PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzband i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 10:29 AM
Hi

when i use a 2gb removable disk,i started my computer and then plugged in the disk and it found it and i was able to use it but when i shutdown the computer i could not restart with the removable disk in situ i had to shut down and remove it,
is this common practice with these removable disk in Vista,any ideas

is coyote unusable in vista or has it been updated to be ok,when i tried to use it, my computer went very perculier and had to take it off

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: jford Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 11:34 AM
Hi, Dave -

I've had similar problems. If any application has a hold of any files on that removable disk, it won't let you "remove" it via the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility.

That being said, be sure the drive isn't the "current" drive - in file explorer, click on the C: drive. Close any open explorer windows, because the smaller view you get in Vista when you mouse over it on the task bar "holds" onto it. Close any applications that may have used the files. Then try to safely remove the drive. Even then, that doesn't always work and you are forced to either yank it out (taking the chance of corruption) or just shutting down. But basically, you want to shut down anything that my have accessed that drive (and remember, that can also include any disk defraggers - I use DiskKeeper, which runs in the background; any anti-virus or anti-spyware that might be running in the background; etc).

I googled this not long ago myself and above are the answers I got. There may be something more definitive somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. I also experience this (although to a lesser degree) on my XP computer, as well.

I use Coyote Forte on my Vista machine (but it's Vista 32-bit) and don't have any problems. I can't answer for 64-bit.

Good luck.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 12:26 PM
I suspect that this might be fixed by turning the User Account Control (UAC) off. UAC is the notification you get every time you go to install something and then Vista asks for permission. To access UAC, go to Control Panel >> User Accounts. You need to follow the option "Turn User Account Control on or off". Turn it off and then see if things work. If not, simply turn UAC back on. As already mentioned, if you are running Vista 64 bit, that could also be a source of problems.
Posted By: WienSam Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 02:15 PM
John and Noel - I think you both have the wrong end of the stick (pardon the pun)

Dave, this is a common problem and I presume when you say a removable disk that you mean a USB stick? Otherwise a 2GB removable disk just isn't worth the hassle. Anyway, there is a way round this but it is rather complicated.

The answer is in the bootup of your system - I would guess you have USB prioritised before your internal hard drive in the boot order. This is not unusual. You can change this very simply when your turn your computer on and watch very carefully and quickly for the button that enables you to enter the boot menu (I think this is F10 but it may be F8 or even F2). You have to act fast or the system will go past this point before you realise it! Simply click it and go into the boot menu and change the order.

Of course the easier and less complicated way is to remember to disconnect everything peripheral before booting!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 08:47 PM
Good on you, Sam. That solution didn't occur to me!

In relation to Coyote Forte, though, I suspect it's due to either UAC or Vista 64. If you do a search of the knowledge base, here at PGMusic, chances are good that you'll find the answer.

Noel
Posted By: WienSam Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 10:22 PM
KISS!
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/02/09 11:04 PM
Quote:

I use Coyote Forte on my Vista machine (but it's Vista 32-bit) and don't have any problems. I can't answer for 64-bit.

Coyote Forte woks here on my 64 bit Vista.

Don S.
Posted By: Howard Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/09/09 01:25 PM
It works fine on my 64 bit Vista machine also, and after Peter told me to t6urn off UAC the external hard drives work fine.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: i need a couple of anwsers for Vista - 08/09/09 07:14 PM
By the way, unless Microsoft 'fixed' it, the UAC is very nice in Windows 7. You don't get the Security Warning every time you start your machine, the UAC is just off, and it stays silent. Very nice.

Gary
© PG Music Forums