PG Music Home
Posted By: René Lamonde Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 06:16 AM
Piano roll velocity editing in Biab

Trying to figure out if it´s possible to edit notes (midi-note-bars) in a faster way for the workflow. Mainly if it´s possible to grab several notes (for example a phrase, and move the whole phrase up or down for more or less velocity, in Biab.

/René
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 07:37 AM
Draw a selection over the notes/phrase,
hold the shift key and drag one of the velocities.

Attached picture BB_Piano_Roll_Group_Velocity.gif
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 08:26 AM
Thanks Pipeline! Learn something new every day.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 08:32 AM
Excellent tip. Another thank you.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 08:54 AM
Hi Pipeline

Good one!
thanks a lot.
Mike
Posted By: DEddy Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 10:50 AM
Plus that tip on right click, View Image and Ctrl mouse wheel helped a lot.

DE
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 06:15 PM
That editing tip is definitely worth adding to the Tips And Tricks section.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/09/17 06:31 PM
+1 on that! That's a great tip. Thanks Pipeline.

Jeff
laugh Thanks! Supergood!

/René
Posted By: Tobias Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/15/17 06:56 PM
Similar to "Lasso" in Reapers Piano Roll Editor.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/20/17 02:10 PM
Funny, to me that's not a tip or trick, lassoing the notes is regular usage. Just click on the Help button in the piano roll window, it's all there and there's a vid on this too.

The only problem here is when the midi is a drum track and you're trying to change the velocity of one note like the snare for example. That one note is buried by the other notes hitting at the same time.

What I do then is use the piano keys on the left. If the note I want to change is a Bb hit Bb on the piano key. That turns all the Bb's to red for the entire track then I'll scroll until I can find an isolated Bb midi note and use that to change the velocity for all of them. If I can't find one sometimes I can find one where the Bb is on top of the other hits and drag that one note just a bit to the side so I can work with it to change all the velocities and then move it back.

If that fails then simply create a new Bb note in an open area where you can see it, hit the Bb piano key again and use that new Bb to change all of them then delete it.

Bob
Posted By: Tobias Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/21/17 02:21 AM
When I lasso say, a measure or group of midi notes, then raise or lower one of the velocity stems/pipes below it adjusts all the lassoed note velocities except for the one I dragged the stem up/down on. I always have to go back and adjust that single one afterwards.
Anyone know what I'm missing?
RealBand 2016 (10)
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/21/17 04:06 AM
Not sure what's happening there, can you send a screen shot ?
So are you holding the Shift key ?

Attached picture RB_Midi_Notes_16-10.gif
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/21/17 08:11 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Funny, to me that's not a tip or trick, lassoing the notes is regular usage.

Lassoing the notes is normal for most, but not everyone may realize that adjusting velocity from all of the selected notes above is so readily possible.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/21/17 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Not sure what's happening there, can you send a screen shot ?
So are you holding the Shift key ?

No, I've only been holding the Ctrl key. I'll try shift and report back.
Not at workstation at the moment.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/21/17 10:00 PM
Oh, absolutely it's a valid question, I was just commenting about putting this in the Tips & Tricks forum. If something is in Help and there's a vid about it, then there's no need. I'm not one to jump on somebody to say RTFM! I don't do that either sometimes, I'll get frustrated and ask the question here.

Bob
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Piano roll velocity editing in Biab - 02/22/17 01:12 AM
Good on you Bob.

Yes, it would be great to be in Help, and have a Video, but that "Help" thing is another animal all together, eh? <a small groan is made at this point while typing> smile

And coming to the defense of the document writers, the Help System must be a very difficult animal to actually both tame and maintain.
© PG Music Forums