PG Music Home
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Drag and drop - 04/26/17 06:56 PM
I'm a newbie BIAB user and the drag and drop feature isn't working . Anyone know why?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drag and drop - 04/26/17 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: paulsaunderspriem
I'm a newbie BIAB user and the drag and drop feature isn't working . Anyone know why?

What version? If it is the current version, I can pretty much assure you it is working. Having said that, I do appreciate for someone new it can be tricky.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Drag and drop - 04/26/17 07:59 PM
Not only what BiaB version but what DAW are you drag and dropping into?

Also is it all MIDI, RTs or both?
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 01:49 AM
Thanks mate , it's BIAB 2017 and I'm wanting to drag and drop a part into Mixcraft. I can't even drag the part to the desktop.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 01:52 AM
"Also is it all MIDI, RTs or both."

It's both . I've run the song through several times , I've written a load of songs , they're all on youtube under my name Paul Saunders-Priem and I'm wanting to use some of the BIAB parts in my songs.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 02:00 AM
I'm using the 2017 version Ultrapak.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 02:33 AM
I know it's a lot of prelim questions, but what build #? Help, About will show that.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 05:55 AM
I'm running version Version 2017 (459). I've just loaded BIAB up , then the song and everytime I click on the pedal steel button at the top a circle with a line through it appears . I think I'm following exactly what was demonstrated in the BIAB tutorial on drag and drop . Is there a target folder I'm supposed to drop it into ? It's the same whether I use an MGU file or SGU file.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 05:58 AM
A " Could not create wave file " message pops up as well as " Error creating mono wave"
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 06:03 AM
I've "reset to factory settings" and no change.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 07:30 AM
Paul,

Exit BIAB and to restart it, click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator". Does that make any difference?

Also... did you run the setup.exe on the USB drive and install the program?

Sorry for even more questions, but it's only way that we can get an understanding of your setup so that we can begin problem solving.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 09:45 AM
E

No running as administrator doesn't make any difference and I ran setup.exe from the files I downloaded. Why is this so awkward? It's a very basic thing to do surely ?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 10:10 AM
... and everytime I click on the pedal steel button at the top a circle with a line through it appears

Paul

OK, back to some real basics might be required.

Tell us what Style you are using.

Is this 'pedal steel button' you mention a "radio button item" with words 'pedal steel' alongside? Or does it look like a button (i.e. Yes/No/OK? type of button).

And does the circle with the line appear as soon as you click this button, or when you try to drag it to somewhere? There is a difference. Please try to give all the detail you can of your actions.

Has this worked before? If so, what has changed? Anything?
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 10:30 AM

And does the circle with the line appear as soon as you click this button, or when you try to drag it to somewhere? There is a difference. Please try to give all the detail you can of your actions.

Has this worked before? If so, what has changed? Anything?

I'm using this style _CSWINGA.STY. Country Swing w/ Acoustic Guitar

It's a a "radio button item" with words 'pedal steel' alongside it

The circle with the line appears as soon as I click it. When I move it, it remain as a circle and line

This is the first time I've used the program and I've got it specifically to drop parts into my Mixcraft DAW so I can then further change them. I'm sick of writing my own parts from scratch !
Posted By: MarioD Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 10:39 AM
Maybe you should post the BiaB file so others can take a look at it.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 10:49 AM
Is this what you mean MarioD

CSWINGA.STY. Country Swing w/ Acoustic Guitar
All RealTracks. Quintet. Tempo=120 (105-140)
Instruments: El.Bass, Ac.Guitar, Ac.Guitar, PedalSteel, Drums
RD: NashvilleSwing8^5-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat :Brian Fullen
RT539: Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 120 , Byron House
RT528: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Hank Sw 120 , Jason Roller
RT372: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120 , Tony King
RT370: Pedal Steel, Background Hank Sw 120 , Steve Hinson
Memo: Country swing with acoustic guitars & pedal steel. One guitar plays a strumming pattern while the other plays a fingerpicking pattern. Includes electric bass & drums.
-Examples: Walking After Midnight
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 11:14 AM
Maybe what you are seeing is normal operation. You should be able to click/hold and drag it (with the circle and diagonal cross displayed) and drop it on the Drop Zone to produce a WMA, WAV, file etc.

