PG Music Home
Posted By: PeterGannon 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and discussion - 12/01/16 02:04 PM
This thread is a continuation of a long previous thread from 2014.

You can view that one here.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273194#Post273194

In this thread, please post on-topic comments relevant to 32/64 bit and band-in-a-box.

For people wanting an "executive summary" of the issue, it is this

Band-in-a-Box for Windows is a 32 bit application. It runs fine on all Windows O/S's including 64 bit and 32 OS's Windows XP/7/8/10.

Band-in-a-Box for Windows works with VST plugins:
- for 32 bit plugins, it works seemlessly (choose and use)
- for 64 bit plugins, it works seemlessly, but only after you install jbridge (sold separately, which costs $10). Once you install jbridge, you just choose-and-use a 64 or 32 bit plugin and it works fine. One nice thing is that your 64 bit plugin can be using huge sample libraries (e.g. 8GB ), as this is not affected by what host it is hooked up to.

So if you buy Band-in-a-Box, you should expect that:
- it runs on all versions of Windows (listed above)
- if you want to use 64 bit plugins seemelessly, you should buy jbridge from us (special price of $10).

Posted By: Pipeline Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 06:31 PM
I think maybe the 64 it a bit too big to take on ?
Though this subject band in a box GUI just got modernized with a Classic or New theme option, very good !! it got over 40,000 views same as Not Buying Another Upgrade Until BIAB is 64 Bit so there may still be hope yet with equal interest ?? .
But I'm looking forward to the ReWire feature that will be added very soon, this will enable Biab to be Master and your DAW be the slave (not sure if Biab would slave as it don't play instantly), so when you play/stop/pause/loop Biab your DAW will follow allowing you to generate up tracks in real time to fit your DAW recorded session or add more solos/fills to a existing Biab DAW project.

I hope there is a VST version that has been talked about in the works:

Being able to have MultiRiffs is a possibility in Biab, will be great with ReWire:
Biab MultiRiffs an Easier Way

Same 7 tracks to choose from as RealBand:

Posted By: DrDan Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
But I'm looking forward to the ReWire feature that will be added very soon, this will enable Biab to be Master and your DAW be the slave

Doesn't this below in the wishlist forum? grin
Or do you know something we don't know?
Posted By: colly Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 06:51 PM
I think he knows a lot more than things than we do L.O.L.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 07:11 PM
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377577#Post377577
Posted By: DrDan Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 07:27 PM
Oh my, I missed that! That is promising indeed.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 08:40 PM
Yes, reWire is high on our todo list for 2017, and Pipeline has been a great help in that regard.

With the speed of advancement in music technology these days, I am finding more and more of "I don't know what I don't know" ... and Pipeline's explanations (including exceptional graphics) are very helpful in clarifying these issues for me and many others on this forum.
Thanks Pipeline!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/01/16 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Yes, reWire is high on our todo list for 2017, and Pipeline has been a great help in that regard.

With the speed of advancement in music technology these days, I am finding more and more of "I don't know what I don't know" ... and Pipeline's explanations (including exceptional graphics) are very helpful in clarifying these issues for me and many others on this forum.
Thanks Pipeline!

+1
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/07/16 03:46 PM
Well Cubase 9 is 64 bit only, so that rules out a 32 bit VST in Cubase, unless PG expect us all to run Jbridge there too.
I have just spent a lot of money on upgrading my software and BIAB was not part of it, I doubt if I shall change my mind. I get that the real tracks are worth it, but the program needs a rethink and bottom up redesign, and it's not getting it -for years.

I have concluded I waste my breath asking, suggesting.

Z
Posted By: pax-eterna Re: 32bit/ 64 bit Fighting and Questions - 12/07/16 03:57 PM
While it is true that a 32 bit application using a bridging app can access 64 bit plugins and these can have large "streaming" libraries using samples from the hard drive, when using plugins that use RAM (ie modelling VSTs for example) you are STILL restricted the the max RAM of 4 gig by the 32 bit OS.

