PG Music Home
Posted By: rap429 BIAB very slow to load - 02/08/17 11:51 PM
having an issue with initial load of the program. I am running windows 10 on surface pro 3 and have BIAB installed on usb 3 ssd drive. All hardware checks fine and all other programs load with no issue, including real band ( even tried large like adobe premiere). Speeds are fine on all. BIAB takes about 60 seconds to load. Seems to be an issue I did not have with 2016. Any suggestions?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 01:13 AM
rap429

Can you check if the x:\bb folder is excluded from your Anti-virus software? That is one thing that can slow the load time down.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 02:30 AM
Welcome. I know it is small consolation, but after the first load, if you exit the program and reload, it will go much faster.

Videotrack is correct, excluding the /bb folder from the virus checker often helps.

Also you can try right-clicking on the BIAB icon and Run as Administrator to see it helps.

In the Help Menu, Utilities, Display Log Text File you will find exact numbers for how long BIAB takes to load, which may help.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 04:27 AM
The Log text file is a great idea and can provide valuable information.
Be aware that the time-stamp order is from most recent (at top) to oldest (at end of file).

Also, it's undesirable to have the file open while running BiaB. The program needs to write data periodically and having the file open elsewhere can lock-out file access.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 12:29 PM
Another thing to check is to make sure your SSD is plugged into a USB-3 port. Even of you have a USB-3 SSD, if you are plugged into a USB2 port, you will run at USB-2 speed.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 02:14 PM
And don't use a USB hub if it also has a USB 2 device on it. The whole hub will run no faster than the slowest device.
Posted By: rap429 Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 10:17 PM
Thanks all for your help. I've tried all of the suggestions but to no avail. I've submitted a support ticket and will let you know what I find out. Average load time seemed to be 60 and 85 seconds based on the log file.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: rap429
Thanks all for your help. I've tried all of the suggestions but to no avail. I've submitted a support ticket and will let you know what I find out. Average load time seemed to be 60 and 85 seconds based on the log file.

This has historically been resolved the majority of the time by white listing the biab.exe in you antivirus (as suggested above). Did you do that? It should cut that time in half.
Posted By: rap429 Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 11:23 PM
Tried without success.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/09/17 11:52 PM
Can you provide us with some statistics of the bootup time, e.g. the time to count plugins?
Posted By: rap429 Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/10/17 12:18 AM
- Bootup time in millseconds =77,305 [2/9/2017 10:16:32 PM]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =2,331. Plugins counted=21 [2/9/2017 10:16:21 PM]
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/10/17 03:46 AM
)) - Bootup time in millseconds =77,305

One thing, ignore the first boot after you boot up Windows. Your computer isn't truly yours during the first couple of minutes after a boot - owned by google, iTunes Dropbox, avg etc.

Having said that.... 77,305.... Yes, that is an absurdly long time. Hang tight, we are analyzing that specific issue, and should have a patch within a couple of weeks that speeds boot up time for all.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Your computer isn't truly yours during the first couple of minutes after a boot - owned by google, iTunes, Dropbox, avg etc.

Excellent way to put it Peter and very true. See my PC spec's in my sig. Last summer when it was a brand new virgin, before I did anything I installed Biab on it and it opened from a cold boot in 4 seconds! Now that everything is installed including all the stuff you just mentioned it's 25 seconds for the first time but only 6 seconds after closing and reopening Biab. 25 seconds for the first time isn't terrible but I look forward to the patch.

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 01:45 PM
I don't have a problem now, but I am looking forward to the patch. Faster would be even better.

I do have to wonder what the relationship between loading BIAB the first time and booting is. If you load BIAB while the computer is booting up, then yes, you are competing with all those processes mentioned by Peter. Doing that with ANY program is just inviting a waste of time. But if you wait until all the icons are drawn on the screen (often the last step of booting) and then load BIAB, why should it take longer than it does if you close and restart BIAB?
Posted By: rharv Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 01:52 PM
Matt,
I suspect temp storage is already created, ready and waiting, the external drive is 'awake' and doesn't need to be powered up, and has been recently verified/used, etc.

If I go to load a file from a drive I haven't used in a while, I sometimes get a pause as the drive gets woke back up.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 01:57 PM
Good ideas. If the temp storage is on disk, then I concur that's a factor. One of the things I do to alter the stock Windows is go into the Control Panel power settings and turn on the CPU and all USB devices to be on full all the time. Nevertheless I do experience a delay of a few seconds as a USB drive decides to get ready. But that's maybe three seconds, and not the much longer times BIAB takes to load the first time in comparison to subsequent loads. Still a puzzle.
Posted By: rap429 Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 03:41 PM
Out of curiosity I decided to completely uninstall BIAB from the external ssd and start over. I am now down 22,456 milliseconds to load. Very acceptable.

Not sure what changed but seemed to fix something for the time being.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB very slow to load - 02/12/17 03:56 PM
??

But good.

Keep tracking the results and report after awhile.
© PG Music Forums