PG Music Home
Posted By: sabino Music 2 seconds behind chord map (resolved) - 12/31/16 12:30 PM
Sorry if this is obvious, but I have been searching the forum without success.

I've just upgraded to 2017 and have had BIAB since 2007.
I use it to play backing tracks to practice against.
The music/sound is running about 2 seconds behind the chord map. Does anyone know what is going on.

Thanks
Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 12:38 PM
It sounds like the exact amount of time for the default MME buffer size (for onboard sound cards).
Did your Drivers change?

Many sound cards default to 2000 ms of buffer which is 2 seconds. Not sure why the chords window wouldn't buffer also and line up. Sounds strange, but thought that coincidence in time lapse may be a clue..
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 12:56 PM
rharv

The chord window is 2 seconds ahead of the music playback.
I'll see if I can play around with soundcard settings/drivers. I definitely didn't deliberately/knowingly change anything like that.

Thanks
Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 01:13 PM
I get that the chords window is behind .. meaning maybe they aren't honoring the (default) 2 second audio buffer. That's what made me think of it.
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 01:35 PM
Is there a way of setting them to the 2 second buffer. The count in metronome appears to work just fine
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 01:58 PM
In Audio settings I set "Offset in Ms" to 2000 in addition to the Audio Latency at 2000.
For the moment is seems OK.
Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 02:19 PM
PGMusic products have a few quirks. One, I believe, is the metronome uses the default Windows MIDI synth regardless of the driver selected in the application. At least that's how I remember it. So sometimes you do have to tweak things a bit. Sounds like you've found joy.
Congrats.
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 02:43 PM
And thanks for helping out.
Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 02:54 PM
I fired a shot in the dark .. you guided it and did all the work!
We users appreciate it when people let us know the fix, so next time we have reference.
Now go have fun.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 03:12 PM
I could see this as a feature. For someone sight-reading and practicing along with BIAB, a slight delay would help the brain read and recognize the chords a bit before hearing/playing.
Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 03:57 PM
You got it backwards (I think, if my previous post is in fact correct).
Quote:
rharv: I get that the chords window is behind .. meaning maybe they aren't honoring the (default) 2 second audio buffer. That's what made me think of it.

Apparently the chords were actually running behind the sound. I get the 'read ahead' concept, but 'read behind' would be much more challenging.

/I swear I clicked Reply on Matt's post, but the head makes it look like I replied to Sabino .. this isn't the first time this has happened ..

Attached picture ReplyWeirdness.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 04:19 PM
Bob, I took it as the first post described it.

And I think Quick Reply puts the recent sender there, whereas Reply shows the OP.

Posted By: rharv Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 12/31/16 04:33 PM
Regarding Quick Reply; I'm pretty sure I clicked Reply to your post intentionally, since I was sidetracking a bit. just sayin'
We'll see if it works this time. <grin> Pilot error is possible.

FWIW, his OP does say the chords are 2 seconds behind the music. First time I read it I missed that, but second time it turned on a light bulb, though dim.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 01/01/17 11:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I could see this as a feature. For someone sight-reading and practicing along with BIAB, a slight delay would help the brain read and recognize the chords a bit before hearing/playing.

Isn't that supposed to happen in the brain? What I mean, and I don't consider myself a sight reader, but years ago I took piano lessons and my teacher would emphasize the need to "read ahead" while playing. Scan the music, figure it out and play it accurately in the proper time.

I have also assisted some players who do sight read (only) and they would say "OK" when they needed the page turned....and they always asked for the turn several measures ahead of where the music was actually being played.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 01/01/17 01:01 PM
Sure. BIAB 'turns the page' early by default, too. It's perfect: you still see the music at the bottom where a screen page runs out, but also two measures past that up top.

After all these years, I still try hard not to have to sight read. The Internet reduces the excuses for why I can't get a look in advance.

Bob - he must have edited his post by the time I saw it.
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 01/01/17 05:50 PM
No edit. Other than correct 200 ms to 2000.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 01/01/17 06:16 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: sabino Re: Music 2 seconds behind chord map - 01/23/17 05:27 PM
Support got back to me.

I took build 457 update. Reset to factory.
It seems fine now.
© PG Music Forums