PG Music Home
Posted By: Pipeline Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 04/24/17 12:40 AM
http://pphidden.wixsite.com/compifont
Complete font is 1GB.
You can use this with CoolSoft http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
Set it as your default midi device in BB/RB, un-check use VSTi/ Re-Route midi.
You can set CoolSoft to Windows default midi device with VistaMidi http://www.benryves.com/products/vistamidi
this way ASIO4All will not be hindered by Microsoft Wavetable Synth.

Attached picture BB-Coolsoft.jpg
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 04/24/17 05:53 AM
Thanks Pipeline,

I have used Coolsoft MidiSynth for about a year now with Timbers of Heaven but it is always good to have another quality soundfont.

George
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 04/24/17 07:34 AM
Hi Pipeline

Thanks for that cant have to many.
I too use the Timbers of heaven mostly with coolsoft when working with my Novatation impulse 61 controller keyboard .

And also if I want to go the Vst route instead I use the Yamaha XGlite VST and ins def and pat that I posted here a while back
This is mainly to ensure compliance when working with my Yamaha Clavinova
Thanks for the share appreciated.
Best regards
Mike
Posted By: jford Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 04/24/17 12:11 PM
Thanks, Pipeline. I'll have to give that soundfont a try.
Posted By: Lazy Bird Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 02/06/22 05:30 PM
Hello Pipeline,

I've been using Compifont as a default MIDI bank in Musescore for 3 years and I'm very happy with it.

So I discovered with pleasure your post indicating that Compifont could also be used as a default MIDI bank in Band-in-a-box.

Unfortunately, I have latency issues. Although I set the buffer to 0 in VirtualMIDISynth/Options, the notes still play a bit after they show up on the notation screen of Band-in-a-box, and the lag is very noticeable by ear on songs that play at the same time Realtracks and MIDI tracks!

Did you have the same problem? Do you have any idea what to do to solve it?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 02/06/22 09:38 PM
Try it in the VstSynthFont set as Default Synth in Biab.

Attached picture BB22-Compifont-VstSynthFont.png
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 02/07/22 08:03 PM
Pipeline:

Been using sound fonts for years now with Coolsoft. I use it mostly for TablEdit files. I just tried Compifont and I find it unsuitable for Bluegrass music. The banjo sounds like it is being played on a rubber band and when the open E string on a Acoustic guitar is picked, it sounds like a squeak not a E note on a guitar. The other strings sound normal.

I went back to my old standby that actually makes a banjo sound decent.

Don't feel bad, after trying out probably 50 sound fonts over the years, my old standby is about the only one that does make a banjo sound somewhat like a banjo. It's a hard sound to get right in midi.

8mbgm_plus13.sf2
Posted By: Lazy Bird Re: Compifont, Decent Sounfont to Try - 02/09/22 03:51 PM
Hello Pipeline,

Thanks a lot for the advice !

I selected VSTSynthFont as DefaultSynth and then mapped Compifont to each of the 16 MIDI channels, and it works well: I can switch instruments directly in the Mixer window and I haven't had any latency issues so far.

That's what I had been looking for for a while!
© PG Music Forums