PG Music Home
Posted By: MountainSide Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/04/17 12:05 PM
The Lead Sheet displays the melody notes in red right? That works great, except when I get to the last 6-8 measures of the last chorus.

I have mine setup to scroll ahead 2 measures, so I can play lead along with the "band". But when I get to the last 8-10 measures, I can see the lead notes on the left hand side of the screen but not on the right hand side. As soon as the song moves on a few more measures I can see the lead notes on the left side of the screen again. It's only on the last few measures of the last chorus, the other choruses display fine.

I've play around with the settings for the lead sheet, reset BIAB to factory several times, shut down, restarted...nothing seems to work. I've duplicated this behavior on over a dozen songs.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Can you confirm?

Appreciate all the help from the folks here as I continue to focus on BIAB rather than RB this year.

Jeff
This problem seems to be only in BIAB, the lead sheet seems to work fine in RB. Can anyone confirm?

Jeff
Posted By: DrDan Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/05/17 09:26 PM
Hey Jeff, I thought you knew better then to try some of these fine nuance details in BIAB. grin

I tried to reproduce what you have said and I don't see the problem, but... I highly suspect that it is song dependent. Ya think? Have you tried other songs and does this always occur? So many ways to input the melody line that BIAB just may treat things different.

You want to send me the song and I can try again.

Dan
Hi Dan, thanks for the response. I've actually tried this on about 15 songs so far, The notation window works well it's only in the Lead Sheet window that I see this problem on all songs. I'll shoot you a couple of songs to try on your setup.

Thanks and appreciate the help.

Jeff
Have continued to work with this and have duplicated the problem on over 50 songs. Its more widespread than initially thought. There are also missing notes on other tracks in the Lead Sheet as well: piano, guitar etc. Issue has now been duplicated by another user (not Jazzman Dan) and PG support has been contacted. Will update when further info from PG is provided.

Jeff
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/07/17 01:08 PM
I'll give this a try. I play mostly by ear so I would not have noticed it at the end of a song.

Are you saying it occurs on all the songs you checked? Or on 50 out of a larger sample?
Do appreciate you popping in here Matt. I've noticed this on over 50 songs now, ones that have been downloaded from the net, ones that I have put together and ones directly from PG.

Just to eliminate anything that I or my system might be doing:

1. open the BB folder on your main drive
2. open the 50 Songs folder provided by PG Music
3. open Jays_BlS.MG1, open the Lead Sheet and watch measures 7(3), 8(3), 11(3) and 12(3)
4. another example in the same folder: open Midnitsp.mg7, open the Lead Sheet and watch measures 15(3), 19(3), 20(3), 23(3) and 24(3)
5. or try any other song you might see there
6. you don't even need to envoke the RealTrack recommendation, just regenerate and play the song as originally displayed

Something odd going on here. The notes don't drop out but they are not displayed and its always on the right side on the screen and always on the 3rd chorus.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/07/17 03:20 PM
Jeff, I couldn't reproduce.

I think it's possibly related to the graphics card or similar, not being able to display the notes in the given time. The notation view is busy rendering the next bars on the LHS of the screen at that time.

I'm seeing red notes on 7(3), 8(3), 11(3) and 12(3).

Try lowering the tempo to say 100, and see if the situation remains. That might be a good way to prove.

Incidentally, my display was set to 4 bars per screen, and I recorded the two at the right, these are the ones you are having problems with.

HTH

Trev

Attached picture RedNotes.gif
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/07/17 03:36 PM
Incidentally, Midnitsp.mg7 played OK as well.

I can understand the RHS possibly being a problem with GPU rendering, but I cannot explain why the 3rd (last) chorus.
Very interesting Trev, never much thought about graphic card processing power with a DAW.

I did take Midnitsp.Mg7 from the BIAB "50 songs" directory and slowed it down to 75 BPM, half the original speed...no change. Still not displaying notes in measures 15(3), 16(3), 19(3), 20(3) 23(3) and 24(3). Always the 3rd chorus, always on the right side of the screen....odd.

For a sight reader this is a bit of a problem.

Do appreciate you taking a look at this.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/07/17 03:51 PM
Jeff, have you got BiaB installed on another computer that you could compare with?
Yes, have a friend with an i7 and high end grahics card and audiophile version of BIAB, he's also seeing the same problem.

