PG Music Home
Posted By: GordonS enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/21/17 07:43 AM
Hi, in BiaB 2017, have rhythm section as I want it, now I want to:

add a melody with the instrument of my choice?

Haven't been using BiaB for a while, have forgotten.

Can anyone guide me please?

Cheers
Gordon
Posted By: Noel96 Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/21/17 08:52 AM
Gordon,

Melodies are midi. To change the sound, simply right-click on the Melody track and select a new midi patch. See the graphic below.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture changing midi patch.JPG
Posted By: GordonS Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/21/17 06:04 PM
Thanks Noel, your help greatly appreciated.

Done - but there's a rhythmic glitch.

My rhythm is a shuffle (style _BTGSHUF.STY - Baritone Guitar Blues Shuffle).

Putting in a typical pattern (F F A# A C C D C, all 1/8 notes against an F chord), they don't quite align rhythmically. Is there a process where I can "swing" the input to be a better fit?

Gordon
Gordon, how are you entering the notes? That info is necessary for us to give detailed help.

If you use a mouse, the grid should keep the notes even. In fact, many complain they sound too even. There are several adjustments in BIAB we can go in to.

If you play the notes in, then you may need to quantize them.

Also the chosen style makes a difference in the notation. All BIAB styles are either swing (SW) or even (EV). This makes it quite possible for something like triplets to look odd on screen but in fact play correctly.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/21/17 06:49 PM
Gordon,

In addition to Matt's thoughts...

It could also be that Tick Offset is active. This is used by BIAB to humanise notation by moving entered notation slightly off the beat (since most people don't play exactly on every beat).

To deactivate this, see the attached image...

1. Enter Notation Mode.

2. Select "Opt".

3. Set the tick offset to zero and turn off the "Auto set tick offset".

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture tick offset.JPG
Posted By: GordonS Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/23/17 07:46 AM
Thanks to you both. I am in a swing style.

I entered the melody manually via the notation function.

When I followed Noel's directions re offset, all good. Thanks again.

Next question tho - I have entered 12 bars of the melody, & want to simply copy it into another 5 or 6 choruses (it's an underlying riff).

Is there a better way than "highlight, copy, paste" - I can only see 4 bars & the paste isn't intuitive (tried simply copying the bars in chord mode but doesn't seem to pick up the melody).

Your ideas gratefully received.
Gordon
Posted By: Noel96 Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/23/17 09:21 AM
Gordon,

It's good that the timing issue is solved.

For the copying, under "Edit| Copy special", "Copy ftom... to" will do the job.

Noel
Posted By: GordonS Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/28/17 03:08 AM
Thanks again Noel. Perfect. You know BiaB really well.

2 further questions (hope I'm not wearing out my welcome)

1. On rendering to audio, I'm not getting exactly what I notated (some notes stick). Any ideas?

2. Song form - I'd like to have an intro, chorus x 2 done via repeats, a bridge, then 2 more choruses (via repeat), then a tag. Am i trying to do something BiaB is not built for (I know I can do it via a very long one chorus song, trying to make it better).

Really appreciate the help
Gordon
Posted By: Noel96 Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/28/17 04:45 AM
Gordon,

I apologise in advance for being a nuisance.

In relation to the above two questions, would you mind copying what you've written here and pasting it in a new post?

It seems that the thread is moving noticeably away from the original topic. By attempting to keep threads reasonably close to the initial topic, it helps users identify posts that may be useful to solving a problem they are experiencing.

I'll definitely reply in the new thread you create. (I suspect others will, too.)

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: GordonS Re: enter melody with instrument of choice - 01/29/17 01:13 AM
Sure Noel, no problem, sorry for breaking protocol (not a frequent user).

I'll do 2 posts for the questions above.

Gordon
© PG Music Forums