Does it work if you do this:

Attached picture DragDropOperation.gif
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 11:59 AM
Nope , nothing and the Drop Zone doesn't highlight green or any colour either.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 12:05 PM
Just out of interest when I click on the DragandDrop folder option nothing happens . I can't find this folder with the path given. Is that the problem?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 02:25 PM
Just out of interest when I click on the DragandDrop folder option nothing happens . I can't find this folder with the path given. Is that the problem?

This could be the problem.

Are you saying that if you if you do the following then nothing happens?

1. Right-click on the Drag/Drop zone (#1 on image below)

2. Select "Open DragDrop folder" (#2)

If you don't have the DragDrop folder off x:\bb (where x: is your installation drive), manually create it and see if that works.

Note: the program looks for \bb\DragDrop and not \bb\DragandDrop as you mention above.

Attached picture DragDrop folder.JPG
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 02:49 PM
Paul,

Have you tried rendering the file using the below approach?

1. Right-click on the track you want to save (#1 on IMAGE 1 below).

2. Select "Track Actions" (#2).

3. Select "Save track as WAV file" (#3).

4. When the 'Save As' window pops up, navigate to the folder you want to save the file in and save. (You can also change the file's save name to suit if you wish.)

If the above doesn't work, it potentially indicates that you might not have a VSTi soft synth set-up in your midi drivers.

To double-check this, follow the 1,2,3,4,5 shown on IMAGE 2 below.

1. Select "Options | Preferences" (#1, #2).

2. From the window that opens, select "MIDI Driver" (#3).

3. Select "Microsoft GS Wavetable synth" (#4).

4. As shown on the image, make sure that the two check boxes are selected (#5) and that the VSTi/DXi soft synth chosen is "Coyote WT" (#5).

Regards,
Noel

Description: IMAGE 1... alternative rendering approach
Attached picture manually render.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2... setting up a suitable softsynth for rendering to wav
Attached picture midi driver vsti.JPG
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 03:02 PM
You're solution has sorted it . It is now working now O Good Man and thankyou!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 03:09 PM
Which solution, Paul? (If you can be a little more specific, it will help others who might have a similar problem in the future.)

I'm glad you've got it working!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 03:16 PM
Ummm, I hate to say this lads but it's worked once and no more . Is this function reliable? It produces a wav file now but there is nothing in it !
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 03:37 PM
Paul,

The function works for me. I'm presently beta testing build #463.

Did you try the 'right-click on track' and then manually save the file as suggested above? (I prefer this method over DragDrop because it allows me to save the file in a specific folder.)

Which of my suggestions above allowed you to save the WAV file?

Also, can you do the following...

1. Load the file that you created and are trying to save WAVs from.

2. Switch to the standard mode (if you are in the full screen mode) - pressing CTRL+T will do this.

3. Press Print Screen to capture an image of your screen.

4. Paste the image into Paint and then save it as JPG.

5. Upload the image so that we can see it.

As a reference, what I'd like to be able to see is the same view as shown by my screen capture below (when your song file is loaded).

The below link will take you to a post that explains how to upload an image.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386690#Post386690

Lastly, I notice that you mention that you have build #459. It's worth downloading build 462 from the below link and installing it. This might solve the problem.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Attached picture screen capture.jpg
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 04:39 PM
I added a folder DragDrop and it worked once but hasn't worked again.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 04:54 PM
Thanks for the help lads but I'm sending BIAB back . I've written loads of songs, over a hundred over the last three years (see below) writing in the midi parts and using the odd sample and I'm too used to the very direct control of doing that as time consuming as it is . BIAB is a great program but not for me. Thanks again everyone.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-saunders-priem

https://www.youtube.com/user/paulpriem/videos
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 05:32 PM
All the best, Paul.

That's why PG Music offer the 30-day money back guarantee.... so that you can try the program out and see if it's suitable for you or not.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drag and drop - 04/27/17 07:35 PM
OK, There is a problem here. Did you guys actually play the files?

I tried the very same style and using the Drag Button, dragged and dropped a RT with midi out - worked fined just as expected.

But when I tried the same with .wav output, it saved the 33 MB file but NO Sound when played! Plays fine in BIAB, but not when dragged to desktop via the drag button. Even when I just dragged from the Radio button to the desktop, no sound!