By the way, I disabled my grahic card and ran on the on-board i5 graphics...no difference...no change.

Jeff
This is a great thread, as Notation in BIAB is very importantt to me and iVe had MANY issues with it this past year!!
Just wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone following along. Got a hold of PG Music and talked with Will (a great guy by the way). He was not able to reproduce this issue. Following Will's suggestion, I've delete BIAB and RB and have done a complete reinstall. There has been no change.

Have found one other user who can reproduce the issue.

A couple of things that we have found out:

1. this only happens in the Lead Sheet
2. only happens on the 3rd or last chorus of the song
3. only happens on the last 5-7 measures before the 2 or 4 bar ending
4. always on the right hand side of the screen, never the left
5. changing the song tempo has no effect
6. the bar number of the bars that do not display can be changed depending on the number of staves you have displayed and the number of bars per staff you set in the Lead Sheet and Notation screens. The less the number of bars per line and the less the number of staves, the fewer the number of bars that will not indicate red notes
7. we have exclusively focused on the songs from PG music in the "50SONGS" folder of your main BIAB directory to avoid the introduction of anything that we may introduce in a song
8. we have not change the style from the style the song is originally supplied from PG Music in and have not added any additional RealTracks. In so doing, we are trying to avoid the introduction of issues that may cloud the problem.

Kind of lost on next steps here, but this seems to be an issue for sight readers.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/11/17 11:48 PM
Thanks for the detail Jeff. That always helps.

I have to admit that I am kind of lost with this too as I cannot reproduce.

When you say "this only happens on the Lead Sheet", do you mean the Notation View?

The Lead Sheet doesn't actively show the notation as the song is being played (at least not on my version)
That's a very interesting comment VideoTrack and perhaps a clue! On my install, and the other member's who can see this issue, we have active notation being shown in red notes on both the Notation view and the Lead Sheet view. No issues are being seen in the Notation view, only on the Lead Sheet view.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/12/17 07:39 PM
OK, Jeff, you are not alone. I can repeat the issue.

The notes don't show red in Fake Mode (although the outer lines of the stave do show read for the current bar, i.e. the E and the F line and the left and right bar dividers).

However, turning Fake Mode off gave me the 'Missing Red Notes' problem on Chorus 3 with Bars 7,8 and 11,12 (Jay's Blues).

Trev
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/12/17 07:44 PM
I grabbed the bit that doesn't work.

The 1st bar in the display is Bar 5 of 3rd Chorus.

As can be seen, bars 7,8 and 11,12 don't show red notes, although the bounding lines of the current bar show as blue.

It's an issue, and I'll report it.

Trev

Attached picture LeadSheetMissingRedNotes.gif
Great VideoTrack, that is exactly the problem we are seeing. Very relieved to hear that others can duplicate this.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/12/17 07:54 PM
It also depends on the number of bars being displayed.

I set the display to 6 bars per Line. On the last chorus, only the 1st 2 bars of each stave line show the notes.

The left 2 bars show red notes, but the right hand 4 bars don't display any.

In the display below, the first visible bar is Bar 1 of Chorus 3:

Attached picture LeadSheetMissingRedNotes6Bars.gif
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/12/17 08:00 PM
I just checked Jay's Blues with 2016 Build 437 (release 0).

No problems. All notes play through every bar of every chorus.
Wow, that is odd Trev, never thought about going back and looking at previous versions. This is such a weird problem: doesn't show notes on the right hand side of the screen and only on the 3rd chorus...makes no sense...if ever there was a case for a "ghost in the machine" this is it!

Would sure like to know the technical reasons for this happening when PG finds it.

Really appreciate you lending your technical expertise to this issue and reporting it to the developers.

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Is there a "bug" in the Lead Sheet ? - 03/13/17 07:29 AM
Yep, well Support know about it now, and this thread has been referenced.

I'm sure they'll be just as keen to investigate and resolve as you and the rest of the users are.

Watch this spot ! wink
After several program updates, sorry to report that this problem still exists. Makes it really hard for us sight readers.

VideoTrack - have you heard anything back from the support?

Jeff
Have talked with the folks at PG (Kent), they indicate this this is still on their list of "bugs" But it has not been addressed yet.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums