PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/22/16 04:03 PM
Can someone explain to a non-music-reader (one of the reasons I bought BB in the first place) what Natural Arrangements feature is please.
If I write up an sgu with my chords, is BB going to change them because they may not confirm musically?
Baffled!
Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/22/16 04:34 PM
Ian,

If you have a look at the 'New Features - 2017' pdf on page 29, it gives a really good, detailed explanation of this feature.

This pdf is found in the \bb directory and is called...

• Band-in-a-Box 2017 Upgrade Manual.pdf

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/22/16 05:28 PM
Thanks Noel - I understand now.
Ian
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/22/16 05:50 PM
Ian, this is what Peter Gannon said when he was asked this a few weeks ago:

The idea is that the same thing would happen if you handed a real musician that lead sheet. If you were playing with Herbie Hancock as your live piano player, you wouldn't be surprised when "lots of 9ths & 13ths suddenly appear" in Herbie's playing, that's considered normal (or natural as we call it).

Similarly, if you gave Herbie this leadsheet...

(#1) | Gm7 Gm9 | C13 c7b9 | FMaj13 F6 | F69 |
.... he's likely going to look at it, and think "

(#2) | Gm7 | C7 | FMaj7 | |

... that's what the natural arrangement feature does. So you hear nice phrasing and smooth voice leading when the player is freed up to play something natural like the simple II-V 1 (#2)

If you told Herbie "no, you must play the chords exactly as written in #1" - he'd do it, but it's likely that what he played wouldn't sound as good as if you let him play #2 (because then he could think of good phrases to play. This is what Band-in-a-Box 2017 does. (of course you can configure this option to be on/off for songs/tracks/globally etc. It defaults to ON for Jazz styles. You can turn it off in Prefs-Arrangments globally, or for the song only in Song-Settings.
It works for RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/22/16 06:39 PM
Wow. Is that cool or WHAT????? cool
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Natural arrangements - what is it? - 12/30/16 03:45 PM
>>Wow. Is that cool or WHAT?????

Thanks!
© PG Music Forums