In my case the .wav file is there, just no sound. My 30 days is long gone and I have a better understanding and appreciation for the nuances of BIAB, but this would be concerning for a newbee.

Old .wav files present in my dragdrop folder play fine, but not anything from this current attempt.

I got the current version of BIAB 2017 v462
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 04:02 AM
Dan,

I tried it and it worked for me. I'm not sure what's happening. To be safe, I've reported this thread to Support so that they can test it out.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: balbuena Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 06:06 AM
Hello, excuse me for my English I am French and I use a translator.
For me the drag and drop works well what no longer works is the drag drop of a region for example: on a grid of 32 measurements, I select from measure 8 to measure 12, on a midi track not Of problem I have my 5 measurements on my daw or on the desk but for a real track it will make a drag drop from the measure 1 to 32 be the entire track this since the update build 458 here if someone could test for Confirm this bug thank you and good day to all.
Cordially.
Balbuena

Original message

Bonjours, excuser moi pour mon anglais je suis Français et j’utilise un traducteur.
Pour moi le glisser et déposez fonctionne bien ce qui ne fonctionne plus actuellement c’est le glisser déposez d’une région par exemple : sur une grille de 32 mesures, je sélectionne de la mesure 8 à la mesure 12, sur une piste midi pas de problème j’ai mes 5 mesures sur mon daw ou sur le bureau mais pour une real track il feras un glisser déposez de la mesure 1à 32 soit la piste entière cela depuis la mise à jour build 458 voilà si quelqu’un pouvais tester pour confirmer ce bug merci et bonne journée à toute et à tous.
Cordialement.
Balbuena
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dan,

I tried it and it worked for me. I'm not sure what's happening. To be safe, I've reported this thread to Support so that they can test it out.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for feedback. Actually dropdrag to the desktop is not my normal workflow. I generally drag straight into Reaper. So I was a bit surprized when the desktop workflow failed. But I will figure it out this weekend. I think I have seen this behavior before (maybe a RTFS or reboot). But I do sympathize with newbees who are just trying to develop their workflows.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: balbuena
Hello, excuse me for my English I am French and I use a translator.
For me the drag and drop works well what no longer works is the drag drop of a region for example: on a grid of 32 measurements, I select from measure 8 to measure 12, on a midi track not Of problem I have my 5 measurements on my daw or on the desk but for a real track it will make a drag drop from the measure 1 to 32 be the entire track this since the update build 458 here if someone could test for Confirm this bug thank you and good day to all.
Cordially.
Balbuena

Original message

Bonjours, excuser moi pour mon anglais je suis Français et j’utilise un traducteur.
Pour moi le glisser et déposez fonctionne bien ce qui ne fonctionne plus actuellement c’est le glisser déposez d’une région par exemple : sur une grille de 32 mesures, je sélectionne de la mesure 8 à la mesure 12, sur une piste midi pas de problème j’ai mes 5 mesures sur mon daw ou sur le bureau mais pour une real track il feras un glisser déposez de la mesure 1à 32 soit la piste entière cela depuis la mise à jour build 458 voilà si quelqu’un pouvais tester pour confirmer ce bug merci et bonne journée à toute et à tous.
Cordialement.
Balbuena

Best to start a new thread [dragdrop 2] to avoid confusion and get you the quickest response. I think this tread has a few more entries before it done.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 04:13 PM
Paul, I asked about the build number, and you are four builds behind. Build 463 was just released. Give that a try.
Posted By: SuhaimiS Re: Drag and drop - 04/28/17 10:42 PM
Hi,

I can't use drag and drop features too.

I own Band-in-a-Box® Pro with RealBand 2017 on Windows 10. I've upgraded to Windows Build 463.

Attached is a screenshot of error message while trying to drag and drop between BIAB and RealBand:

I can't drag and drop to file explorer too. I got the same error message.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Drag and drop - 04/29/17 08:57 AM
I'm back and after 20 minutes of messin with it, I can tell you the Drag and Drop works fine.

But that is 20 minutes i will never get back. I first rebooted the PC. No joy still no sound on the dragged and dropped wav files. I opened them in Reaper and dispite the fact the file was 33Mb there was no wav form visible. I did take notice of an unusual message about "the render of midi was successful...", but this is entirely RTs and wav??

