PG Music Home
Posted By: Jon Thomas chord replacement rules - 12/07/16 06:01 PM
Hi guys
I was working on a usertrack, and I noticed something that I would like to ask about, as I think it's a more general question that goes beyond usertracks.

Now, in my usertrack I have recorded all the m6 chords. Cm6 or Fm6, for example, for all keys.
However, I did not record m7b5 chords (not yet).
So, when I play back a m7b5 chord with my usertrack, BIAB seems to replace it with a m7 chord.
For example, I type Dm7b5 and BIAB will play back Dm7 (because the program cannot find an actual Dm75b in my usertracks recordings).

However, BIAB could actually play an Fm6, which is exactly the same as Dm7b5 (exactly the same notes) - and, as I said, Fm6 is actually present in my usetrack recordings (in fact, it is played back normally when I actually input "Fm6").

So the question is ... why not? Why play back Dm7 and not Fm6 when the input is Dm75b, since Fm6 is available?

Of course i understand that the root is different. So, for the bass track, it makes sense to play a D and not an F. That's absolutely fine. But for piano, guitar etc., it would make much more "musical sense" to play Fm6 rather than Dm7, especially if the bass is playing D.

The more general question is: what are the "substitution" rules for "missing" chords? Do we know them? Is there a way to control how BIAB behaves in such circumstances? (I looked in the manual, briefly, I admit, and I didn't find anything about it).

This is particularly relevant for creating usertracks, but also for having a better understanding of how BIAB works with regular tracks.

Thanks a lot

J.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: chord replacement rules - 12/07/16 06:17 PM
Not for user tracks, but my experience when a RealTrack doesn't know a chord type, it rests during playback. I've reported a few like that which were immediately fixed by the next patch.
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: chord replacement rules - 12/07/16 06:36 PM
Are you sure Matt? I really thought that BIAB used some sort of replacement when the chord is not present in the Real Track recordings. It happens for sure for usertracks, so I thought the same would be true for midi tracks and realtracks. I could be wrong of course.
Anyway, my question still applies for usertracks, as it is clear that BIAB seem to try to playback a "similar" chord when the typed chord is not found in the UT recordings. It would be nice to know what the rules are.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: chord replacement rules - 12/07/16 07:56 PM
Yes, this did happen to me but as I say, it was an error it did that. You are correct, it would be interesting to learn more.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: chord replacement rules - 12/07/16 08:11 PM
)) So the question is ... why not? Why play back Dm7 and not Fm6 when the input is Dm75b, since Fm6 is available?

A good point. In general, that would be a good idea, but only for certain instruments (not bass as you say).

One trick that we do recommend is to duplicate the wav and sgu file. And on the second one, you can type in chord variations. Such as replacing fm6 with dm7b5 or any other subs you want to do.
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: chord replacement rules - 12/08/16 08:08 AM
Thank you dr. Gannon, excellent suggestion!
© PG Music Forums