PG Music Home
Posted By: thomasc Progress bar - 01/05/17 07:13 PM
Hi

The manual says that "The beginning of each chorus is marked with outlines".
Anybody seen these? It all looks the same to me, monitor issue?

Didn't the previous version have an indication of what chorus was playing, e.g. in the chorus box it said 2/3 (playing second chorus of three)?
It's quicker to read the actual chorus this way than trying to find the right box in this new progress bar.

cheers Thomas
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Progress bar - 01/05/17 07:35 PM
Thomas, try CTRL+T to bring up the older interface, and get to know the Progress Bar there. Then the new interface one, though small, should make more sense.
Posted By: thomasc Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 01:19 PM
Thanks Matt

The ctrl+T changes the layout but according to the new design of 2017.

The old design had individual boxes for start/end/chorus information.
My point was that the old chorus box showed e.g. 2/3 when playing the second chorus of the three and is easier to read than interpreting the boxes in the progress bar, where you (or at least I) at the moment cannot distinguish start of a chorus from an A/B change.

I will post the issue the PG along with some other comments.

cheers Thomas
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 01:36 PM
I didn't mean to discourage you. Put your suggestion in the Wishlist.

From the time that 2017 entered beta testing, there have been many comments about all the GUI changes. It took me awhile to get used to it (now I'm glad I put in the work) but we understand that tweaking is still needed on some things. Color and size options have been mentioned. Absolutely, send along your suggestions and get support from others. PG Music doesn't consider this finished, either. They made all these changes because users said they wanted an overhaul to a 'modern' interface. I think they are on the right track.

Just to explore your thought about monitors, what is the size and resolution of yours? Mine is 23" and 1900+ by something...
Posted By: thomasc Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 03:08 PM
That's ok and thanks for the update.

I have the same monitor set up as you.

Can you see if there is some kind of highlight of the chorus start block as is stated in the documentation I referred to in the initial posting?
If not, I guess it has been lost somewhere along the development and that it will show up again when reminded.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: thomasc
Can you see if there is some kind of highlight of the chorus start block as is stated in the documentation I referred to in the initial posting?

Three chorus's with a dark blue marker for each.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 05:33 PM
Dan, of course that's the old interface with the new larger progress bar. It's harder to pick things out in the smaller progress bar of the new interface.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Dan, of course that's the old interface with the new larger progress bar. It's harder to pick things out in the smaller progress bar of the new interface.

What? That is the most current update? When I Ctrl T exactly the same but smaller. Right?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 06:17 PM
OK, I think I see the issue now, the colored bars in the line are actually "part markers" not the "chorus markers"

But when you set 2 chorus's the line shows the whole arrangement spread out in linear fashion.

I actually like it this way. What is the problem with this?
Posted By: rharv Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 06:26 PM
The OP noticed the the manual says "The beginning of each chorus is marked with outlines" ..

Along with him, I don't see it here, and to be honest, following that new progress bar is confusing my eye/brain .. but then I may be kind of 'linear' in my thinking; to me repeat means OK go back and do it again. The chord bars do, but the linear progress bar keeps going.

I assume this is intended behavior, except I don't see anything on the 'linear' bar where the repeat occurs to signify it. If I have multiple A or B part markers in the song it becomes more confusing, the linear line doesn't really show me when the repeat will occur.

I see a change is coming, but what shows me it is the chorus repeat?
I don't see the 'outlines' mentioned in his OP here ..

In your bottom image can you point to where the chorus repeats on the timeline (this 'outlined' bar)?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Progress bar - 01/08/17 06:37 PM
OK, I understand now. There is no chorus mark in the new progress line (just part markers) and it is indeed just linear, start to finish.

But it still works for me... at least for now. grin
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Progress bar - 01/09/17 10:45 AM
Right Rharv, that's the problem I'm having too. With multiple part markers, I'm not sure which chorus I'm on...very confusing!
Posted By: Sam Kanter Re: Progress bar - 01/11/17 06:48 PM
Wouldn't the progress bar make more sense with bar numbers???
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Progress bar - 01/20/17 03:51 PM
Has there been any change to the progress bar that addresses this in the newest update? It sure is confusing without any chorus indications, I just have to count blue and green part markers to find which chorus I'm on. Seem like a simple fix PG.

I'll post this over in the wishlist section, please add your +1 support.

Jeff
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Progress bar - 01/20/17 06:48 PM
No change since this feature first appeared.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Progress bar - 01/20/17 06:50 PM
I've put a suggestion in the wish-list for something that I hope would be considered an improvement.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Progress bar - 01/20/17 10:05 PM
If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to make the progress bar in the new interface larger, as it is in the 'older' interface, and put it anywhere.
© PG Music Forums