Went back to BIAB and tried my old trusted and true workflow of just dragging to Reaper. No joy, same thing as the other workflow.

I next hit return to factory setting (RTFS). Hit the play and the BIAB play back was a mess. So I exited and reopened. Opened all the same files and This time it was magic.

So what do we tell Newbees?
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drag and drop - 12/11/17 03:53 PM
Yeah, I thought I saw another thread posted elsewhere, but this still seems to be a problem in both RB & BB. Yes, and it does start to drift off.

I'm hoping once my other audio interface gets here it will improve the situation. I don't think it's related, but I needed a new interface anyway. It seems random that some tracks are longer than the region selected.

And the last time I tried to do it, my DAW correctly recognized the midi drop as 65 bpm tempo of the song, but they wave files reported something like 129.5. The other times that I've tested it, my DAW(Mixcraft) has always detected the correct tempo from the waves.

I know it's suppose to be set before, and that is how it was working, but there does seem to be an issue that creeps up. Or am I just missing something?
~Thanks!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Drag and drop - 12/11/17 08:50 PM
Just a guess, but when you select a RealTrack (or RealDrum) in BIAB, you can specify the timebase as Normal, Half-time or Double-time. Could your problem be because of one of these?
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drag and drop - 12/12/17 12:32 AM
I don't think so but I can check. It's the same behavior in RB, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with some plugins and/or my audio setup.

I haven't sent in any crash logs yet, but I've had plenty from trying out different VSTi's. I'm sure the feature is working for other people.
Posted By: balbuena Re: Drag and drop - 12/12/17 04:30 AM
Hello me too I have problems, the gold that I try a slip deposited from a selected region for example 4 bars, it works once and when I try a second time always on 4 selected bars it m export the whole track thank you good day
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drag and drop - 12/12/17 09:38 AM
That is the same behavior that I get. Sometimes it works, but most the time it will freeze the second time it tries to render a drop, and it just stays gold/yellow. The window also seems to do a refresh but I think that's normal.

I'll have to still play with it, because the program has been crashing, but still allowing me to work in it so I think just restarting the program may solve it. This is in both BIAB and RB, although RB seems to fare better at it, BIAB doesn't work at all.

The midi drops fine, it is the audio after the first or second drop it freezes or just renders the entire track.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 12/21/17 09:19 AM
Coolbreeze when you say the midi drop is fine does it always work and would I be able to drag a midi part into my Mixcraft daw? As I posted several months ago I returned BIAB which I was unhappy about because I really need midi parts and have filled the gap by buying in a lot of them but I'd love what BIAB has to offer.
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drag and drop - 12/21/17 02:27 PM
@paulsaunderspriem

Yes, the midi part seems to work fine, but I think it did mess up a couple times. I will have to test it again later. I also noticed that rebooting my system would get me further along in rendering the audio part. I've just been using RealBand to record and mix in, then finalizing it in MC.

BIAB is not currently working for me, but I suspect it is partly my system setup. If I was just worried about midi, then I would just fire up Jammer Pro, that would let me get a little bit more into the midi.

I got BIAB to use the real tracks, so that is what I've been mostly focused on using with RB. I'm still a bit unclear on the midi import and stylemaker, but they are still cool and useful features.

While typing this I decided to test BIAB, and here are the results. The midi tracks worked, but the audio track ignored the section boundary after the first drop and exports the entire track. Hence why I'm not using it now.

That's about its only saving grace for me is the midi, it's not as versatile as Rapid Composer or JP, but it is the most feature complete program. I'd also probably have to say it is the most fun, and there is a lot of good support for BIAB.

What's not to love, BIAB does have a lot to offer, but like all software you may have to workaround some things.
Posted By: paulsaunderspriem Re: Drag and drop - 12/21/17 06:00 PM
Thanks mate that is very handy. If your music is on the net e.g Youtube , Soundcloud I'll give it a listen. The only instrument I play is chromatic harmonica so this DAW/midi stuff is the only way I can go being physically handicapped. My songs are on Youtube and Soundcloud under my name
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: Drag and drop - 12/22/17 10:26 PM
Yep, followed you on SC.
© PG Music Forums