicLab-tutorials/RealGuitar-Explained
half price at the moment $12.50 455meg a lot of video.
© PG Music Forums