PG Music Home
Take a look at another blast from the past with this archived video regarding a Windows 95 MIDI Setup for Band-in-a-Box®!

Interested in looking at a list of the Band-in-a-Box® 7 New Features? These can be viewed here.

Did you have Band-in-a-Box 7? Share your experience with this older version... if you can remember it!
This is a great look back. Yes, I predate this version by several years and remember when all these great features were introduced. You can see the creativity in changing the MIDI functions of BIAB, because that's all we had then.

Several of these features are ones I still use every time now, like Unfold, or F5 at any measure to change patches or styles. It's harder to remember when we did not have them.

One fix I remember was based on my bug report, that you could not start playback inside a Tag. Instead, the program would use the offset number of measures in the Tag and play from that offset at the beginning.
IRQ wow that brings back memories.

One of my fondest memories was BIAB on a single 3.5 diskette. I carried that disk everywhere with me so I could play music on any computer (including work).

Noticed throughout the video the "hour-glass" LOL.

DE
This one predates me (but just a little); I didn't discover BIAB until the next version (version 8). I bought the Pro Pak (the basic version), but as soon as version 9 came out, I upgraded to the Mega Pak (which was the top Pak back then).
WOW (now I really feel old)

Like Matt, and many here, I pre-date that version of BIAB. Never had the ORIGINAL version since I didn't have an Amega, I think it was(?), but "got on board" with version 2 for DOS in Oct '90. Cost me: $59 for BIAB /w Fakebook for $29 more.

Probably can't find anything as visual as your V7 Win 95 movie but be GREAT if you could dig through archives and come up with a Win 3.1, or better yet DOS, set of screen shots of BIAB running.

Surely "Doc" has pictures,somewhere, of his youngster? grin
Interesting to look back. I started with Atari, although I don't think there were any videos available at that time. It's come a long way, that's for sure.

Attached picture Original35disks034.jpg
Videotrack: thanks for that screenshot.

My first BIAB was DOS.
Win 3.1 came on 24 diskettes, it there was "1" error during installation, you had to start all over again. !!!!

I had a big storage box full of 3.5 disks, why I got rid of them, I regret to this day.

As they say "thanks for the memories".

DE
Do you have a floppy disk reader still?

That's when I threw away hundreds of BiaB/PT/Roland Sample disks; when I realized I probably wasn't going to have a floppy disk drive anymore.
I actually have a couple floppy drives (the hardware) stored away, but I'm guessing those disks would have all been toast by now. I know some started failing years ago.

Back on subject:
The 'skin' idea was also tested in this version .. and really didn't catch on.

Installable color schemes
Are you tired of the white and blue look of Band-in
-a-Box? "Jazz up the screen" by choosing from several
color sets using the 256 color palette in Windows.
Choose from pre-made color schemes like "Wood
tones" or "Easy on the eyes," or make your own!

/OK, 256 is a bit simple but the concept was there. What happened?
© PG Music Forums