PG Music Home
Posted By: Franco1964 How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 06:36 AM
Hi,

a quick question: there is a command to find out which notes are in a chord inserted in BiAB?

For example: in Cmaj7 there are C, E, G, B. How can I see these four notes?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Although it will pass quickly, you can see the notes light up on the piano keyboard of the mixer while the song plays. A better way is to press Shift+Enter to sound the chord at the current position. You can also go into the Notation Mode and click on P ( for piano) to see what is being played by the piano after the song has regenerated.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 09:57 AM
Hi Matt

Works with midi backings

jazzman
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 11:21 AM
Hi Brian. Or if the RealTrack has notation, which I think all do now.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 12:23 PM
Hi Matt

Yes you are right it will work with both - I happened to try it on a couple of songs without this facility

I have never looked at this area before - just took the chord structure for granted

jazzman
Posted By: jford Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 01:59 PM
But understand that you won't necessarily see all the notes of the chord, because they might be split between the different instruments. The styles aren't such that every instrument plays every note of every chord; however they do play notes within the chord (except for when they jazz it up). Looking at a track might give you C E G B for Cmaj7; however, depending on the track you are looking at, you may only see E G B (because the C is on the bass track), or maybe just E and B, or maybe all the notes. It depends on the style.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 02:00 PM
It has evolved, Brian. A RealTrack with an underscore has RealNotation. About a year or so ago, PG Music finished up all the piano parts to add that to those lacking it. It's a good resource.

John, very good point. The piano is most likely of the instruments to have notation, and also show most of the chord. But you may be missing the root as you say, and often other notes like the 5th if this is a complex chord.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/08/16 02:04 PM
Franco, let us know if this is helping or confusing you.
Posted By: Franco1964 Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/09/16 07:07 AM
Hi and thank you for your anwers (and sorry for my poor English),

I think the methods you described here are all workarounds. There are not a shortcut to see the notes that form a chord displayed with a single click on the chord itself?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/09/16 07:27 AM
That's why I love RapidComposer you can see the chord and scale notes, and it will also load as a vst and you can drag the midi/RealChart straight in.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377342

Posted By: Pipeline Re: How to know notes on a chord - 12/09/16 08:00 AM
Actually the Guitar RealCharts are multichannel, ch 11-16 strings 1-6 so you need to re channel them first to drag into RC.

Open in new Tab full screen

Open in new Tab full screen
So we can convert it to relative form,
color and snap it by greens chord notes blue scale notes red out or passing notes

Attached File
BB_RC_VST_Drag_Midi2.gif  (593 downloads)
Attached File
BB_RC_VST_Drag_Midi3.gif  (454 downloads)
© PG Music Forums