Now usually this is no great issue, unless you start stacking several plugs. Then the limitations of a 32 bit app and OS start to be noticed.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:14 PM
))) you are STILL restricted the the max RAM of 4 gig by the 32 bit OS.

No, the 64 bit plugin is not restricted to 4GB. It could use 16GB or whatever you feed it. It doesn't even know it's hooked up to a 32 GB host.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:23 PM
Thanks for the added information, Peter. I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense, though, when I think about it.
Posted By: pax-eterna Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:28 PM
))) you are STILL restricted the the max RAM of 4 gig by the 32 bit OS.

No, the 64 bit plugin is not restricted to 4GB. It could use 16GB or whatever you feed it. It doesn't even know it's hooked up to a 32 GB host.

Cool. I understood it to be not that way, but I am happy to be corrected on it.

Cheers

EDIT: now if only I could get as quick a response on the faulty RT I re-noted in my other thread wink
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:30 PM
000: ))) I have concluded I waste my breath asking, suggesting.

A number of the features that you asked for have been implemented in 2017 these include VST tempo support, redesigned main screen GUI, and improved GUI layer support.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:46 PM
Peter, I think it's great that you are now defending what you're doing on the forum. It's totally fair and appropriate.

The term "fake news" has been flying around lately and the internet is nothing if not filled with fake news on all topics including tech stuff like the 4 gig memory limitation thing when using jbridge.

It's much better to have people hear it directly from you than from us users.

Bob
Posted By: pax-eterna Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:57 PM
000: ))) I have concluded I waste my breath asking, suggesting.

A number of the features that you asked for have been implemented in 2017 these include VST tempo support, redesigned main screen GUI (and yes we even did a 'rethink' as you requested), and improved GUI layer support (font sizes were a specific request of yours as I recall). It's surprising that you don't acknowledge any of that and sum it up as you've been "wasting your breath".

erm, where was that said? and TBH, personally, I did not ask for any of that stuff. I am more of a "nuts and bolts" sorta guy. I'd rather have a rock solid everything works as it should app ,than one with a plethora of bells and whistles.

As I wrote, I was happy to be corrected. It was a misapprehension I have had for some time.

I have already posted one thread about improvements I have noticed and applauded.

PS: Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but well, I'm just sayin' is all!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 04:58 PM
Good point, and timely observation, Bob.

I'm hardly a fanboy of anything; I call it like I see it but love to have someone explain why I didn't know I was wrong. Then I say I was wrong. The 64-bit thing is an example. Once I learned a year ago that BIAB as-is can use JBridge not only to access my 64-bit plugins but also break the 4 GB RAM OS restriction (I still find that remarkable), my support for 64-or-bust went away.

As for the changes in version 2017, the GUI is so different yet still giving us familiarity that I can't imagine anyone not finding version 2017 to be a major innovative release of great value, never mind the new sounds and styles. PG Music implemented several of my suggestions (he said modestly) so who wouldn't be happy for that? More proof the system works.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 05:02 PM
Pax, the last comment by Dr. Gannon - seems clear to me it wasn't directed at you.
Posted By: pax-eterna Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/07/16 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pax, the last comment by Dr. Gannon - seems clear to me it wasn't directed at you.

coolio thx Matt smile
Posted By: Edward Buckley Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/08/16 02:13 PM
Pipeline, like Peter said, your posts and gifs are very informative, if you ever decide to do some BIAB instructional videos, I'd be your 1st customer!!!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/08/16 02:15 PM
Ed, yes, Pipeline is a terrific addition to the BIAB community. And he has this nifty utility to make those short videos.
Posted By: Pumps2 Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/09/16 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I think maybe the 64 it a bit too big to take on ?

Maybe so. Can we compromise on 48 bits? smile
Posted By: MJames Re: 32bit/ 64 bit FAQ and Questions - 12/20/16 11:05 AM
I find this page ironic. http://www.syntheway.com/jBridge.htm

Quote:
"jBridge is an application designed for bridging VST plug-ins. Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit hosts,"
© PG Music Forums